Evadale vs. Leggett Game Thread/Leggett wins/Comments

WOSgrad

Well I dont quite know what some of you were talking about?? The fans were not any worst than any other town I have seen and the Refs were not as bad as I was expecting. Yea there were a few calls that were home calls but you have to expect that  at anyones home floor. The Rebs just got out hustled, plain and simple. #21 got in foul trouble and had to sit, and #32 and 43 did not take advantage of their size and let the smaller club just rebound until they made the basket. At one time Leggett got 5 off. boards in a row. And they lost the game by letting Leggett take the clock down to 5 sec. and then take the last shot to win the game, they played good def. and made the kid take a bad shot. Leggett missed the first shot but got 2 off. boards to win the game at the buzzer. The Rebs have got to take advantage of the mis match in size if they plan on doing anything in the playoffs. This is a team game and they have to know what their role is in this team. #21 has to stay out of foul trouble and play def. block shots and rebound the ball. #3 has got to shoot the 3, #32 has got to score inside and rebound, #43 has got to keep up the intence def. and steals and Rebound the ball. I just hope that they will learn from this loss. Because if they play a game like this one or the HD game, they will have a short trip in the playoffs. All this being said the home cooking did come out in the end. The score keeper turned the buzzer off after the last time out, Leggett started their drive with 5 sec. on the clock. he started from the top of the key drove the right side , he shot with 3 sec. and missed they got the rebound came down and went back up and missed again. the clock ran out, and then one of their players went up  and put it back up. The clock was at 0 right after the second player shot, and there is no way the third guy got that shot off. And the buzzer still has not gone off.

Like they warned...Red Horse!  We've all heard of long and short seconds, guess that was on of those LONG seconds!

You're 100% right Blue.  The Big guys missed enough shots down low to win by 15.  Yes, they were contested shots, but our big guys are strong physically and we're just not playing that way.  Well, at times we look flat-out stout, and times we look soft and timid.  #21 stayed open underneath but we just were too late getting him the ball.
It was a good game that could have gone either way but the Rebs must start playing through adversity or we'll only miss a couple practices in baseball. 

your right it was not the refs that lost the game. i wont say anything about it again. you have the talent now step up and be men put your egos aside and play the way your coached instead of how you think you should play. all the hot shot trying to force the ball don't work oh its pretty but it wont get the team to regionals ( big reb) your loyal fan(big jim) in case you don't know who your speaking to about whinning!!!

[quote name="bigreb" post="963426" timestamp="1297252643"]
But anytime we lose you whine about the refs.  Rebels are not supposed to whine.  Refs are part of the game and they normally blow calls on both sides.  They can't see it all. 
[/quote] Your so right. The refs are not the ones that missed 7 layups in the first half, and their not the ones that could not boxout and out rebound the smaller players. Refs are a part of the game and you have to adjust to the way they are calling the game. The refs had nothing to do with the out come of this game. If the Rebs take care of their jobs they should have won this game by 20 points and then the ref dont have a chance to make a call at the end of the game to win or loss it. And the ref that told you that the hand is part of the ball is right, but the arm is not. I know the call you are refering to and the Evadale player hit the guy right across the forarms. Like I said Make the shots, and rebound the ball and you win. The refs made call that could have gone eather way

Lets don't forget that Red Horse played their rears off! 
BUT...if the Rebels make the high percentage shots under the basket, its a 15 point Rebel win....I think we're all saying the same thing (kinda).  The inside game is there but often times we just don't "finish". 

I was not at the game last night, so I can't speak with authority about what happened on the court, but I can say one thing for sure. Leggett likely has a good team, but they are at the end of their first season. It is a basketball only school that got to start basketball of season the first day of school, while the Rebels have been through a preschool football workouts and a 13 week season and playoffs before they hung up the pads and headed for the gym.

I am so proud of this group of players, everyone of them has been practicing and playing since August 1st. How many of us would even care to match up with the hours and hours of practice, close to 50 games (football & basketball) and the hours of bus rides. I believe that this team will be just fine. They have two more games to close out district play. They win on Friday and they claim the district crown. These players have brought the program back from some of its lowest points so just keep on coming to the games, cheering your lungs out and watch what is sure to be a great show from here on out.

Go get em Rebels!

What you say does make sense.  But Evadale is certainly not the only school in the area that has athletes that play every sport and compete every day, some for 4 years.  It is an admirable quality that the athletes in small schools possess but it's certainly not unique to Evadale.
But I do see your point in regards to a Football school going against a non football school in the game of basketball.  The schools that don't play basketball certainly start bouncing the ball sooner.  But this has been the case for many, many years.

Good luck to the Rebels Friday night.

i can understand using the basketball school only excuse if this was one of the first games of the season but its not so i dont think that them starting basketball a little early had anything to do with it HD has played just as many football games and basketball games as Evadale and they still seem to not use that as an excuse

[quote name="D WADE" post="963769" timestamp="1297293420"]
i can understand using the basketball school only excuse if this was one of the first games of the season but its not so i dont think that them starting basketball a little early had anything to do with it HD has played just as many football games and basketball games as Evadale and they still seem to not use that as an excuse
[/quote]

No EXCUSES!  We got beat and will learn from it!  Leggett just beat us plain and simple!

[quote name="whsalum" post="963881" timestamp="1297309052"]
It's not unusual fo the basketball only schools to have an advantage early in the season.That is usually gone before christmas, after that the clubs are pretty much even as far as preparation goes.
[/quote] This game had nothing to do with Leggett being just a basketball school. It had everthing to do with witch team wonted the win more. And as hard as leggett hit the boards  it was eazy to see that they just wonted it more. Their biggest kid was 6'1'' and they out rebounded the rebs 2 to 1 all night. And finished the game with 2 off. borads to win.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder