Dayton keys to success

"It's not how you start, it's how you finish," athletic director and head football coach Jerry Stewart has said time and time again.

This team is getting better and better each week. Now someone pointed out on another thread that Dayton had turnovers against Baytown Lee, and that was true, but not from the first team offense. Both the one fumble and one pass interception happened with second teamers in the backfield. Some might say it's because the first team only played most of the first half, but then one can't be sure. The point is the Broncos are improving each week on turnovers.

Another large improvement was in only getting penalized three times, especially given the crew that was out there that night.

The key is that over the last three games, Dayton has outscored their opponents 165-23, and six of those 23 came off a defensive score, so the Bronco defense has only allowed 17 points in district (the PAT was missed on that score). Some might want to say that this was a result of playing the three weakest teams in the district, however, Galena Park will most likely win out the rest of district, we'll find out plenty quick when they face Crosby.

IN any event we'll all know within a week or two just how things will shake out for the playoffs. I'm just wondering how much sweat will be pooring off the brows of 20-4A coaches as they stuggle to see which one winds up having to face Dayton the first game of the playoffs, and facing Galena Park is going to be no picnic either, so let the smack talk begin. Oh, I guess it already has.  ;D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest key I can think of for Dayton to  continue winning is for them to play their game and to not take anybody lightly approach every game as if they are they best and dont let the record of the opponent make you take it easy on them thats not for coaches thats for the players for the coaches keep the players on that edge they have been running on.

[quote name="Mike George" post="872039" timestamp="1286805788"]
"It's not how you start, it's how you finish," athletic director and head football coach Jerry Stewart has said time and time again.

This team is getting better and better each week. Now someone pointed out on another thread that Dayton had turnovers against Baytown Lee, and that was true, but not from the first team offense. Both the one fumble and one pass interception happened with second teamers in the backfield. Some might say it's because the first team only played most of the first half, but then one can't be sure. The point is the Broncos are improving each week on turnovers.

Another large improvement was in only getting penalized three times, especially given the crew that was out there that night.

The key is that over the last three games, Dayton has outscored their opponents 165-23, and six of those 23 came off a defensive score, so the Bronco defense has only allowed 17 points in district (the PAT was missed on that score). Some might want to say that this was a result of playing the three weakest teams in the district, however, Galena Park will most likely win out the rest of district, we'll find out plenty quick when they face Crosby.

IN any event we'll all know within a week or two just how things will shake out for the playoffs. I'm just wondering how much sweat will be pooring off the brows of 20-4A coaches as they stuggle to see which one winds up having to face Dayton the first game of the playoffs, and facing Galena Park is going to be no picnic either, so let the smack talk begin. Oh, I guess it already has.  ;D
[/quote]

I agree i'd also like to point out no one you've faced yet lay the wood like those first three teams, It'll be a good game when Crosby travels down 90 i assure you, we've been putting some hits on people, and if thats an issue then the Broncos might cough up the pigskin. Iunno just my 2 cents worth.

I think the "keys to succes" for the Broncos are...........

1. First and foremost turnovers have to be stopped! At least kept to a bare minimum. That has been the one clear weakness dating back to last year. It has improved in district play and let's hope the trend continues

2. Offensive line - pass blocking has to improve. Herrera does a great job executing the plays when he has the time. If he is forced to run problems occur. They have done a fair job so far but they are a bit undersized. But Dayton teams usually are. I applaud the coaches for what they have done with these kids. Great technique.

3. I know I've harped on it before, but the passing game has to evolve some. The Dayton coaching staff does a great job with a high percentage type passing scheme. They are high school kids afterall, so running some high flying west coast offense is really not practical. But I still believe they could utilize #9 and #33 a little more for some 5 to 10 yard underneath stuff that would keep the chains moving and still be high percentage.

4. Secondary - Yes they have improved and group wise, they are one of the best we've seen in a while. But they will have to continue that trend to make a deep run. We will see on Oct. 29th just how much they have improved.

Just my thoughts. I enjoy reading all the other fans thought as well so let's hear em'.

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="872278" timestamp="1286819429"]
I think the "keys to succes" for the Broncos are...........

1. First and foremost turnovers have to be stopped! At least kept to a bare minimum. That has been the one clear weakness dating back to last year. It has improved in district play and let's hope the trend continues

2. Offensive line - pass blocking has to improve. Herrera does a great job executing the plays when he has the time. If he is forced to run problems occur. They have done a fair job so far but they are a bit undersized. But Dayton teams usually are. I applaud the coaches for what they have done with these kids. Great technique.

3. I know I've harped on it before, but the passing game has to evolve some. The Dayton coaching staff does a great job with a high percentage type passing scheme. They are high school kids afterall, so running some high flying west coast offense is really not practical. But I still believe they could utilize #9 and #33 a little more for some 5 to 10 yard underneath stuff that would keep the chains moving and still be high percentage.

4. Secondary - Yes they have improved and group wise, they are one of the best we've seen in a while. But they will have to continue that trend to make a deep run. We will see on Oct. 29th just how much they have improved.

Just my thoughts. I enjoy reading all the other fans thought as well so let's hear em'.

[/quote]

Agree...with a few addendums to your points.

#1.  I don't even say the t word or the f word. 
#2.  They just need to do what they are doing but do it in a meaner nastier manner.  It's okay to be a tactician, as long as you understand that you are a big ol' sweat hog at heart. 
#3.  Agree. Maybe we are saving that for the playoffs.  That's more of a play calling issue.
#4. At the start of the year the secondary played the ball or played the man.  As the year progresses (even now in flashes), I think you will see them play the ball and their man which will result in more deflections and even more interceptions.

The first round game against the 20-4A team, for the last two years has been a hard fought win for the Broncos. Last year Vidor (28-14) and the year before Livingston by ten points or so. But I remember that Livingston game being pretty close in the fourth qtr. It took an interception by Dugat of Justin Harris to seal the game. Saw Justin Harris on TV Saturday by the way.

Point is...no gimmies in the first round when it come to 20 4A. Right now it looks like LCM or Livingston again. But that changes every Friday night in that district.

[b]But that changes every Friday night in that district.  [/b] 

Exactly my point. None of the teams this year appear as strong as for the past couple of years - there's not the dominating presence or feeling this year as in year's past. So far, Dayton is the only dominating team in 19-4A - a clear and present leader which no one in 20-4A seems to be willing to step up and claim.

From the looks of it, Dayton, Galena Park and Crosby would be the odds on favorites to make the playoffs. The fourth spot will come from Barbers Hill or CE King. Goose Creek might be on the bubble, but Baytown Lee and North Forest are not. That would put GP and Crosby in division one. So, it appears that Dayton will play the second seed among the division II representatives of 20-4A, and thus the crux of my comment. Any conjecture on who that might be, or is it too early to tell?

I stated in my comment that it looks like LCM or Livingston to be the Div. 2 teams, but that's pure conjecture. Anything can happen in the crazy world that is 20-4A!

If I was forced to guess, and I do mean guess, I would say:

Div.1 - Central and PNG/Nederland
Div. 2 - Livingston and LCM/Vidor

Not to get too far ahead though, we still have to win our district. The players and coaches have to take it one game at a time. The luxury of being a fan is that we can "theorize" all we want. ;D

[quote name="jayhawk" post="872145" timestamp="1286811718"]
I expect this years Bronco's to turn into a full fledge animal by the time the playoffs start ! Brenhams #2 state ranking will get them to the #2 round in the playoffs and then chaos will ensue !
[/quote]

;D
We have to get through Montgomery first...  That's where our focus is at the moment...  Defending our district championship...

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="873840" timestamp="1286980544"]
[quote author=jayhawk link=topic=74273.msg872145#msg872145 date=1286811718]
I expect this years Bronco's to turn into a full fledge animal by the time the playoffs start ! Brenhams #2 state ranking will get them to the #2 round in the playoffs and then chaos will ensue !
[/quote]

;D
We have to get through Montgomery first...  That's where our focus is at the moment...  Defending our district championship...

[/quote] Yeah that game should tell the tale for both teams -

Very good post-- I usually use this site to see what the public thinks of football in the area. Coaches do read these though, and we find them somewhat amusing and educational. Some are senseless and some take a very good point. I feel this post is spot on. I worked with Jerry Stewart for 3 years ( I am currently in my 28th year) and he still operates with the same criterian he used at Clear Lake in the late 80's early 90's. His kids always are physical, mistake free, and playing their best at the end of the year. His methods have definitely shaped the way I coach, and I believe most of his former assistants would agree with me. Football is a very simple game of blocking and tackling, and Jerry has always been a master of teaching both.
Coach Bear

We've already played 3 early games vs.09 playoff teams and those were big,atheletic,fast teams w/plenty of skilled players and a bench full of good reserves.Now we're seeing the true results of those losses that ko'd the Broncos from the rankings temporary.The good thing almost every skill position has another year.Nobody @ the local 4a area gets more out of less than Coach Jerry Stewart who most yrs has less than 20 seniors while many others field 28-43

[quote name="liltex" post="873937" timestamp="1286992624"]
We've already played 3 early games vs.09 playoff teams and those were big,atheletic,fast teams w/plenty of skilled players and a bench full of good reserves.Now we're seeing the true results of those losses that ko'd the Broncos from the rankings temporary.The good thing almost every skill position has another year.Nobody @ the local 4a area gets more out of less than Coach Jerry Stewart who most yrs has less than 20 seniors while many others field 28-43
[/quote]

This is the thing that scares me the most about Dayton.  I don't believe for a split second that their team this year is better than last years team.  Yet, I think if Brenham matches up with them in round 2, I think it will be the toughest game the Cubs have in 4a all season, including Montgomery.  Those kids in Dayton are just so well coached, it doesn't matter if they have a team of worldbeaters, they can still play with anyone on the field.  I was surprised they lost to Angleton, I expected them to shut Diggs down, but hey, the kid is a beast.  There's no doubt in my mind the Broncos win out until they face Brenham in round 2. How the Cubs handle the Montgomery offense will let me know how that Brenham v. Dayton will turn out.

[quote name="ricko" post="874069" timestamp="1287001567"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=74273.msg873937#msg873937 date=1286992624]
[/quote]

This is the thing that scares me the most about Dayton.  I don't believe for a split second that their team this year is better than last years team.  Yet, I think if Brenham matches up with them in round 2, I think it will be the toughest game the Cubs have in 4a all season, including Montgomery.  Those kids in Dayton are just so well coached, it doesn't matter if they have a team of worldbeaters, they can still play with anyone on the field.  I was surprised they lost to Angleton, I expected them to shut Diggs down, but hey, the kid is a beast.  There's no doubt in my mind the Broncos win out until they face Brenham in round 2. How the Cubs handle the Montgomery offense will let me know how that Brenham v. Dayton will turn out.
[/quote]

Dayton is a better team this year. The defense is the best in years. The offense was slow to start but are hitting their stride. Diggs did not beat Dayton. Turnovers beat Dayton. He never "went off" for any real gains. There were a couple of 3rd & longs he converted but other than that, not much.

I feel the same way about Brenham. I think most Dayton fans know they are a well run outfit. Should be a great game...again. But, like someone said earlier, we both have to make it there first.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="874113" timestamp="1287005516"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=74273.msg874083#msg874083 date=1287002617]
Successful 30-90=3yds.per carry for Diggs,nobody else has held him to less.Here's ya sign ;D
[/quote]

True, but you know QB's get the credit.  He is the leader of that team, [b]and even if you stopped him it leaves others open.[/b][/quote]

True, their running back hurt us more than he did. That and the 4 forced fumbles.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder