Top Scorer

Jasper#17

This debate will always continue, i.e. how many goals should a single player be allowed to score in a blow out game, should a team ever keep scoing until it has a double digit victory, can you beat a team as badly as you can as long as it is your substitutes doing it in the second half?
Writers note: I am not sure a 10-0 soccer score is worse than a 106-16 basketball score. In fact, I think not.
I have written before that goal scoring stats in soccer tend to be over-emphasized. One reason is because it is difficult to keep many other stats other than assists and saves. Girls who play up front should and will score more because of their positional location. When you play on a good team with lots of mismatches, the forward scores a lot. This focus tends to diminsh or overlook the contributions of defenders and midfielders who must work the ball to the forward. And yes, I said the same in the past when my daughter played forward and scored quite a bit before moving to the midfield this year.
Unfortunately, girls high school soccer does not enjoy a lot of depth in this area. Double digit scores are not going to prepare any team for tough playoff games. As much as I would like to see PNG advance, the Ozen game probably did not help them improve toward that goal.
By the way, the best scorers and best players in this area are that way primarily because they have trained with the Spindletop Club to devlop their skills. Everyone on this thread should tip their hat to Coach Mike Hughes and the trainers at SSSC.
And yes, I realize i just addressed 3 separate threads in a single post. Easier that way.
I am retiring as a poster of the soccer board. Good bye and good luck.

[quote name="sharkstooth" post="973776" timestamp="1298854610"]
Sounds Familiar....!  If you dont mind me asking?  what is your interest in Friendswood?  You are an avid fan...and us PNG fans really appreciate a true fan?
[/quote]

Not that familiar -- 4 girls scored the first 9 goals for PNG whereas 8 girls scored the 9 goals for Friendswood.

I am not sure I understand your question.  I am an avid fan -- that is my interest.

[quote name="watash" post="973711" timestamp="1298844724"]
This debate will always continue, i.e. how many goals should a single player be allowed to score in a blow out game, should a team ever keep scoing until it has a double digit victory, can you beat a team as badly as you can as long as it is your substitutes doing it in the second half?
Writers note: I am not sure a 10-0 soccer score is worse than a 106-16 basketball score. In fact, I think not.
I have written before that goal scoring stats in soccer tend to be over-emphasized. One reason is because it is difficult to keep many other stats other than assists and saves. Girls who play up front should and will score more because of their positional location. When you play on a good team with lots of mismatches, the forward scores a lot. This focus tends to diminsh or overlook the contributions of defenders and midfielders who must work the ball to the forward. And yes, I said the same in the past when my daughter played forward and scored quite a bit before moving to the midfield this year.
Unfortunately, girls high school soccer does not enjoy a lot of depth in this area. Double digit scores are not going to prepare any team for tough playoff games. As much as I would like to see PNG advance, the Ozen game probably did not help them improve toward that goal.
By the way, the best scorers and best players in this area are that way primarily because they have trained with the Spindletop Club to devlop their skills. Everyone on this thread should tip their hat to Coach Mike Hughes and the trainers at SSSC.
And yes, I realize i just addressed 3 separate threads in a single post. Easier that way.
I am retiring as a poster of the soccer board. Good bye and good luck.
[/quote]

Yes, Well put Watash.... The credit should go to Mike and SSSC at 1b after the girls themselves at 1a for dedicating themselves to become the best soccer players they could be! How long do you have to wait to draw your pension after retirement from the board? ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    asfdefsa01
    Newest Member
    asfdefsa01