Goose Creek ISD

Needs to build a 6th junior high school out by GCM somewhere.
They could then designate two junior highs for each high school.

This willy nilly system they have now puts all of the high schools three years behind.
It's like the USA basketball team trying to get a team together and compete against those other national teams that have been playing together since they were 12. 

They could have the new junior high and Highlands go to GCM.  Baytown Junior and Gentry go to Sterling and Horace Mann and Cedar Bayou go to Lee.

I've never understood the logic behind having a little bit from each junior high go to each of the high schools.  They gain nothing by doing that.  They lose three years of being able to learn one system in sports.

Let's assume Gentry has a good 8A team this year.  Does it really matter in the long run?  Out of the 30(hypothetically) on the team, 10 of them are going to GCM, 15 are going to Sterling and 5 are going to Lee.  So, you just have to start all over in 9th grade.

It's the same way with every junior high.  25% go to one high school, 15% goes to another and 60% goes to another.  Play with the percentages all you like as I am just guessing. 

And Lee would probably lose out the biggest in this system, because Horace Mann is not a factory for good athletes.  Doesn't matter.  I would rather someone in Baytown have a chance to build a good athletic program.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="872956" timestamp="1286890301"]

This willy nilly system they have now puts all of the high schools three years behind.
It's like the USA basketball team trying to get a team together and compete against those other national teams that have been playing together since they were 12. 

They could have the new junior high and Highlands go to GCM.  Baytown Junior and Gentry go to Sterling and Horace Mann and Cedar Bayou go to Lee.

I've never understood the logic behind having a little bit from each junior high go to each of the high schools.  They gain nothing by doing that.  They lose three years of being able to learn one system in sports.

Let's assume Gentry has a good 8A team this year.  Does it really matter in the long run?  Out of the 30(hypothetically) on the team, 10 of them are going to GCM, 15 are going to Sterling and 5 are going to Lee.   So, you just have to start all over in 9th grade.

It's the same way with every junior high.  25% go to one high school, 15% goes to another and 60% goes to another.  Play with the percentages all you like as I am just guessing. 

And Lee would probably lose out the biggest in this system, because Horace Mann is not a factory for good athletes.  Doesn't matter.  I would rather someone in Baytown have a chance to build a good athletic program.
[/quote]

Dick Olin built a good program.

Olin had attitude he may not have been the friendliest guy or everyone’s buddy but he was a winner. The kids want to play for someone who isn't OK with losing. I see fans, players and even coaches that expect to lose. A coach has to create a winning mentality and demand excellence by example.

Olin did build a winner.
He had a system that was ahead of its time back in the early 90's.
Not a lot of high schools were spreading it out like that.

And the fact that Olin built a winner is not really relevant to the point.  That's like bringing up the Vince Young teams when talking about the Longhorns inability to establish a running game.  Just because one outlier is able to overcome all of the inherent roadblocks to success does not make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

It's tougher to build a winner the way they have it.  The fact that Olin did it is great, but the system would be much more conducive to building a winning program, in all sports, if they had designated feeder schools for each of the three high schools.

Creating the winning mentality is the tough part.  You have kids that come into 9th grade without a clue on how to play winning football.  Maybe if all of Cedar Bayou 8A or Gentry 8A stayed together, they would be able to carry over that winning that they did on that junior high level.  They would know how to win as a team and depend on each other.  They would already know the system backwards and forwards.  Gentry 8A had a powerhouse when this year's seniors were there.  Chance Nelson, CJ Mixon, etc.  Some of them went to Lee and some to Sterling, some even ended up at GCM, so it was time to start all over again with a whole different system and different teammates.

Look, I'm not saying this as a cure-all to all of Baytown's troubles in sports. 
Why not take the avenue with the best possible chance of future success instead of stacking the deck against yourselves from jump street.

Panama,

I agree except I say take CBJ and Gentry to Sterling, HM and Baytown JR to lee and the new JR high with highlands right now.

With the current zoning, Gentry is split with GCM and Sterling. I want to say its in favor of GCM but not totally sure. Maybe 60/40?

CBJ is now a true feeder into Sterling.

HM is Lee.

Highlands is GCM.

I assume Baytown Jr is all Lee but not sure. 

[quote name="panamamyers" post="872956" timestamp="1286890301"]

Let's assume Gentry has a good 8A team this year.  Does it really matter in the long run?  Out of the 30(hypothetically) on the team, 10 of them are going to GCM, 15 are going to Sterling and 5 are going to Lee.   So, you just have to start all over in 9th grade.

[/quote]Quit complaining. Get a coach over there that can turn things around. you have alot more kids to choose from than any one else in the district. I have not seen GCM this year but lee had some talent(QB,WR). Just did not know how to use it.

Based on the number of portable buildings there are at Gentry, I believe another middle school is needed based on number of students.

There has been no true feeder system in Goose Creek since Sterling was built. However, both Lee and Sterling were both really good programs before Olin came to Lee. Coaches like Ron Kramer, Al Dennis, Dick Stafford, and Jim Stroud all had quality teams and programs.

Exactly...
The school is needed regardless.  This is about correcting a problem that is long overdue.
You can make good teams in Baytown either way.
That's not the point.

The point of this specific thread is that having a true feeder system is better than not having one, and that Goose Creek junior highs have to be getting overcrowded.  Put the two together and you have a nice solution to both problems.

GC has had 5 junior highs for as long as I can remember.  This goes back through the early 80's for sure.
They have 3 high schools now.  It only makes sense.

Byrd go to GCCISD and look up the demographics reports.  Nope there is plently of room at HM.  They are thinking of realignment for Junior and elem.  You can't beat the discipline and RESPECT expected from those good old coaches.  But that was a whole different world I don't think Baytown can get back.  Too many parents with MY BABY - don't treat him,  he can't whatever BS.

[quote name="baypat" post="873615" timestamp="1286938908"]
Byrd go to GCCISD and look up the demographics reports.  Nope there is plently of room at HM.  They are thinking of realignment for Junior and elem.   You can't beat the discipline and RESPECT expected from those good old coaches.  But that was a whole different world I don't think Baytown can get back.  Too many parents with MY BABY - don't treat him,  he can't whatever BS.
[/quote]

You have a point if the coaches can't coach then it doesn't matter how they align the schools. Although alinging the schools would help each High schools program get the kids started sooner.

i agree panama...before i went to sterling i was at liberty and it was very different....this was back when liberty was making the playoffs yearly and contending w/ barber's hill for the district title every year...those kids were running the same thing in 7th grade that they ran as seniors...went to sterling and it was like half of every junior high went to one school or the other...im pretty sure that was some of the problem then and is still some of the problem now, but i still think the major problem, atleast at sterling, is coaching...they actually appear to have much more talent now than they ever did when i was in school yet they still get thumped...that in my opinion is all coaching...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder