Cutting all Texas sports???

I heard a report on the radio this morning that 1000 school districts in Texas could be forced to cut UIL sports completely to survive the state budget cuts.  Is this just a media ploy to get the publics attention or a very real possibility in the face of the deep cuts?  Would like to get everyone's perspective on this as I think that either way, Texas sports is going to look differently at this time next year.

[quote name="pepperspray" post="971402" timestamp="1298557098"]
I heard a report on the radio this morning that 1000 school districts in Texas could be forced to cut UIL sports completely to survive the state budget cuts.  Is this just a media ploy to get the publics attention or a very real possibility in the face of the deep cuts?  Would like to get everyone's perspective on this as I think that either way, Texas sports is going to look differently at this time next year.
[/quote]

Pepperspray, I heard the same thing on the radio on my drive into work this morning.
I'm wondering, are they planning to cut all UIL sports, or those that don't generate any revenue?
This is really getting ridiculous.

[quote name="pepperspray" post="971402" timestamp="1298557098"]
[/quote]
I KNOW THAT THIS YEAR A LOT OF SCHOOLS CANCELLED THE FRESHMAN AND JUNIOR VARSITY GAMES TO SAVE MONEY.  AND, WHEN THE GIRLS WERE AWAY AND THE BOYS WERE HOME, OR VICE VERSA, THEY STOPPED THAT, AND HAD THE BOYS AND GIRLS PLAY HOME TOGETHER TO SAVE TRAVEL EXPENSES. THEY ALSO CUT THE MILEAGE FEE FOR THE OFFICIALS. BUT, SINCE GAS IS ALMOST $3 OR $4 A GALLON, IT WILL BE HARD TO FIND OFFICIALS WHO WILL TRAVEL TO OUTSIDE TOWN FOR LITTLE OR NOTHING.

Go by and check the prices. Gas is up to 3.20 and Diesel for the busses is around 3.48,today... Made me say ouch when i filled up. i can imagine what it will do to the school budgets.

How about not having playoffs...Save all schools extra travel and meals,  oh yeah then the UIL will have to make cuts because they can't get the Big venue revenue...Means it won't happen.

Running scared at the thought of what is fixing to happen to our education systems during this time. Hopefully evryone can make it through this...

Texas will be fine...oil prices hit the end consumer hard but is generally good for the state economy.  Refineries and the oil patch start to heat up, stimulating the local economies and creating jobs.

Tx has $9.4 billion in the "rainy day fund", Perry will just have to bite the bullet and tap into it.  And we better start DRILL HERE, DRILL NOW! again...open up all the gulf, Calif waters and ANWR for production.  Its just rediculous that we wait for violence in the mideast to even consider this.

Oh yeah, this is a girls bb forum, sorry!

Just the beginning folks: Heres an idea: When your[glow=red,2,300] softball[/glow] team is at home this season, ride a bike, get some exercise and save gas. When they are away, car pool. Just a thought :D :D :D :D :D I dont think it will stop at $4 this time. Get ready >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Drill Baby Drill..............................................................
Notice I kept on topic...... :D :D :D :D :D :D

This has nothing to do with a lack of crude oil.  Saudi Arabia has already announced that it would be able to raise its production to offset any losses from Libya.  There are lots of companies trading oil in the market that don't pump it out of the ground, refine it into fuels or sell those fuels to the public.  They play the market and try to capture values from swings in prices.  More oil is not the answer right now, stability and less interference from outsiders is.  As for schools saving money on travel by playing boys and girls at the same venue on the same night, wrong.  Every school in our district sent a separate bus for the boys and the girls where ever they went.  It was a good idea to get overall attendance up.

[quote name="Otter" post="972013" timestamp="1298611744"]
This has nothing to do with a lack of crude oil.  Saudi Arabia has already announced that it would be able to raise its production to offset any losses from Libya.  There are lots of companies trading oil in the market that don't pump it out of the ground, refine it into fuels or sell those fuels to the public.  They play the market and try to capture values from swings in prices.  More oil is not the answer right now, stability and less interference from outsiders is.  As for schools saving money on travel by playing boys and girls at the same venue on the same night, wrong.  Every school in our district sent a separate bus for the boys and the girls where ever they went.  It was a good idea to get overall attendance up.
[/quote]

see now, you are letting facts get in the way of a good story, ha.

I agree, its very complicated, but it does not excuse the timidity in exploration and production in the US territories, its going to happen...has to...sooner or later.  do it now.  At least we will have the CAPABILITY of producing enough for ourselves if it comes to that.           

I listened to a superintendent tell a group of teachers that he could cut ALL athletics from his district and that amounted to about 4% of the district budget. He could then cut all administrative positions, including himself, and save an additional 3%.  The problem is they expect the state to cut them 30%!  In his words, cutting athletics and any program in general wouldn't make a dent in this thing!  Payroll is 85% of the budget and teachers are being laid off already, including assistant coaches.  I think this whole budget thing is a LOT more serious than the public realizes at this point.

[quote name="Otter" post="972013" timestamp="1298611744"]
[/quote]MAYBE YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME,  I MEANT THAT THE GIRLS/BOYS PLAY THE SAME VENUE ON THE SAME NIGHT, INSTEAD OF THE GIRLS HOME AND THE BOYS AWAY PLAYING THE SAME OPPONENTS. (NOT BUS RIDES) BUT, THE ISSUE IS STILL CUTTING ATHLETICS OUT OF THE SCHOOLS. AND IT REALLY ISN'T FAIR FOR THE FRESHMEN/JUNIOR VARSITY.  CUTTING THEIR GAMES TO SAVE MONEY IS UNJUST!!!! SOMETIMES THEIR GAMES ARE BETTER TO WATCH THAN THE VARSITY!! :D

If it comes to deciding between someone's salary (teachers being laid off and yes it is happening now and as a teacher I know) and cutting jv games, etc. (my husband is a coach and my kids play all sports at varsity, j.v. and jr. high levels) then I would gladly say let us keep our jobs as teachers and cut jr. high, j.v. sports if it came to that.  People are not getting the bigger picture that sports are important but being able to support your family is more important, don't you think?  Since 85% is payroll, teachers are paying the price and your kids are going to also.  Life isn't fair.

I know that some school districts are considering the "pay to play" plan. A student would have to pay a fee (not sure what the fee cost would be) to be able to participate in any extracurricular activity (sports, band, cheerleading, drama, UIL academic competitions)

I doubt seriously if this could work, but I know of a couple of local districts that are considering it.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="978256" timestamp="1299350339"]
I know that some school districts are considering the "pay to play" plan. A student would have to pay a fee (not sure what the fee cost would be) to be able to participate in any extracurricular activity (sports, band, cheerleading, drama, UIL academic competitions)
[/quote]

Yeah, and then some students would "have" to be subsidized, and others whose parent(s) [u]work[/u] would have to pay up. Believe me, there is NO WAY a "poor" upcoming stud RB for example would ever be denied a spot on the team, while the sixth chair trombone player? Ha! Good Luck!

[quote name="pepperspray" post="972026" timestamp="1298632897"]
I listened to a superintendent tell a group of teachers that he could cut ALL athletics from his district and that amounted to about 4% of the district budget. He could then cut all administrative positions, including himself, and save an additional 3%.  The problem is they expect the state to cut them 30%!  In his words, cutting athletics and any program in general wouldn't make a dent in this thing!  Payroll is 85% of the budget and teachers are being laid off already, including assistant coaches.  I think this whole budget thing is a LOT more serious than the public realizes at this point.
[/quote]

It will be very difficult politically for a school district to layoff 20 or 30 teachers and not cut athletics or administrators regardless of how small a dent those cuts make in the budget.  One estimate is that school districts will lose approximately $1,000 per student in state money.  Multiply the total students in your districts by $1,000 and see the impact that loss will have.  School districts can't make up those losses by raising local tax rates because those rates are capped.  The Texas Comptroller, Susan Combs, warned legislators that this shortfall is not a one year issue, but will affect the state budget for at least the next four years.

No one is "entitled" to a job....... those sports affect around 30 kids, the coaches that coach them, the bus drivers, etc...

Sports is the reason alot of kids go to school and pass!!
Posted on: March 04, 2011, 03:14:04 PMPosted by: pirates 

I don't think you understood me.  MY HUSBAND IS A COACH, MY KIDS PLAY SPORTS, and I am a teacher.  I understand ALL SIDES.  No one mentioned anyone being "entitled" to a job. Saying that, you could also say your kids are not entitled to play sports either. Your kids are entitled to a free public EDUCATION, not being on a team.  I love watching my kids play. My daughter was 1st team all district and I was there supporting her at every game!  I want you to see the bigger picture of everything this will be doing to your school system.  Your children will be suffering with more than just cutting budgets for sports.  Teachers are laid off because of those same budget cuts.  Think about their families.  Yes, sports are important ( I totally agree) but so is classroom learning and resources to make that happen.  The thing is....we are losing more than most realize....sports is only part of it.

YOUR RIGHT PIRATES, It is a bad situation for many, not just parents, but athletics, teachers, kids, and the futures of  a lot kids (not just athletics). I would very much support more taxes at the local level like to our school district but not to the state or the government. Everyone is fed up with money going to Washington and it is thrown around like there is no tomorrow....see clip. I'm really glad this guy represents us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ocVj6UWiDI

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics