Silsbee Soccer - Undefeated Champions???

Not Bashing, Not trying to be disrespectful, but..

Silsbee IMO is not (at this point) as good as some people are making them out to be. Do i believe they are a good team this year? Yes. The Undefeated champions of the world that it seems as if some people are trying to make them out to be? Not quite. Yes, they have made a great turnaround and have started the season off extremely well, but...

1. Who have they Played?
     An undefeated 5-0 record is great, but the best teams don't care what your record is and unless that undefeated record is against quality teams it doesn't mean a whole lot when you against a quality team. Silsbee's wins were over (According to another post on here) HJ, HF, Jasper, and BC (x2). (All 3A teams)

...2010 Season...
           - One playoff team.. HF (3rd Place behind PNG and Nederland)... and 3 (3A) non-playoff teams.

List of some notable Seniors from last years teams..

HJ
1st Team All District
Chris Brown - Sr
2nd Team All District
Josh Self - Sr
Caleb Bernsen - Sr

Jasper
1st Team All District
Anthony Martinez - Sr
2nd Team All District
Ossama Zafar - Sr
Richard O'Brien - Sr

HF
Defensive MVP - Travis Briggs  HF  Sr.
First Team All District
Kurtis Bell  HF  Sr.
Colton Romero  HF  Sr.
Marco Areualo  HF  Sr.
Second Team All District
Travis Bertrand  HF Sr.
Eric Maggio  HF  Sr.
Terry Affolter  HF  Sr.

... So, the one playoff team graduates 7 all district players.. Jasper and HJ graduated some quality players as well.. I Know for a fact that HJ is in a rebuilding year after losing 7 starters from last years team.. HF should be after losing that many quality players.. Not sure about Jasper or Bridge City.

2. The One time they were "beaten"...
          (The 2-1 Scrimmage Lose to HJ) - AND YES I REALIZE IT WAS A SCRIMMAGE AND DOES NOT COUNT

- While i may be incorrect (but i doubt it), I find it VERY difficult to believe that (as one poster said) the Silsbee team did not play their better players (were saving them for the regular season i believe he/she said), and instead opted to play the backups.. The point of a scrimmage is to evaluate your team and see what works and what doesn't.. How can you do this with your starters on the bench? You have to put the players you intend to have on the field during the season in during the scrimmage to evaluate...

3. District Championship?

Don't you think it's too early to be talking about a district championship seeing that they have not even started district yet? Yes, Silsbee is a much better team than they were last year, but to be claiming a possible district championship this early after having finished (I believe) in 7th last season is a bit drastic if you ask me.

Again: Not trying to disrespect Silsbee, Silsbee Soccer Team, Coach, Players, etc.. (Coach and Players: Keep doing what you're doing and keep up the good work.. Win district and I'll be pulling for you in the playoffs for sure).. Just trying to make a point to some of the people posting on here.. Some of you have gone a little overboard.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="hj_hawk_60" post="957543" timestamp="1296366148"]

Silsbee IMO is not (at this point) as good as some people are making them out to be. Do i believe they are a good team this year? Yes. The Undefeated champions of the world that it seems as if some people are trying to make them out to be? Not quite. Yes, they have made a great turnaround and have started the season off extremely well, but...

1. Who have they Played?
     An undefeated 5-0 record is great, but the best teams don't care what your record is and unless that undefeated record is against quality teams it doesn't mean a whole lot when you against a quality team. Silsbee's wins were over (According to another post on here) HJ, HF, Jasper, and BC (x2). (All 3A teams)

...2010 Season...
           - One playoff team.. HF (3rd Place behind PNG and Nederland)... and 3 (3A) non-playoff teams.

HJ
1st Team All District
Chris Brown - Sr
2nd Team All District
Josh Self - Sr
Caleb Bernsen - Sr

Jasper
1st Team All District
Anthony Martinez - Sr
2nd Team All District
Ossama Zafar - Sr
Richard O'Brien - Sr

HF
First Team All District
Kurtis Bell  HF  Sr.
Colton Romero  HF  Sr.
Marco Areualo  HF  Sr.
Second Team All District
Travis Bertrand  HF Sr.
Eric Maggio  HF  Sr.
Terry Affolter  HF  Sr.

... So, the one playoff team graduates 7 all district players.. Jasper and HJ graduated some quality players as well.. I Know for a fact that HJ is in a rebuilding year after losing 7 starters from last years team.. HF should be after losing that many quality players.. Not sure about Jasper or Bridge City.

(The 2-1 Scrimmage Lose to HJ) - AND YES I REALIZE IT WAS A SCRIMMAGE AND DOES NOT COUNT

- While i may be incorrect (but i doubt it), I find it VERY difficult to believe that (as one poster said) the Silsbee team did not play their better players (were saving them for the regular season i believe he/she said), and instead opted to play the backups.. The point of a scrimmage is to evaluate your team and see what works and what doesn't.. How can you do this with your starters on the bench? You have to put the players you intend to have on the field during the season in during the scrimmage to evaluate...

Don't you think it's too early to be talking about a district championship seeing that they have not even started district yet? Yes, Silsbee is a much better team than they were last year, but to be claiming a possible district championship this early after having finished (I believe) in 7th last season is a bit drastic if you ask me.

Again: Not trying to disrespect Silsbee, Silsbee Soccer Team, Coach, Players, etc.. (Coach and Players: Keep doing what you're doing and keep up the good work.. Win district and I'll be pulling for you in the playoffs for sure).. Just trying to make a point to some of the people posting on here.. Some of you have gone a little overboard.
[/quote]

Good grief, "RAMBLE ON IOUS," talk about going overboard.

hj person you must be bitter about losing to Silsbee. Yes Silsbee is undefeated, and there is not a thing you can do about it, right now. Well, maybe bet them on the field, in a game. What ever type of teams Silsbee has played, the fact of the matter is they have won them all, and there is nothing wrong with team spirit on this board. With these team in our district it will be hard to win every game so we may lose. But you have personally attacked Silsbee for what, not losing, not losing to your team. Its a long season, and lots of good teams to go. Go Tigers!!!

Personally attacked?? At what point did i ever personally attack Silsbee, the soccer team, any players or coaches?? All i have done is question the thinking behind some of the posts on this board.. Some of the posts about Silsbee soccer would lead you to believe they should have been playing against Spain in the World Cup last summer.. All i'm saying is that Some posters are being over presumptuous in assuming that Silsbee will win district..

[quote name="SexyTigger" post="957550" timestamp="1296367479"]
haha we are just having a bit of fun...I know the chance of us winning district is very small but we can still act confident cant we?
[/quote]

Confidence is great.. By all means support your team through and through.. All i'm saying is some of the statements being made are drastically overconfident and a few are ridiculous..

[quote name="tigersvoice" post="957593" timestamp="1296398830"]
[quote author=hj_hawk_60 link=topic=79501.msg957543#msg957543 date=1296366148]

1. Who have they Played?

...2010 Season...

HJ
1st Team All District
Chris Brown - Sr
2nd Team All District
Josh Self - Sr
Caleb Bernsen - Sr

Jasper
1st Team All District
Anthony Martinez - Sr
2nd Team All District
Ossama Zafar - Sr
Richard O'Brien - Sr

HF
First Team All District
Kurtis Bell  HF  Sr.
Colton Romero  HF  Sr.
Marco Areualo  HF  Sr.
Second Team All District
Travis Bertrand  HF Sr.
Eric Maggio  HF  Sr.
Terry Affolter  HF  Sr.

[/quote]

Good grief, "RAMBLE ON IOUS," talk about going overboard.
[/quote]

My 1 post is probably very small compared to the several topics that contain the type of posts I am referring to

Well you believe that you trying to put down Silsbee, but really you are being disrespectful to all the 3A soccer teams in this area.  Silsbee kids are happy that they are winning.  No one is making you read the Silsbee threads, so if you have a problem with the Tigers' team spirit then I suggest to not read them.  I understand how you think Silsbee is overconfident, but at least they have confidence, whereas last year there was no confidence.

Guest yourmom1239
Sound to me like some are scared of new competition?? This rambling is not going to make Silsbee lose. After all, we have James Trabing.
Im looking forward to seeing the Tigers play "teams of substance" and win. After all, the only way you become a team of substance is not only winning games, but having pride in your team and its players. Thats what Silsbee has.

#3 for MVP and Silsbee as DISTRICT CHAMPS!

Everyone is misenterpreting my meaning.. My meaning is not to put anyone down.. I support all the guys out there playing the game.. Wins are good. Confidence is good. Overconfidence however is not. Theres a difference between confident and cocky.. Some of the posts i have ride are more of the latter.. It would be a good goal for silsbee to want to win district, but it seems as if some posters EXPECT it. That's the difference..

Guest yourmom1239
[quote name="hj_hawk_60" post="959072" timestamp="1296607161"]
Everyone is misenterpreting my meaning.. My meaning is not to put anyone down.. I support all the guys out there playing the game.. Wins are good. Confidence is good. Overconfidence however is not. Theres a difference between confident and cocky.. Some of the posts i have ride are more of the latter.. It would be a good goal for silsbee to want to win district, but it seems as if some posters EXPECT it. That's the difference..
[/quote]

*Accept

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    katty
    Newest Member
    katty