Knight

I agree with you UNLV... I will take Knight over most of the other people on the list... I just do not want to drag our feet and lose our chance on him as well.        With all the names that we have had on our list I would have taken 1st Jason Capel, 2nd Terry Evans, and 3rd Sean Sutton with 4th being Pat Knight....            (Capel may have just been a pipe dream that was leaked out, but it got my hopes up)

Well, given the candidates left, I'd go with Skelton first, then Knight, but I don't think Bubba is even on the shortlist.  While I don't like that Knight hasn't won, I also have to be honest--Lubbock has got to be about the most difficult place on the planet to recruit basketball players to.  It's a medium-sized town in the middle of absolutely nowhere; it's virtually all white, and football will always be king there.  It can't be easy to recruit talent there--especially when your opposition are the likes of Kansas and Texas.

The Southland ain't the Big XII, that's for sure.  If Knight can run a program, I think he'd have a good chance of success here.  Of the rest of the guys, I don't think Sutton is actually in the running at all because of the legalities; Cyprien bothers me because of the whole resume thing at USL, and I'll admit I don't really know much at all about Monarch or Seltzer.

Frankly, I'm glad that Evans was honest/loud-mouthed enough to make it clear he really didn't want to be here, and his heart is in Oklahoma.  I think he'd have been a fine coach--his resume was very impressive, but if he really doesn't want to be here, we're probably better off without him--he'd have left the first chance he had to upgrade, anyway.

As far as excuses, UNLV, there are none.  This is still an awful conference, with three or four schools that shouldn't even be Division I.  Any good coach, given decent recruiting abilities, should be able to win given the advantages in facilities, funding, and fan base that LU has over most of the Southland.

[quote name="Bruce" post="992124" timestamp="1301773521"]
Well, given the candidates left, I'd go with Skelton first, then Knight, but I don't think Bubba is even on the shortlist.  While I don't like that Knight hasn't won, I also have to be honest--Lubbock has got to be about the most difficult place on the planet to recruit basketball players to.  It's a medium-sized town in the middle of absolutely nowhere; it's virtually all white, and football will always be king there.  It can't be easy to recruit talent there--especially when your opposition are the likes of Kansas and Texas.

The Southland ain't the Big XII, that's for sure.  If Knight can run a program, I think he'd have a good chance of success here.  Of the rest of the guys, I don't think Sutton is actually in the running at all because of the legalities; Cyprien bothers me because of the whole resume thing at USL, and I'll admit I don't really know much at all about Monarch or Seltzer.

Frankly, I'm glad that Evans was honest/loud-mouthed enough to make it clear he really didn't want to be here, and his heart is in Oklahoma.  I think he'd have been a fine coach--his resume was very impressive, but if he really doesn't want to be here, we're probably better off without him--he'd have left the first chance he had to upgrade, anyway.

As far as excuses, UNLV, there are none.  This is still an awful conference, with three or four schools that shouldn't even be Division I.  Any good coach, given decent recruiting abilities, should be able to win given the advantages in facilities, funding, and fan base that LU has over most of the Southland.

[/quote]

[/i]Lubbock has got to be about the most difficult place on the planet to recruit basketball players to.  It's a medium-sized town in the middle of absolutely nowhere; it's virtually all white[/i]

hmm..sounds like Kansas!

[quote name="UNLV" post="992110" timestamp="1301770797"]
It seems now that Evans is out, the job will go to Knight. I'd like to point out how many of you said you don't
want a proven loser to be hired. Will I hear a consistent message or excuses for Knight?
[/quote]

I really don't care if Evans pulled his name out but I think Knight is a bad choice.  I would go with several of the other choices before Knight.  Texas Tech has had some really good basketball teams in the not too distant past and he sent them into the toilet.  Well, I guess that's one good thing for him.  He is used to being in the toilet so we'll stay right there with him on board.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="992136" timestamp="1301775748"]
[quote author=Bruce link=topic=82625.msg992124#msg992124 date=1301773521]

[/quote]

[/i]Lubbock has got to be about the most difficult place on the planet to recruit basketball players to.  It's a medium-sized town in the middle of absolutely nowhere; it's virtually all white[/i]

hmm..sounds like Kansas!
[/quote]The reason why people go to KU is because of the tradition plus they get to the tournament every year. TT doesnt have a real history on the bball court. Knight never had a chance to be successful at Tech when Daddy Knight left.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="992136" timestamp="1301775748"]

[/quote]

hmm..sounds like Kansas!
[/quote]
KU is only a little over 30 minutes from KC

[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="992169" timestamp="1301781851"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=82625.msg992136#msg992136 date=1301775748]

[/quote]

hmm..sounds like Kansas!
[/quote]
KU is only a little over 30 minutes from KC
[/quote]

30 minutes in Kansas equals a week in hell..altho, i think 30 minutes in Lubbock =2 weeks...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder