best fight song in the area

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Beaumont_Legend" post="841685" timestamp="1283918230"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=72641.msg841608#msg841608 date=1283912126]
[quote author=19Bulldog99 link=topic=72641.msg841605#msg841605 date=1283911781]
Best or most annoying?
[/quote]

The one, the only...

[color=purple][size=48pt][b]CHEROKEE[/b][/size][/color]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2NfR83P1bI

[quote author=19Bulldog99 link=topic=72641.msg841605#msg841605 date=1283911781]
Best or most annoying?
[/quote]

[b]At least ours is original[/b]... you know, not the same as 75% of American high schools....
[/quote]

THATS FUNNY....HUMBLE HAS THE SAME EXACT FIGHT SONG.....AND ITS IRONIC THAT YOU BOTH WEAR PORRRPLE!
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing when I read that... West Orange Chiefs had it too! LOL My mom used to tell me how much she loved it when we played PNG because it reminded her of her HS days with that fight song.

Mustang Mike, can I get an AMEN???

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="842293" timestamp="1284027037"]
Nothing beats Cherokee.
How many other school districts can you go into [b]first grade classrooms [/b] and the majority of kids know the high school fight song.
I remember learning Cherokee before the National Anthem.
[/quote]

Well, it is pretty simple;

Always be faithful...To purple and white...Cheer on with spirit...And our team will fight... Here come the Indians...Down the trails of victory...Winning our conquests for PN-G! (YELL) I-N-D-I-A-N-S scalp 'em Indians scalp 'em!

[quote name="swampdude" post="842274" timestamp="1284008337"]
[quote author=king link=topic=72641.msg841930#msg841930 date=1283969390]
What is bridge city fight song  ??? ???
[/quote]

"Semper Paratus"     Is is the anthem of the U. S. Coast Guard
[/quote]

Just gave a listen to that on youtube.  That is a great fight song for sure.  I believe Deer Park also uses it.
I just thought of another one.

Galveston Ball
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT38y1DP5rc&feature=related]Galveston Ball fight song - AKA theme song from the movie Giant[/url]
The key points that really sound like their fight song are at 22 seconds and at 45 seconds.
My dad always used to sing words to it...not sure if it really was the words that Ball High put in there or what.  starting at 22 seconds to about 40 seconds with "we are the greatest, yes we are the greatest, we are the greatest team on earth"  always sounded like it fit to me lol

It didn't sound quite as great when John Humprhey was slicing us up like swiss cheese in the second round of the 1994 playoffs.

[quote name="baypat" post="842055" timestamp="1283981016"]
panamamyers - nothing like Dixie and Dull Razor to get a Gander fan going!  What is the status of the band playing those songs this year?  Just remember talk in the past the band director did not let the band play them.  Can't wait till the last game of the season. :)  Sitting on one side but still a Gander!

Merla Kramer (Former REL Coach Ron Kramer's wife) can sing every schools song and fight song.  :D  Now she's at GCM.
[/quote]

They played Dixie in the game against LP, because I made a note to listen for it.  In the Sterling game, I am not sure.
I know in the past it would depend on who we were playing.  If we played Port Arthur, no Dixie.  If we play Deer Park, Dixie was ok.  Seems weird to me, but I think Port Arthur specifically complained about it.

I would hate to see them do away with it.
The song that got me pumped up even more was this one that I uploaded on youtube quite some time back...
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6NvtA80uvo]Lee Gander band[/url]

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="842362" timestamp="1284044221"]
[quote author=PURPLE 4EVER link=topic=72641.msg842293#msg842293 date=1284027037]
Nothing beats Cherokee.
How many other school districts can you go into [b]first grade classrooms [/b] and the majority of kids know the high school fight song.
I remember learning Cherokee before the National Anthem.
[/quote]

Well, it is pretty simple;

Always be faithful...To purple and white...Cheer on with spirit...And our team will fight... Here come the Indians...Down the trails of victory...Winning our conquests for PN-G! (YELL) I-N-D-I-A-N-S scalp 'em Indians scalp 'em!

[/quote]

OMG thats so violent.  What are you thinking at PNG.  Teaching our youth to be so violent.  I am appalled.  :o ;D

Ball High fight song:

We know no bounds or limits
Victory is our aim.
We stand tonight with all our might
We're going to win this game.
Greater than wings of eagles
Stronger than the tide
We are Tornadoes, victory-bound Tornadoes
We are the greatest power known!
B-A-L-L H-I-G-H T-O-R-S Tors!
We never fear [b]Port Arthur[/b], Abilene or Ray

fight song comes on at 1:00 minute mark http://www.gisd.org/163510513202130557/site/default.asp

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="842413" timestamp="1284050175"]
Ball High fight song:

We know no bounds or limits
Victory is our aim.
We stand tonight with all our might
We're going to win this game.
Greater than wings of eagles
Stronger than the tide
B-A-L-L H-I-G-H T-O-R-S Tors!
We never fear [b]Port Arthur[/b], Abilene or Ray

fight song comes on at 1:00 minute mark http://www.gisd.org/163510513202130557/site/default.asp
[/quote]

That's the one.
Gets me fired up for some football for sure.  Thanks for the link.

[quote name="BPSWildcat" post="841987" timestamp="1283974884"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=72641.msg841914#msg841914 date=1283967246]
Oh, and to follow that up:

Herbsteit's famous claim.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dG8OApJBM&feature=related
[/quote]

I just threw up in my mouth! Thanks AGGY!
[/quote]

Seeing as I can't get on youtube at work it must be the claim that A&M has the best student section in the country.?  If I am correct you should take note BPSWildcat! ;)

http://www.beaumont.k12.tx.us/westbrook/SoundPower.htm

PAW Power is an arrangement taken from Alfred Reeds Russian Christmas Music which was amazingly written upon very short assignment. 

Russian Christmas Music

Alfred Reed was a 23 year old staff arranger for the 529th Army Air Corps Band when he was called upon to create what has become a masterpiece of the wind literature. It was in 1944, when optimism was running high with the successful invasion of France and Belgium by the Allied forces. A holiday band concert was planned by the city of Denver to further promote Russian-American unity with premiers of new works from both countries. Roy Harris was placed in charge and planned the second movement of his Sixth Symphony (the “Abraham Lincoln Symphony”) to be the American work. The Russian work was to have been Prokofiev’s March, Op. 99, but Harris discovered that it had already been performed in the United States (by Reed’s own organization). With just 16 days until the concert, Harris assigned Reed, already working for Harris as an aid, to compose a new Russian work for the concert. Scouring the Corp’s music library, Reed found an authentic 16th-century Russian Christmas Song “Carol of the Little Russian Children” to use for an introductory theme. Drawing on his investigations of Eastern Orthodox liturgical music for other thematic ideas, he completed the score of Russian Christmas Music in 11 days; copyists took another two days to prepare parts for rehearsal. The music was first performed on December 12, 1944, on a nationwide NBC broadcast. A concert performance was given in Denver two days later. In later years, Reed made minor changes to the instrumentation to suit a large ensemble, but tonight’s version is essentially the same as the original.

The liturgical music of the Eastern Orthodox Church is entirely vocal, admitting no instrumental music into the services. Alfred Reed has captured the sonorities, rhythmic inflections, clarity, and flowing phrases of the human voice in his composition. Although the work is in the form of a single movement, four distinct sections can be recognized. The opening “Carol” sets a restrained and gentle mood. The chant from the trombones and trumpets climaxes into the “Antiphonal Chant” carried by the woodwinds. The rhythm picks up for the “Village Song,” which is presented in two bar phrases that rise and fall with the liturgy. The church bells herald the final “Cathedral Chorus” that builds in a steady crescendo, pausing for a soft and sonorous chorale, before continuing with the introduction of additional instruments until all of the colors and intensity of the celebration fill the hall.

And now SETX you know THE  REST  OF  THE  STORY

A fight song cannot even be considered for being the best when a majority of the people have never heard it.  When you have to put a youtube link up so everyone can get to hear it for the first time cannot equate to being the best fight song. 

With that being said, whether you love it or you hate, Cherokee is the most recognizable fight song and is known throughout this area.  And everyone's disdain for Cherokee is what makes it so great.  It creates a passion for those that love it and those that hate it.

[quote name="NDNTime" post="842514" timestamp="1284061613"]
A fight song cannot even be considered for being the best when a majority of the people have never heard it.  When you have to put a youtube link up so everyone can get to hear it for the first time cannot equate to being the best fight song. 

With that being said, whether you love it or you hate, Cherokee is the most recognizable fight song and is known throughout this area.  And everyone's disdain for Cherokee is what makes it so great.  It creates a passion for those that love it and those that hate it.
[/quote]

I guess because I'm for TJ, I keep hearing this to the tune of Cherokee:

Poor little Indian boys
Jackets gonna sting them Indian boys

;D  ;D  ;D  :o

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="842518" timestamp="1284062384"]
[quote author=NDNTime link=topic=72641.msg842514#msg842514 date=1284061613]

[/quote]

I guess because I'm for TJ, I keep hearing this to the tune of Cherokee:

Poor little Indian boys
Jackets gonna sting them Indian boys

;D   ;D   ;D   :o

[/quote]

LOL
NDN just because you were put on a reservation does not mean you have to stay there.  I suggest you expand your horizons.  Get out a little more.  Take a vacation.

[quote name="NDNTime" post="842514" timestamp="1284061613"]

[/quote]

Did you post on the wrong thread?
This was the thread for best fight song, not most widely known.  Best fight song has about as much to do with how well known it is as football has to do with tiddlywinks.  The two are not now, nor ever will be related.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="842594" timestamp="1284070199"]
[quote author=NDNTime link=topic=72641.msg842514#msg842514 date=1284061613]

[/quote]

Did you post on the wrong thread?
This was the thread for best fight song, not most widely known.  Best fight song has about as much to do with how well known it is as football has to do with tiddlywinks.  The two are not now, nor ever will be related.

[/quote]

Hmmm, this is why we have the this forum now isn't it?  So we can have a discussion.  Panama, maybe you could chime in on what the best fight song is.  What would like to offer me?  Something that sounds like everything else? 

So here is an example that helps support my point:  Who has the best french fries:  McDonalds or John's Grill in Nederland?  I bet if you were to take a survey, almost every person would go with McDonalds.  Why?  Because those persons are familiar with it.  Not many people know of John's Grill and therefore can't, in good conscience, vote for them.  This holds true for all of the fight songs that people are listing.  No one knows what the songs are.  They all sound the same.  Cherokee has a bit of a uniqueness factor.  It sounds different than other songs.  It sticks with you whether you love it or hate it.

Panama, just join the parade of haters of PNG and everything our community stands for.  You aren't the first.

Cherokee is catchy;Alvarado Indians so.of Ft.Worth on I-35 plays it well w/tomahawks(plastic)in motion.Lived there 3 yrs.in mid 90's.Though not the PNG crowds or as large band but more vocal.Don't know if the tomahawk thing is allowed nowdays as real indians protested things of such.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="842607" timestamp="1284073862"]
No one hates PNG per se. Just the smugness/arrogance of the majority of their fans.
[/quote]

How in the world can this perception change?  Everyone has their fair share of arrogant fans.  The majority of fans at PNG are in no way smug or arrogant.  Maybe we come across that way, but PNG supports their kids like no other, no matter what the event is. 

[quote name="NDNTime" post="842803" timestamp="1284088719"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=72641.msg842607#msg842607 date=1284073862]
No one hates PNG per se. Just the smugness/arrogance of the majority of their fans.
[/quote]

[b][color=red]How in the world can this perception change?[/color][/b]  Everyone has their fair share of arrogant fans.  The majority of fans at PNG are in no way smug or arrogant.  Maybe we come across that way, but PNG supports their kids like no other, no matter what the event is. 
[/quote]
Good question. 
Answer:  It starts with you.  Yeah thats right, you can make a difference.  BTW-- the word "hater" when used to call a group of people out, tends to be offensive.  Therefore it tends to generate a defensive response.  That too would be another thing to consider when one might be trying to change anothers perception.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder