Bragging Post

Fri morn took my oldest son to help him get his first whitetail with his new Hoyt CRS, he had taken a cpl of Moufalon yrs back when he was a teenager with his Darton and hadn't bow hunted since. I hunt between Bevil Oaks and Pinewood on the North side of Pine Island, plan was with a N wind to hit the northern tips of the elbows along Pine Island and rattle, this way no deer could get downwind. Rattled 3 times, first time nuthing, second sequence nothing >we thought, on our way to the next spot we met a 17" 8pt heading to where we were, he got downwind and he was off, we started to get up and head on when a spike comes in the same way the 8pt did, next spot a 13-14" 8pt comes charging in not 3-4 min after I started, he stops at 17-20 yrds from my son, he never saw my son as he was doing his best to see where the rucus was comming from, he never saw ether of us, he stayed a min or so and was off. We picked up and started out and hadn't gone 50 yrds when I look up and see a doe heading our way, doe comes in to about 15-17yrds and stops broadside, son takes the shot, off she goes, I knew this would be a quick recovery as he dbl lunged her. I sat him over a feeder Fri eve, he got a good show and some awesome video of a 15" 8pt wanting to fight another small buck but the smaller one didn't want any along with a doe that didn't want the other deer around her corn. Before he left for Houston after the Sat morn hunt he told me out of all the deer he's taken and all the times he's been this was the absolute best time he's had. If I nor anyone I bring don't get a deer the rest of the season, this, has made my season..... 

[quote name="tvc184" post="901621" timestamp="1289232843"]
We had a guy bring his 14 year old daughter and she got a 110 pound doe with a bow. If anyone wants to argue that a 30 pound compound bow won't send an arrow through a deer, I can tell you that it can.
[/quote]

Good for her, but, I thought you had a minimum pull weight of something like 40-45 to be able to hunt whitetail.  Is that just an old wives' tale?

[quote name="westend1" post="901634" timestamp="1289233470"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=75731.msg901621#msg901621 date=1289232843]
We had a guy bring his 14 year old daughter and she got a 110 pound doe with a bow. If anyone wants to argue that a 30 pound compound bow won't send an arrow through a deer, I can tell you that it can.
[/quote]

Good for her, but, I thought you had a minimum pull weight of something like 40-45 to be able to hunt whitetail.  Is that just an old wives' tale?
[/quote]

It was changed the last legislature from a 40 pound minimum.

That is why I brought it up. There was a big debate over a lighter bow killing a deer and would it just wound an animal and blah blah blah.

People forget that a 40 pound recurve 30 years ago was shooting a wooden arrow about 140 feet per second. Now we have 30 pound compounds shooting a carbon arrow with a razor blade broadhead at 190 feet per second.

[b]Here is one I had out in front of my stand for a while Saturday morning. He has the potential to be a good one in the future. I aged him at 3.5 (maybe 4.5) years old so he has another 3 or 4 years of growing yet.[/b]

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/OUTDOORS/FUTURE.jpg[/img]

[b]Here is another cull that one of my group took out. He is a mature deer but only a 7 point with no brow tines. He would have been a decent deer with the tines. [/b]

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/OUTDOORS/PAULSDEER.jpg[/img]

[b]And last but not least, the last of our bow kills for bucks this weekend. Another hunter in our group took this 8 point that weighed 210 pounds. [/b]

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/OUTDOORS/KEVINSDEER.jpg[/img]

[quote name="tvc184" post="901787" timestamp="1289244986"]
[b]This one came out and chased him off. The ranch might take him this year. He is a bruiser for sure. [/b]

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/OUTDOORS/Shooter.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

big boy.  you couldn't get a shot at him?

[quote name="tvc184" post="901797" timestamp="1289245581"]
[b]And last but not least, the last of our bow kills for bucks this weekend. Another hunter in our group took this 7 point that weighed 210 pounds. [/b]

[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/tvc184/OUTDOORS/KEVINSDEER.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

not to be contrary, but are you sure this isn't an 8 point?

[quote name="bullets13" post="901800" timestamp="1289245820"]

[/quote]

You bet I could have. My wife would have wondered about the $5,000 charge on the credit card though.

We were there to shoot does, culls and spikes.

[quote name="tvc184" post="901812" timestamp="1289246209"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=75731.msg901800#msg901800 date=1289245820]

[/quote]

You bet I could have. My wife would have wondered about the $5,000 charge on the credit card though.

We were there to shoot does, culls and spikes.
[/quote]

ahh, gotcha.  so like the guy asked in the other thread, what made yours a cull again?

A cull or "management deer" is one that the big time trophy guys won't pay for. When they fly in from out of state, they don't want to go home with a deer that won't look good on their wall. Some of the management/culls are some pretty nice deer. They just aren't "trophies".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder