Blarge

mfd814

anyone heard of it called in a game? 

Player A going up for a shot near the ft line,  player B atempting to take a charge.  Ref closest to play calls a block,  ref on sideline away from play calls a charge. 3rd ref never gets in the mix.  meeting between officials, decided its a blarge,  both players given fouls, basket is no good, and its a jump ball. 

happened last night,  play was very close, but player A was to the side of the defensive player, i would have called a block.

It is where you have a 'charge' call by one ref and a 'block' call by another ref.  Refs usually come together and discuss.  Out of that discussion they can come to an agreement of one of the 2 calls or if they feel there was not a definite charge or block they have a double personal foul which is a personal foul on each player and possession goes to the team based on possession arrow.  It does not happen very often as usually during the discussion they come out with a definite call.  This is one of those times you end up ticking off both coaches.

[quote name="BH85" post="955418" timestamp="1296094885"]
It is where you have a 'charge' call by one ref and a 'block' call by another ref.  Refs usually come together and discuss.  Out of that discussion they can come to an agreement of one of the 2 calls or [b]if they feel there was not a definite charge or block [/b] they have a double personal foul which is a personal foul on each player and possession goes to the team based on possession arrow.  It does not happen very often as usually during the discussion they come out with a definite call.  This is one of those times you end up ticking off both coaches.
[/quote]

Why not just call it a no foul if they're not sure?

It seem like the refs were in a power struggle. One would not let the other over rule his call. It should have been a jump ball no fouls on either player. A younger ref making one call the older ref calling something different = A Power Struggle = A Blarge.  Come on man the head ref needs to make the call. 99.9% of the time when two refs have two different calls on a play. They come together talk about it and it turns into one call by one ref(head ref) and that's that. Coaches have to live with the call.

Yes, there is a call that is a blarge. I am a referee in the Beaumont chapter, and my nephew was playing in the game so I attended, and the way it should have happened was it is the younger officials call to make because he was under the basket if i am not mistaken.  When the other official "older referee" blew his whistle he should have allowed the younger referee to take the call.  So for those of you who state it was a power struggle i am not quite sure it was.  It was a matter of doing the right thing and in that situation it a blarge was correct.  But I do believe the older referee should have gave it up to the younger referee because he was underneath the basket.

[quote name="cougarshow33" post="956483" timestamp="1296240031"]
Yes, there is a call that is a blarge. I am a referee in the Beaumont chapter, and my nephew was playing in the game so I attended, and the way it should have happened was it is the younger officials call to make because he was under the basket if i am not mistaken.  When the other official "older referee" blew his whistle he should have allowed the younger referee to take the call.  So for those of you who state it was a power struggle i am not quite sure it was.  It was a matter of doing the right thing and in that situation it a blarge was correct.  But I do believe the older referee should have gave it up to the younger referee because he was underneath the basket.
[/quote]

Your a referee? good I have a scenario for you that I want to see what the call is....
Team A has the ball. A player for Team A shoots the ball, while the ball is in the air a player for Team B is called for a loose ball foul during the course of the blockout. The shot goes in. Team A gets the points, the player for Team B gets the foul and it is Team B's ball. Correct?

[quote name="Kelly Basketball" post="956700" timestamp="1296260682"]
[quote author=cougarshow33 link=topic=79311.msg956483#msg956483 date=1296240031]
[/quote]

Your a referee? good I have a scenario for you that I want to see what the call is....
Team A has the ball. A player for Team A shoots the ball, while the ball is in the air a player for Team B is called for a loose ball foul during the course of the blockout. The shot goes in. Team A gets the points, the player for Team B gets the foul and it is Team B's ball. Correct?
[/quote]You are correct. I saw that call made last year at a EC OF game. Teams A player made a foul away from the ball, as team A. shot the ball. And with there being only 3 team fouls on team A Team B gets the ball. If team B would have been in the bonus they would have  a 1 and 1 and could have gotten a 5 point swing

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder