Raider score board and sound system

LTrain

[quote name="dont tread on me" post="831169" timestamp="1282838822"]
[quote author=Raider81 link=topic=71918.msg831143#msg831143 date=1282835106]
[quote author=bojangles link=topic=71918.msg831008#msg831008 date=1282798936]
The name is Talbert not Talbot. Head of operations gives him more pull and power than you would imagine, not always seen eye to eye with folks and I cant blame em...Im an LISD employee so i'll keep the shots at him and all my other 100 bosses to a minimum, but yea, much needs to be changed with the admin in Lumberton. Started with Holloman hiring his buddy Fuller to the AD position in 00...but back to topic, the scoreboard is a go, Texas Scorboard and a few other private contractors have been in and out of the stadium all week laying the groundwork. It will include a new sound system, should be a legitimate upgrade. Just be glad it finally happened fellow raider fans!!
[/quote]

Pardon me, my boss' name is Talbot and yanno, I just type that one more often.  ;)

Any time one person is given as much power as Talbert has, there will be problems.  Kinda like when Boss Hogg had complete control of the city.  Whew!  Glad that's over.

I'm looking forward to the new scoreboard and the new sound system.  I'm always disheartened when I visit my alma mater and find it in disrepair.  I always wonder where all the money goes and it truly hurts my heart. 
[/quote]you always hear about starting a tradition, well it's not good to have a winning team and have someone keeping score on a chalkboard! keep the upgrades rollin'   
[/quote]We are upgrading for sure, going from that old chalkboard to permanently painted numbers on hooks.  :P :D :o

Guest LR1969
[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="831222" timestamp="1282846696"]
[quote author=LR1969 link=topic=71918.msg831215#msg831215 date=1282845894]
[quote author=goodsport link=topic=71918.msg831018#msg831018 date=1282803828]
[quote author=LR1969 link=topic=71918.msg829204#msg829204 date=1282523050]
You couldn't hear it anyway due to that annoying train whistle. Don't get me wrong. I like the whistle but not every 5 seconds. Give it a rest from time to time!
[/quote]

You must not go to many games. The horn only goes off at the opening of the game. Touch downs. Field goals. Extra points. The start of the second half. Turn overs. Well Lumberton must have been some bad boys to be scoring points every 5 seconds along with turn overs to go in the mix. If you like the whistle then shut up sit down and enjoy a start of a great tradition.
[/quote]

Don't think the "shut up" was deserved buddy. And, I do take in a lot of games and I listen to everyone around me gripe about the whistle. It goes off at every first down, every time more than a few yards is gained and it's gotten annoying to a lot of "fans". If it were only on TD's, "BIG" plays, etc. I would welcome this "tradition" but if it's over-used it negates it's whole purpose!! Again, just made an observation and stated an opinion so I would appreciate it if you could keep the "shut-ups" to a minimum. Thanks!
[/quote]
I don't mind the horn so much as the "Another Raider FIRST down" taken right from LCM's announcer a few years back, at least the train horn is more original. Besides, that's what has inspired our nickname, The Train.  ::)
[/quote]

I agree with you...I like it and I like the LTrain nickname, etc...just wouldn't mind a tone down sometimes. And, dont' get me started on the "First Down" bit...HA! But, always glad to see first downs. I will take the announcer saying that over not making any at all..LOL!

[quote name="LR1969" post="831215" timestamp="1282845894"]
You couldn't hear it anyway due to that annoying train whistle. Don't get me wrong. I like the whistle but not every 5 seconds. Give it a rest from time to time!
[/quote]

You must not go to many games. The horn only goes off at the opening of the game. Touch downs. Field goals. Extra points. The start of the second half. Turn overs. Well Lumberton must have been some bad boys to be scoring points every 5 seconds along with turn overs to go in the mix. If you like the whistle then shut up sit down and enjoy a start of a great tradition.
[/quote]

Don't think the "shut up" was deserved buddy. And, I do take in a lot of games and I listen to everyone around me gripe about the whistle. It goes off at every first down, every time more than a few yards is gained and it's gotten annoying to a lot of "fans". If it were only on TD's, "BIG" plays, etc. I would welcome this "tradition" but if it's over-used it negates it's whole purpose!! Again, just made an observation and stated an opinion so I would appreciate it if you could keep the "shut-ups" to a minimum. Thanks!
[/quote]

Okay sorry for the shut up part. I hate when people complain about something that people work hard for to support the kids. I know the big horn on the field replaced all of the loud horns in the stands that did really bother people alot. The horn is being blown by kids out of the high school. They are told when to blow it and sometimes they may get a little "excited" sometimes. I believe that the horn makes up for the people that don't cheer on the boys on the field all the way to the end of the game. The horn doesn't leave in the middle of the 3rd qtr if we are behind. If the boys on the field love it to blow all the time and it pumps them up then they should have it. They are the ones playing the game not the fans.

Guest LR1969
[quote name="goodsport" post="831373" timestamp="1282868908"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Okay sorry for the shut up part. I hate when people complain about something that people work hard for to support the kids. I know the big horn on the field replaced all of the loud horns in the stands that did really bother people alot. The horn is being blown by kids out of the high school. They are told when to blow it and sometimes they may get a little "excited" sometimes. I believe that the horn makes up for the people that don't cheer on the boys on the field all the way to the end of the game. The horn doesn't leave in the middle of the 3rd qtr if we are behind. If the boys on the field love it to blow all the time and it pumps them up then they should have it. They are the ones playing the game not the fans.
[/quote]

Thanks. We can agree to agree in part and disagree in part. I think both of our intentions are the same...we both want an exciting atmosphere and we both support the horn but we just like it to a different degree..HA! That's fine with me. And, it is about the kids on the field. Let's just hope we can all remember that as the year goes on. That one's easily forgotten!

[quote name="LR1969" post="831398" timestamp="1282870157"]
[quote author=goodsport link=topic=71918.msg831373#msg831373 date=1282868908]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. We can agree to agree in part and disagree in part. I think both of our intentions are the same...we both want an exciting atmosphere and we both support the horn but we just like it to a different degree..HA! That's fine with me. And, it is about the kids on the field. Let's just hope we can all remember that as the year goes on. That one's easily forgotten!
[/quote]
Just one little correction there Goodsport, the horn is operated by an adult, I forget his relation exactly, but he is related to Coach Creduer, I think he may be his Uncle or something like that. I sat with them last year at the Livingston game since there was no more room in our side, real nice folks, has to be going deaf, that horn is almost unbearable at point blank range.  :P

Mr. Minton operates the horn lol and yea its a bit excessive at times, but you have to just embrace it for what it is...I played in the Fuller era when the stands, cheers, and all of the above were empty. Take it how it comes and just ride it ya know. Larry Staggs has been the PA guy for the past few years, he kinda adopted the Houston Texans style, "thats good for another Lumberton Raider FIRST DOWN" also not liked by some fans, but also is just another display of spirit, unity, and passion. Cant please everyone but try to see it all positive compared to not too many years ago when Lumberton games were dismal and punishment lol.

Guest LR1969
Believe me...I remember the low years. I was here during the Spacek years...Mid 80's. It has definitely gotten better. Totally different environment now and I am glad to see it.

I enjoy our announcer.  I don't find that he detracts at all from what's going on down on the field, but instead, keeps the crowd well aware and has a good time with it.  I'd rather him than some boring, dry old guy that you can barely hear and makes you wanna doze off!

My senior year we were 0-10 and the stands were never full and the games were never fun.  The band and the cheerleaders were about the only things about the games that showed spirit.  I am THANKFUL that the Raiders are finally building some traditions.  The horn is great, although sometimes, they blow it indiscriminately.  Since it has to remain outside the stadium and they're depending on radios for communications, I can understand how there would be an issue sometimes. 

That reminds me.  I need to dig up some shakers and buy some wooden train whistles.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder