EC Girls Basketball Team (weight lifting instead of Basketball Practice)

Guest tripple threat

Guest tripple threat
The EC girls basketball team is having to go through off season weight lifting during athletic PE???  This is crazy.  Off season should be for athletes who are not presently competing in a sport.  If the athlete is playing basketball then why on earth is she having to do heaving weight training during athletic PE instead of practicing basketball???  Sounds like the A.D. is not supporting basketball to me.  I would bet that if you look around at the other successful basketball teams in the area you would find that they are practicing basketball during athletic PE.  This isn't the first time that an AD (football coach) didn't support basketball in Winnie.  It can make for a quick exit when the community has enough and rallies together........

Guest tripple threat
Stay physically fit???  Really?  Nothing keeps you more physically fit than running up and down the basketball floor.  The athletes who are not participating in basketball need to be working out not the basketball players.  They should be working out in the gym.

Guest baseball25
You gotta stay strong during the season, you don't want to get weak, every good coach or program will try and get in the weight room during the season if they can, you don't want ur players to physically wear down during the season, you need to get in the weight room as much as you can!!!

[quote name="tripple threat" post="951459" timestamp="1295490319"]
Stay physically fit???  Really?  Nothing keeps you more physically fit than running up and down the basketball floor.  The athletes who are not participating in basketball need to be working out not the basketball players.  They should be working out in the gym.
[/quote]
Hey Tripple, If you never stop lifting weights then you will only have to go through the "initial soreness period" once that comes with just starting to work out ( minus the little aches & pains all good or bad athletes go through). I am in touch with a bunch of programs in the area & all of the successful programs go through weight training during the season.

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="951725" timestamp="1295542488"]
[quote author=tripple threat link=topic=78999.msg951459#msg951459 date=1295490319]
[/quote]
Hey Tripple, If you never stop lifting weights then you will only have to go through the "initial soreness period" once that comes with just starting to work out ( minus the little aches & pains all good or bad athletes go through). I am in touch with a bunch of programs in the area & all of the successful programs go through weight training during the season.
[/quote]

That's correct, but to miss a whole day not going in the gym at all....for weight lifting?  That's not smart to me.

I know the High Island coach has his girls lifting twice a week (mondays and wednesdays).  They get an hour and half off, before they start practice and it doesn't affect them any.  They may lose games, but not because another team is stronger than them, but because they are better athletes.

Good old "Universal Offseason"..... ::)  [u]No matter how it is spun[/u].... it is done to keep football players lifting during the offseason... It just spills over to girl's sports as justification to boys players the "the girl's are doing it too.."  

It is the coaches decision, but a questionable one for all non football sports involved.

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="951729" timestamp="1295542977"]
[quote author=Lt. Dangle link=topic=78999.msg951725#msg951725 date=1295542488]
[quote author=tripple threat link=topic=78999.msg951459#msg951459 date=1295490319]
[/quote]
[/quote]

That's correct, but to miss a whole day not going in the gym at all....for weight lifting?  That's not smart to me.
[/quote]
I didn't mean every day....just steady workout regiment.

Guest tripple threat
hjhawks you hit the nail right on the head!  I agree that it should be the coaches decision.  The girls varsity basketball coach that is not the AD nor the Volleyball coach.  It's basketball season and it should be up to the basketball coach and that isn't whats going down at EC.  The EC girls have a new coach for heavens sake who needs to spend as much time as possible in the basketball gym installing her new offense, defense, press, etc.....

All of our athletes go to the weight room and lift (offseason as well as basketball) for the 1'st  half of our athletic period every Monday and Wednesday.  This goes for boys and girls.  It is important to lift weights and work to get stronger!  You don't have to go in the weight room and lift heavy weights to get a good workout.  We go through circuit training and it has definitely paid off for some of our athletes.  To achieve at any sport, it is important that athletes spend time in the weight room and work to get better.  Weight training is just part of ANY sport.   We have golfers and tennis players in there lifting.  I have definitely seen some of my female athletes getting stronger and most of them bust their butts in the weight room!   ;)

Some of you need to get a grip on reality. These girls will become better all around athletes by a complete workout regiment, which includes strength training. This thinking poisons these kids minds, "baby you shouldn't have to work out". These girls don't all just play basketball. Other sports including track and softball require Muscular strength and Endurance as does basketball. The best way to fight off injuries during the year is to be strong.

We can agree to disagree 8)..... Over the course of a basketball season, by going to the weight room for 30 minutes, 2 days a week, you are giving up an hour of court time per week... over the course of the season, that is almost 15 hours of practice!  Give me 15 extra hours of practice any day...  No one is saying that kids shouldn't lift.... They should not be made to lift at a time that is convienent for another sport.  Why couldn't they lift after practice????????

They may be stronger, but lifting afterwards will also make you stronger.  Not a wise decision to give up court time.....

Well put Mike!!!  In my 32 years of coaching, lifting was a low priority.  COURT TIME, COURT TIME, COURT TIME!!!!!!  If you want to be a better basketball player, PLAY BASKETBALL!!  The ideal situation is getting your athletes to run cc in the fall to help get them in shape and lift some then.....then, when the season starts, lift AFTER practice.  I said Ideal because there are so many variables that come into play during the season.  Watching film, fatigue, coaches involved in coaching another team after one finishes.....I'm not a fan of a universal wight lifting program.  That is just my opinion from years of experience. 

Guest speechless
hard to mock what college programs do when there is quite a time availability differential

weight lifting is fine but at the basketball coaches discretion and when it best fits their schedule and not the AD's schedule

and weight lifting is great until it interferes with skill development in skill sports and basketball is a skill sport

if a kid gives up 30 minutes of court time twice a week for a month that is 4 hours a month over a 4 month season that is 16 hours of skill development

tell me 16 hours of skill development doesnt make a difference when lots of these kids only get to be in the gym during the season of multiple sport participation

i know a guy by the name of kevin durant who got laughed out of the nba combine for not being able to bench press 185 lbs

i wonder if that matters now

Guest tripple threat
Softball???  What?  Anyway the issue was about an AD forcing girls basketball players to be lifting "heavy" during athletic PE instead of practicing basketball in the gym.  I am okay with the basketball team lifting weights at the descretion of the basketball coach.  There is a lack of AD support when the basketball team is turned over to the volleyball coach for heavy weight lifting during basketball season.

Guest speechless
and NO....basketball players who are currently playing basketball should not be practicing softball during basketball season....you finish what you start and then move on to the next sport

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder