Nederland thrown for a surprise; Kelly beats heat

[quote name="A Bear's Bear" post="822718" timestamp="1280857316"]
First Price Jacobs at GCM, then Smith at Nederland...
[/quote]

Oh, it started long before Price opted to skip football.  This is a trend that could be traced back to last when Statum and Felts did the same thing at Orangefield.  And this year, Dillon Duplant, who was slated to be the starting quarterback at Hardin-Jefferson, opted to skip football to concentrate on baseball.  In fact, it appeared that Orangefield was going to lose its starting quarterback to select ball up until last week and may still end up losing some players who opt to skip football to concentrate on select baseball. 

These young men certainly have to do with they must feel is in their best interest, but I must agree that it is a growing trend and a disturbing one as schools, especially the smaller ones, need ALL of their best athletes.

I don't think this is disturbing as long as the students are doing what they want. If they are doing what makes them happy and also doing what will most likely get them a free college ride and will get them to the next level. The schools will he okay it is totally up to the players and if that is what they want then go for it.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="822742" timestamp="1280865920"]
I don't think this is disturbing as long as the students are doing what they want. If they are doing what makes them happy and also doing what will most likely get them a free college ride and will get them to the next level. The schools will he okay it is totally up to the players and if that is what they want then go for it.
[/quote]

i agree. they should be able to do what they want to do.

Tyler has received interest from colleges to play at the next level, I can understand his desire to work hard in the fall to get better then have a great senior year on the diamond. Hats off to Trevin, committed to TCU but will come back his senior year to play mulitple positions on the gridiron.

It today's climate, dollars are scarce. When colleges extend those dollars it will go to the best academics and best talent.

Yes it seems to be the trend but it only seems to be in baseball and softball.

I believe that over 80% of athletes that are in college on a scholarship were all multiple sport athletes in high school. But if you break it down by sport, I imagine that only 50-60% on scholarship in baseball are multiple sport athletes.

Guest Penny
I totally agree it's about what the kids want... and it may have more to do with what they value versus what they want.  While everyone would ponder about why a kid isn't playing, the answer lies in why a Bellow and a Sonnier do?  Read Sonnier's response on why he showed up to two a days yesterday... and there you have it.  And that's what the Boys of Fall are about.  No scholarship can take that out of a competitors gut.

[quote name="huddle" post="822879" timestamp="1280935896"]
There seems to be a trend away from what is best for the team and your teammates to what is best for me. I think it is a sad trend.
[/quote]
Do you really want a kid who's heart is not all in it and might be more worried about injury than making plays running your team?

I have to say that Mr. Smith probably made this decision based on his own past (injury last year) and the previous two QB's, who both were/are bound for college as baseball players and not football players. Good for him. I say it's a sign of maturity. He made a tough decision about his future.

[quote name="huddle" post="822879" timestamp="1280935896"]
There seems to be a trend away from what is best for the team and your teammates to what is best for me. I think it is a sad trend.
[/quote]

I don't know that it is a trend of selfishness.  These young men (and as we have learned this year, young women, too) are making decisions about their lives beyond high school.  Part of that decision making is not selfish, but rather selfless.  Those that have either had to pay for their own education or have sent kids to college know what an expensive proposition it is.  So these young men and women, who I am sure acting on advice that foregoing playing a fall high school sport will increase their chances of earning a college scholarship, have chosen to sacrifice experience that goes with being on their high school teams to ease their family's financial burden.  That is truly admirable and mature beyond their chronoligical age.

Here is why I used the word "disturbing" in an earlier post.  As I just stated, I have no doubt that those that are foregoing their respective fall sports are receiving advice that the extra exposure and/or practice will increase their chances of receiving an athletic scholarship.  However, in following high school sports, I know that the percentage of young men and women who play sports, be it high school or select, that are offered athletic scholarships is preciously small.  And the reputation of some select coaches is that they are a bit, let me put this diplomatically, possessive, of the players on their team.  I certainly hope that the advice that these young men and women are receiving is SOUND advice based upon their current skill level and actual chances of growing into a college prospect rather than advice based upon ulterior motive.  Otherwise, they will have given up an experience that they will never get back, and in the meantime possibly harm the performance of their friends and sacrifice their chances at scholarship, for nothing.  Unfortunately as the numbers opting to go this route increase and the numbers of scholarships given in the area do not, I fear that some will not have their expectations met...and that is where everyone loses.

That being said, I wish Price, Tyler and Dillon, and those like them well and hope that their goals are met.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="822898" timestamp="1280940217"]
[quote author=huddle link=topic=71383.msg822879#msg822879 date=1280935896]
[/quote]

I don't know that it is a trend of selfishness.  These young men (and as we have learned this year, young women, too) are making decisions about their lives beyond high school.  Part of that decision making is not selfish, but rather selfless.  Those that have either had to pay for their own education or have sent kids to college know what an expensive proposition it is.  So these young men and women, who I am sure acting on advice that forgoing playing a fall high school sport will increase their chances of earning a college scholarship, have chosen to sacrifice experience that goes with being on their high school teams to ease their family's financial burden.  That is truly admirable and mature beyond their chronoligical age.

Here is why I used the word "disturbing" in an earlier post.  As I just stated, I have no doubt that those that are foregoing their respective fall sports are receiving advice that the extra exposure and/or practice will increase their chances of receiving an athletic scholarship.  However, in following high school sports, I know that the percentage of young men and women who play sports, be it high school or select, that are offered athletic scholarships is preciously small.  And the reputation of some select coaches is that they are a bit, let me put this diplomatically, possessive, of the players on their team.  I certainly hope that the advice that these young men and women are receiving is SOUND advice based upon their current skill level and actual chances of growing into a college prospect rather than advice based upon ulterior motive.  Otherwise, they will have given up an experience that they will never get back, and in the meantime possibly harm the performance of their friends and sacrifice their chances at scholarship, for nothing.  Unfortunately as the numbers opting to go this route increase and the numbers of scholarships given in the area do not, I fear that some will not have their expectations met...and that is where everyone loses.

That being said, I wish Price, Tyler and Dillon, and those like them well and hope that their goals are met.

[/quote]

Good post grad.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="822898" timestamp="1280940217"]
[quote author=huddle link=topic=71383.msg822879#msg822879 date=1280935896]
[/quote]

I don't know that it is a trend of selfishness.  These young men (and as we have learned this year, young women, too) are making decisions about their lives beyond high school.  Part of that decision making is not selfish, but rather selfless.  Those that have either had to pay for their own education or have sent kids to college know what an expensive proposition it is.  So these young men and women, who I am sure acting on advice that forgoing playing a fall high school sport will increase their chances of earning a college scholarship, have chosen to sacrifice experience that goes with being on their high school teams to ease their family's financial burden.  That is truly admirable and mature beyond their chronoligical age.

[/quote]

GREAT POST,  and very well said WOS.  You hit this one out of the park.  Excuse the pun. ;)

Admin, I have heard the same thing. I heard he has great hands and from the few times I have met him he seems to have a great head on his shoulders. I think he will be as good as Brady and Cardenas from the past couple of years  and if he is our receivers with Salenga Sonnier and Schlett should be great!

Cunningham will be one to watch. At 6' 2" 180 or so, he is quick, has good hands and he can dunk a basketball, so he can leap as well. I expect him to be every bit as good as Brady and Cardenas. Great kid with a focused vision. Also, Forney and he are buds so you should see them hook-up frequently this year. I look for Chris to be newcomer of the year in 20-4a. Can't wait.

While I understand these decisions aren't easy, it's hard for me grasp the idea that a senior, who has played multiple sports every year up to this point, deciding to forego their senior year and focus on 1 sport.  To each his own, but the focus here isn't on 1 sport, it's the possibility of injury from that other sport.  I can't say it's selfish, nor will I say it's selfless, but being a former college baseball player I would have never dreamed of not playing football my senior year to focus on the diamond - plus it helped me stay in awesome shape. 

Good luck to the Dawgs.... 

[quote name="Anafanatic" post="822965" timestamp="1280956776"]
While I understand these decisions aren't easy, it's hard for me grasp the idea that a senior, who has played multiple sports every year up to this point, deciding to forego their senior year and focus on 1 sport.  To each his own, but the focus here isn't on 1 sport, it's the possibility of injury from that other sport.  I can't say it's selfish, nor will I say it's selfless, but being a former college baseball player I would have never dreamed of not playing football my senior year to focus on the diamond - plus it helped me stay in awesome shape. 

Good luck to the Dawgs.... 
[/quote]

Well......like you said "to each his own".  What was good for you may not be what is best for another.

I think it is a toss up, whatever you decide.  I did this exact thing and quit football for baseball when I was a sophomore way back in the day.  I did it to try and avoid injury in football.  Made varsity as a sophomore and I'll be damn, tore ligaments in my knee the weekend before district started in a collision at home plate.  Definitely wish I would have stayed in football after the fact.  You never know what is going to happen so best of luck to all the area high school athletes with whatever they decide.  Hopefully it will be an injury free season for everyone!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin