Cross A Potential Candidate For LU Job

[quote name="WBbear" post="988381" timestamp="1301098040"]
[quote author=BadMedicine link=topic=82077.msg988378#msg988378 date=1301097585]
Brad Stevens, coach at Butler, was probably the youngest D1 coach (29 I think) when he got that job.  He's worked out nicely for them.
[/quote]I'm all for giving Cross a shot but I don't see it happening right now...not enough votes in the room for him today but that can change. Lets see what transpire over the next two weeks. This could get interesting.
[/quote]

I sure hope we don't hire someone that's already proven they can lose.  I love Alvin Brooks and what he did for LU but he scares me with his record at UH.  Green's record is impressive so he'd be at the top of my list of the names being thrown around.  I wouldn't mind if we went with Cross even if he is a little kid.  Especially if his teams actually play defense...but most importantly he's shown he can win.

Assistants always scare me but who knows..I'm sure every single great head coach out there was an assistant at one point.  I do tend to agree that our job apparently is much less attractive than it used to be back when we hired Newell.  We just need to step up and pay somebody.

[quote name="AggiesWeAreNot" post="988748" timestamp="1301157259"]
[quote author=WBbear link=topic=82077.msg988381#msg988381 date=1301098040]
[quote author=BadMedicine link=topic=82077.msg988378#msg988378 date=1301097585]
Brad Stevens, coach at Butler, was probably the youngest D1 coach (29 I think) when he got that job.  He's worked out nicely for them.
[/quote]I'm all for giving Cross a shot but I don't see it happening right now...not enough votes in the room for him today but that can change. Lets see what transpire over the next two weeks. This could get interesting.
[/quote]

I sure hope we don't hire someone that's already proven they can lose.  I love Alvin Brooks and what he did for LU but he scares me with his record at UH.  Green's record is impressive so he'd be at the top of my list of the names being thrown around.  I wouldn't mind if we went with Cross even if he is a little kid.  Especially if his teams actually play defense...but most importantly he's shown he can win.

Assistants always scare me but who knows..I'm sure every single great head coach out there was an assistant at one point.  I do tend to agree that our job apparently is much less attractive than it used to be back when we hired Newell.  We just need to step up and pay somebody.
[/quote]Cross may be the best candidate for the price we want to pay. If the big money is not there he's our man. It should be a nice increase in salary for Cross and we can save on relocation expenses. We need to get this one right.

Check out Sports Talk with Fred Davis today at 6 pm tonight on KSETLIVE.com or 1300 AM... Chad Cooper is stopping by to chat about the Lamar HC Vacancy, Lamar State Coach Matt Cross will be on and Mark Foreman, legendary assistant football coach at West Orange will be by too... check it out - call with questions - 409-898-4400

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder