Lifting Weights

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="956116" timestamp="1296177793"]
Why are you guys debating this? This would not be a discussion 10 or more years ago. What ever happen to the good old days when parents let the coaches coach and the teachers teach? I don't see coaches on here asking, why do you raise your kids the way you do, why is your child disrepectful or why won't your child do what it takes to get better? The kids that want to get better are a special breed. It is born not developed. Why do we start our kids playing sports at 4 years old? Wait, I know because parents have big dreams for their kids. Maybe just maybe my kid will be in that .0001% of the kids who get a scholarship through sports. Why all the fuss about weight lifting? If your kid does not like it, then let them quit. Personally I would tell my child, do what the coaches say. Life is lived by your actions, words have no value if there is no subtance.
[/quote]

I AGREE WITH YOU 100% 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest speechless
just because it is the status quo doesnt make it okay or the best method

and you submit lesson plans to principals so they know what you are doing not so they can tell you what to do

there are curriculums that are developed by districts that fall within the state guidelines that tell what AREAS must be taught

they dont tell when or how they should be taught

if that were the case every teacher would use the exact same methods

Guest speechless
[quote]Naive?  Speechless.  More like clueless.  I do not know what you do for a living but you are not involved in coaching because I have been for a long time and I stand behind my last statement. [/quote]

lol!  you think you know more than you do

[quote]since this is the girls forum...i know of a few schools that let the girls lift weights to coincide with other sports...is the same concepts true also?  i dont really think ad's pay that much attention to the girls as they do the boys.[/quote]

most of the time if the girls are going through the same thing as the guys it is simply to justify what is going on on the boys side

If they don't like what you're doing, they will tell you to fix it. They are the boss and can overrule us at their pleasure if they are unsatisfied with the job we are doing (AD in coaching or principal in the classroom).

And whether its the best method or not, its reality.

Have you ever taught in public education in Texas? Exactly what industry do you work in where your boss let's you do whatever you want with no oversight? I'd love to look into it and see if I'm qualified. Sounds like a good deal :)

[quote name="speechless" post="956339" timestamp="1296228409"]
[quote]Naive?  Speechless.  More like clueless.  I do not know what you do for a living but you are not involved in coaching because I have been for a long time and I stand behind my last statement. [/quote]

lol!  you think you know more than you do

[quote]since this is the girls forum...i know of a few schools that let the girls lift weights to coincide with other sports...is the same concepts true also?  i dont really think ad's pay that much attention to the girls as they do the boys.[/quote]

most of the time if the girls are going through the same thing as the guys it is simply to justify what is going on on the boys side
[/quote]

LOL :D

Guest speechless
[quote]If they don't like what you're doing, they will tell you to fix it. They are the boss and can overrule us at their pleasure if they are unsatisfied with the job we are doing (AD in coaching or principal in the classroom).

Have you ever taught in public education in Texas? Exactly what industry do you work in where your boss let's you do whatever you want with no oversight? I'd love to look into it and see if I'm qualified. Sounds like a good deal  [/quote]

sure they may correct you or may appeal to you to use more/other methodology but they dont come in on day one in your classroom and say this is the exact material you will teach and these are the days you will teach it on and these are the methods you will use to teach it.  what you mentioned is what happens when a teacher is not getting the job done "if they dont like what you are doing"  big difference in overruling ineffective methods versus demanding particular methods be used from day 1

ad's are there to direct the general athletic program, handle the paperwork, deal with uil rules interpretations, etc.

it is crossing the line when head coaches are not allowed to do what they feel is best for their program while in-season

setting a general standard for lifting is one thing (ex:  all sports two days per week) but when, how, what time, and what lifts is micro managing not directing

and that happens for one reason and one reason only

Here's the issue at 3a and below. There are many many many multisport athletes. The overall athletic program suffers if these athletes are constantly doing maintenance lifting.

So the question becomes do you believe in strength development on your 2 days a week 'in season' or is it about maintenance 'in season'? If football/volleyball focuses on maintenance and basketball focuses on maintenance and baseball/softball focuses on maintenance, then when do the multi/all sport athletes get stronger?

Keep in mind, the only time you have full control with all your athletes together is the athletic period (which are not separate most of the time at 3A and below). And please don't come at me with the 'in the summer' stuff and the kids need to be all self motivated. That's pie in the sky stuff. Most kids need to be coached and pushed.

Guest speechless
you say dont come at you with the summer stuff because you dont want to hear it because it is a legitimate option it is not pie in the sky it is reality if it wasnt then uil wouldnt have made it legal to be coached/pushed during the summer

i dont care if it is maintenance or not i want it to be what is best for that sport to help that sport succeed and that is why i hired that coach to run their program to the best of their ability

[quote] The overall athletic program suffers if these athletes are constantly doing maintenance lifting[/quote].

that is code for the football program suffers and everyone knows that

because there is many a sport where maintenance lifting is ideal during that season

basketball being one of them due to the number of games per week and tournaments

so what youre basically saying is that because a small school has multi sport athletes they should sacrifice what may be best for sports from november-may for the benefit of the sport august -november/december, correct?

hossfan, what questions?

[quote author=sfasuljack link=topic=79171.msg956342#msg956342 date=1296228585]
If they don't like what you're doing, they will tell you to fix it. They are the boss and can overrule us at their pleasure if they are unsatisfied with the job we are doing (AD in coaching or principal in the classroom).

Have you ever taught in public education in Texas? Exactly what industry do you work in where your boss let's you do whatever you want with no oversight? I'd love to look into it and see if I'm qualified. Sounds like a good deal :)

These

It's not code for anything. I want ALL the sports to succeed, not just football, please don't put words in my mouth.

You're obviously 'basketball only' and are unhappy where you are. Thats fine. Go somewhere where basketball is the focus. I'd suggest 5A where you'll find many (not all, but many) programs where the basketball coach has complete control of their program and
there is very little sharing of athletes. If you desire a smaller school environment, those are out there as well.

Guest speechless
not basketball only

not basketball at all

just know that is where the friction arises most of the time

you said you want all sports to succeed

i would presume at the highest level possible, correct?

if that is the case then the head coach of each respective sport is the person that should be making daily decisions regarding that program while in season

Unless the rules have changed, which I don't think they have, you cannot REQUIRE participation in the summer. It's voluntary. If I tell a kid they have to do something in the summer, I'll be in hot water in a hurry. We can only encourage. And in many districts, there is little pay(can you say 'shrinking budgets everywhere'?) for coaches to work the 'camp' in the summer.

In the places i've been, the head coach of a sport is in charge of practice planning, scheming, schedule, who plays, etc... And most cases, there is little interference from the AD. Sometimes they are in charge of weight training, sometimes not. And where they were in charge of the weights, lets just say they decided not to spend much time in there (that's what I've seen).

[quote name="speechless" post="956399" timestamp="1296232757"]
very few coaches work for pay in the summer

its part of the job

it cannot be required but it can be encouraged

[/quote]

Now you're kinda startin to catch on:) Coaches work countless extra hours because they love it (we don't get rich coaching high school I promise you). They pay us for some extra days. But if you think all coaches are gonna work the summers for free because its part of the job, your starting to get back to pie in the sky stuff.

[quote name="sfasuljack" post="956411" timestamp="1296233609"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=79171.msg956399#msg956399 date=1296232757]

its part of the job

[/quote]

Now you're kinda startin to catch on:) Coaches work countless extra hours because they love it (we don't get rich coaching high school I promise you). They pay us for some extra days. But if you think all coaches are gonna work the summers for free because its part of the job, your starting to get back to pie in the sky stuff.
[/quote]
quest?  why cant head coaches be a part of summer leagues?

Guest speechless
how can the head coach be in charge of practice planning when he/she is told they have to be in the weight room during the athletic period

last i checked the athletic period is used for practice

well at least in some sports

[quote name="TEARDROP" post="956413" timestamp="1296233758"]
[quote author=sfasuljack link=topic=79171.msg956411#msg956411 date=1296233609]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=79171.msg956399#msg956399 date=1296232757]

its part of the job

[/quote]

[/quote]
quest?  why cant head coaches be a part of summer leagues?
[/quote]

Against UIL rules. And that goes for asst coaches as well.

[quote name="speechless" post="956415" timestamp="1296233975"]
how can the head coach be in charge of practice planning when he/she is told they have to be in the weight room during the athletic period

last i checked the athletic period is used for practice

well at least in some sports
[/quote]

Thats the AD's call. And I'm bettin whoever that AD lets them do whatever they want as long as they stay under the 8 hour rule after school.

Pretty sure you're at 3a or below. Maybe you should consider 4a or 5a.

There are times during the school year girls/guys aren't competing and the training can be stepped up. You may be playing pre district and scrimmages A little sore, but coaches try to be aware of what athletes are in season and ones in offseason and modify workouts accordingly.But maybe on your situation spechless may be where ad is making every decision, micro-manages, and doesn't trust his or her coaches. If so that sucks but what is in the W-L column across the board. If all sports are playing are a high level then just deal with it. If not then voice your opinion to to school board. What is the problem really? You dont want your child to be forced to lift weights? Are you a coach that is being told what to make your athletes do?  Is it a girl /Guy argument?  And in some ciriculum it does tell teacher what when and how to teach.  I assure you some of the more successful programs around have good turnouts for summer workouts.  But in schools without much success prob not as good but that can be changed because with proper coaching and motivating one can turn into at least a hard working team. And if you work hard enough lifting and practice all kids will improve their athletic ability.

[quote name="diggstown" post="956421" timestamp="1296234511"]
There are times during the school year girls/guys aren't competing and the training can be stepped up. You may be playing pre district and scrimmages A little sore, but coaches try to be aware of what athletes are in season and ones in offseason and modify workouts accordingly.But maybe on your situation spechless may be where ad is making every decision, micro-manages, and doesn't trust his or her coaches. If so that sucks but what is in the W-L column across the board. If all sports are playing are a high level then just deal with it. If not then voice your opinion to to school board. What is the problem really? You dont want your child to be forced to lift weights? Are you a coach that is being told what to make your athletes do?  Is it a girl /Guy argument?  And in some ciriculum it does tell teacher what when and how to teach.  I assure you some of the more successful programs around have good turnouts for summer workouts.  But in schools without much success prob not as good but that can be changed because with proper coaching and motivating one can turn into at least a hard working team. And if you work hard enough lifting and practice all kids will improve their athletic ability.
[/quote]
nice :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami