Texas State

bigred360, you're right, it really isn't any of my business.  Sorry I hijacked your board.  

I just get sick of seeing schools like Texas State, UTSA, Lamar, and etc try to make a move they aren't ready for.  I wish the NCAA would step in and review the criteria for making the move from FCS to FBS.  It seems as though everyone who enjoys some type of success in FCS (and even many who don't like Texas State) begin talking about the next level and you see regional rivalries destroyed, travel/expense budgets go out of control, and regional conferences fall apart.

It's a complete waste of money to expand a stadium to 28-30k when you can't even sell out the 16k stadium you have.  That money could be going somewhere else in the university.

Nevermind all of that, I just can't wait for this weekend.  I'll gladly come back on this board and eat crow if I'm wrong, but I can't wait until we deliver you guys a much needed reality check, even with our backup QB who's only played in one collegiate game.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only he didn't say anything about all those other sports just football...and you guys think Sam fans are the only ones who have something to say about the hoity toity way Yall have come into this football season like you're gonna kill everyone and should be expecting your fbs invite any day now... ;D

[quote name="kingkat99" post="848321" timestamp="1284602751"]
Only he didn't say anything about all those other sports just football...and you guys think Sam fans are the only ones who have something to say about the hoity toity way Yall have come into this football season like you're gonna kill everyone and should be expecting your fbs invite any day now... ;D
[/quote]

You keep saying that LU fans said we where going to kill everyone this season in football show me one post where someone said that.

[quote name="LU4LIFE" post="848314" timestamp="1284602099"]
pwdonaldson are you talking about Texas State or LAMAR can't sell out the 16k stadium?
[/quote]

I'm talking about Texas State.  You guys are going to sell out your first few games this year and maybe even the entire season, depending on your record midseason.  It's my personal opinion that your sellouts won't continue but as others have pointed out, I don't have any proof of that.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="848321" timestamp="1284602751"]
Only he didn't say anything about all those other sports just football...and you guys think Sam fans are the only ones who have something to say about the hoity toity way Yall have come into this football season like [b]you're gonna kill everyone[/b] and should be expecting your fbs invite any day now... ;D
[/quote]
Not everyone JUST SHSU.  8)

[quote name="Texantagonise" post="848364" timestamp="1284608331"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=72367.msg848321#msg848321 date=1284602751]
Only he didn't say anything about all those other sports just football...and you guys think Sam fans are the only ones who have something to say about the hoity toity way Yall have come into this football season like [b]you're gonna kill everyone[/b] and should be expecting your fbs invite any day now... ;D
[/quote]
Not everyone JUST SHSU.   8)
[/quote]

:o :oFinally someone who can take a ribbing and give one right back...I was beginning to wonder if there was a single fan of Lamar on this board that can enjoy a little banter back and forth....Good luck this weekend.

[quote name="LU4LIFE" post="848323" timestamp="1284603002"]
[/quote]

You keep saying that LU fans said we where going to kill everyone this season in football show me one post where someone said that.
[/quote]

He can't because that has never been stated by a member of this board or the other Lamar fan forum. I'm starting to think he has a reading and comprehension problem. Maybe its why he went to SHSU.  ;D

Don't take that statement personal because if you can talk about how dirty Beaumont and Lamar is I figured you can take as much as you dish out.  ;)

[quote name="pwdonaldson" post="848325" timestamp="1284603328"]
[quote author=LU4LIFE link=topic=72367.msg848314#msg848314 date=1284602099]
pwdonaldson are you talking about Texas State or LAMAR can't sell out the 16k stadium?
[/quote]

I'm talking about Texas State.  You guys are going to sell out your first few games this year and maybe even the entire season, depending on your record midseason.  It's my personal opinion that your sellouts won't continue but as others have pointed out, I don't have any proof of that.
[/quote]

Actually, from someone in the know we are on track to sell out our next 3 home games. If you want a ticket for SHSU, Langston or South Alabama you might want to call the ticket office at (409)880-1715.

[quote name="bigred360" post="848509" timestamp="1284654950"]
[quote author=LU4LIFE link=topic=72367.msg848323#msg848323 date=1284603002]
[/quote]

[/quote]

He can't because that has never been stated by a member of this board or the other Lamar fan forum. I'm starting to think he has a reading and comprehension problem. Maybe its why he went to SHSU.  ;D

Don't take that statement personal because if you can talk about how dirty Beaumont and Lamar is I figured you can take as much as you dish out.  ;)

[/quote]

Actually BR360 go back to katfans.com and read that post and see if I stated Lamar itself was dirty...you may be having reading comprehension problems too, but since we both went to LCM that may be the common link.  :)...I live and work in this area and I wear SH shirts all the time so some of the things I post about things LU fans say arent neccessarily stated on this board or BRI....and keep em comin it makes reading and replying that much more fun...

[quote name="kingkat99" post="848529" timestamp="1284657409"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=72367.msg848509#msg848509 date=1284654950]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually BR360 go back to katfans.com and read that post and see if I stated Lamar itself was dirty...you may be having reading comprehension problems too, but since we both went to LCM that may be the common link.  :)...I live and work in this area and I wear SH shirts all the time so some of the things I post about things LU fans say arent neccessarily stated on this board or BRI....and keep em comin it makes reading and replying that much more fun...
[/quote]
What years did you attend LC-M? I was there in the mid 80's. I work at Christus St. Elizabeth so I guess being in that part of town I see the nicer homes and around Parkdale Mall that area is really nice now.

[quote name="pwdonaldson" post="848325" timestamp="1284603328"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Not trying to be rude, but athletics are about money. You don't NEED a consistently winning product to field a FBS team, you need money. Pride? It comes with winning, which can indirectly be tied with the amount you are willing to spend on your head coach. Texas State isn't going about this move without the funding and facilities needed (like we tried in the past). The reason we will NOT become the next ULM? Because our budget is already twice what theirs is - and it is still on the rise.

We cannot sell out the stadium we have because of the competitors we face. It isn't your fault you are not well known in Texas, or that our apathetic fans don't care to see you. Keep in mind we are the 5th largest university in Texas and roughly twice the size of SELU. Dog on us all you want, but roughly 90% capacity for a DII team isn't bad.

And to your point about the money being used towards something else, get a grip. Students are paying ridiculous fees to help fund this. We voted for it, we are paying for it. It is what we the students want.

To the Sam, Lamar, SLC, whoever: if you believe this is such a stupid and idiotic move, then PLEASE don't follow us to FBS. Stay FCS where you can make the playoffs, maybe one you yall can become the next Montana.

[quote name="bigred360" post="848542" timestamp="1284658748"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=72367.msg848529#msg848529 date=1284657409]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=72367.msg848509#msg848509 date=1284654950]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
What years did you attend LC-M? I was there in the mid 80's. I work at Christus St. Elizabeth so I guess being in that part of town I see the nicer homes and around Parkdale Mall that area is really nice now.
[/quote]

I graduated in 95 from LCM and I work off calder in an office thats in an old home so I am aware of the bright spots in the city. I dont want to hijack the millionth thread on here about Lamar becoming an FBS school so we can discuss the pro and cons of BMT another time. 

[quote name="YouCanUseaMint" post="848545" timestamp="1284659071"]
[quote author=pwdonaldson link=topic=72367.msg848325#msg848325 date=1284603328]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Not trying to be rude, but athletics are about money. You don't NEED a consistently winning product to field a FBS team, you need money. Pride? It comes with winning, which can indirectly be tied with the amount you are willing to spend on your head coach. Texas State isn't going about this move without the funding and facilities needed (like we tried in the past). The reason we will NOT become the next ULM? Because our budget is already twice what theirs is - and it is still on the rise.

We cannot sell out the stadium we have because of the competitors we face. It isn't your fault you are not well known in Texas, or that our apathetic fans don't care to see you. Keep in mind we are the 5th largest university in Texas and roughly twice the size of SELU. Dog on us all you want, but roughly 90% capacity for a DII team isn't bad.

And to your point about the money being used towards something else, get a grip. Students are paying ridiculous fees to help fund this. We voted for it, we are paying for it. It is what we the students want.

To the Sam, Lamar, SLC, whoever: if you believe this is such a stupid and idiotic move, then PLEASE don't follow us to FBS. Stay FCS where you can make the playoffs, maybe one you yall can become the next Montana.
[/quote]

I was at the Sam TSU game in San Marcos last season and for a rainy day and UT having a home game there were plenty of people tailgating and the stadium was about 3/4 full so Im not buying the "no one knows who you are argument" could it possibly be product you guys currently have on the field as much as your opponents...and frankly REAL FBS schools and their fans dont get a hard on at the thought of LA Tech or New Mexico State coming to town, in fact most REAL FBS schools and their fans think most of the schools you will face in the WAC(if thats where you end up) should be FCS anyway...so I doubt you'll see an uptick in your attendance, unless you can get some of those REAL FBS schools to come to town and play but dont hold your breath if you think thats gonna happen every season...

I'm not hijacking this board anymore, so I'm only going to comment on the Lamar and SLU game moving forward.  I'm also a Sam alum, so I'll be back to talk about that game and already have my tickets.

My last comment on this thread is this:

50% of the teams that you would join in the WAC will be teams who have moved up from FCS to FBS to save the WAC.  These are the same teams people on this board are saying fans will not pay money to see.  For every Boise there are 10 ULLs, ULMs, North Texas', Arkansas State, Florida Atlantics, Troys, etc.

[quote name="pwdonaldson" post="848587" timestamp="1284661550"]
I'm not hijacking this board anymore, so I'm only going to comment on the Lamar and SLU game moving forward.  I'm also a Sam alum, so I'll be back to talk about that game and already have my tickets.

50% of the teams that you would join in the WAC will be teams who have moved up from FCS to FBS to save the WAC.  These are the same teams people on this board are saying fans will not pay money to see.  For every Boise there are 10 ULLs, ULMs, North Texas', Arkansas State, Florida Atlantics, Troys, etc.
[/quote]

Agree for every Boise State there are several others who don't have that type of success but we are talking about the #3 team in the country. So there are several big-time schools who aren't having the success they are.

Personally, I'd love to see ULL, ULM, North Texas, Florida Atlantic and Troy at Provost Umphrey.

Hope you have a good experience for the SHSU game. I just hope you don't leave with a W.  ;D

[quote name="pwdonaldson" post="848587" timestamp="1284661550"]
I'm not hijacking this board anymore, so I'm only going to comment on the Lamar and SLU game moving forward.  I'm also a Sam alum, so I'll be back to talk about that game and already have my tickets.

50% of the teams that you would join in the WAC will be teams who have moved up from FCS to FBS to save the WAC.  These are the same teams people on this board are saying fans will not pay money to see.  For every Boise there are 10 ULLs, ULMs, North Texas', Arkansas State, Florida Atlantics, Troys, etc.
[/quote]Yet none of those schools or any FBS is going back to FCS. They must not be smart.

[quote name="YouCanUseaMint" post="848545" timestamp="1284659071"]
[quote author=pwdonaldson link=topic=72367.msg848325#msg848325 date=1284603328]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Man, I would be stoked if we become the next Montana!!

[quote name="pwdonaldson" post="848171" timestamp="1284586877"]
You've talked about this topic to the point that even a visitor to your board is getting nauseous.  No one's even talking about this coming Saturday's reality check at Southeastern Louisiana, one of those little po-dunk Louisiana schools that you don't want to be in the same conference with.

When you announce concrete plans to increase stadium capacity to 30k, then we'll start talking because there is no way you will continue to average 15k+ per home game.  Texas State will never get out of the shadows of UT.  Lamar and Sam simply don't have the fan support or population level needed.  UTSA.....maybe, if San Antonio shows they care, which to this point, they haven't.

If the WAC continues with its rumored expansion plan, the Sun Belch may no longer be the doormat of FBS.  Seriously?  Games with Montana, Montana State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, UTSA, San Jose State.....this is going to be a better fit for you than the Southland.  I would encourage all of you to look at McNeese.  They average more "real" fans than ULM and ULL.  They beat ULM and ULL when they play them.  They participate in a football playoff instead of hoping to be rewarded with a game in the New Orleans Bowl.  It CAN work in FCS and does work in FCS.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side my friends.

As for reality......Hope to see some of you in Hammond this weekend where we'll show you what the SLC is like when there's tape on you.  You, just like Texas State, don't even dominate in the SLC and you think you are worthy of moving up to the next level.  Get a grip.  Win some games, win some championships, actually SELL OUT your stadium on a consistant basis, and then talk like you deserve it.
[/quote]

Settle down sparky!  For starters, there are only a handful of people talking about FBS.  These, people, in my opinoon, are delusional!  I am totally excited abut the FCS and about playing in the SLC!  I think the SLC is a great football conference.  Personally, I expected us to lose to McNEese 56-0.  Anyway I fully expect yall to beat the crap out of us.  But, based on your arrogant post I can't wait for the day we beat the crap out of you!  Sadly, we realistically don't have  a prayer to do that tonight but it won't be long!  Oh, and I could care less if we EVER go to the FBS.  If we can continue to have an atmosphere like we had last week that is perfectly fine with me.

[quote name="westendfirst" post="850353" timestamp="1284837327"]
[quote author=pwdonaldson link=topic=72367.msg848171#msg848171 date=1284586877]
You've talked about this topic to the point that even a visitor to your board is getting nauseous.  No one's even talking about this coming Saturday's reality check at Southeastern Louisiana, one of those little po-dunk Louisiana schools that you don't want to be in the same conference with.

When you announce concrete plans to increase stadium capacity to 30k, then we'll start talking because there is no way you will continue to average 15k+ per home game.  Texas State will never get out of the shadows of UT.  Lamar and Sam simply don't have the fan support or population level needed.  UTSA.....maybe, if San Antonio shows they care, which to this point, they haven't.

If the WAC continues with its rumored expansion plan, the Sun Belch may no longer be the doormat of FBS.  Seriously?  Games with Montana, Montana State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, UTSA, San Jose State.....this is going to be a better fit for you than the Southland.  I would encourage all of you to look at McNeese.  They average more "real" fans than ULM and ULL.  They beat ULM and ULL when they play them.  They participate in a football playoff instead of hoping to be rewarded with a game in the New Orleans Bowl.  It CAN work in FCS and does work in FCS.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side my friends.

As for reality......Hope to see some of you in Hammond this weekend where we'll show you what the SLC is like when there's tape on you.  You, just like Texas State, don't even dominate in the SLC and you think you are worthy of moving up to the next level.  Get a grip.  Win some games, win some championships, actually SELL OUT your stadium on a consistant basis, and then talk like you deserve it.
[/quote]

Settle down sparky!  For starters, there are only a handful of people talking about FBS.  These, people, in my opinoon, are delusional!  I am totally excited abut the FCS and about playing in the SLC!  I think the SLC is a great football conference.  Personally, I expected us to lose to McNEese 56-0.  Anyway I fully expect yall to beat the crap out of us. [/quote]Clearly you were delusional! On the other hand, I predicted a 3 point loss. I also predict LU goes FBS in 2-3 years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami