Now That You Have Read It Rate It

I quit buying it. He would rank a team in a district to come in like second or third in there district .. Then on another page the same team he ranked second or third in that district,  he would rank them in the top 25 in the state.(without the team that was ranked ahead of them in there own district ranked in the top 25.)  They use to have a few good articles and the history  and records section was pretty good ,but thats about it.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="piratefan" post="813309" timestamp="1276781422"]
I quit buying it. He would rank a team in a district to come in like second or third in there district .. Then on another page the same team he ranked second or third in that district,  he would rank them in the top 25 in the state.
[/quote]

Seems like folks are beginning to realize the creadibility level of it, and beginning to realize it is to be bought for [i]entertainment purposes[/i], only.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="813356" timestamp="1276793583"]
Mr. Campbell Doesn't rank any team or player!
[/quote]

No, but as mentioned in an earlier thread, he certainly attaches his name to the whole production. Wether he personally generated the content or not, he [i]will be [/i] directly connected to it if he willingly puts his name on it. Thats just the way it works. 

I wouldn't mind doing it as long as transportation & expenses were covered.One thing though I would not accept any form of $ for services rendered so money could not influence me in any way.I never thought not being physically able to work  would get very boring.This site helps me vent a bit.

[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="813356" timestamp="1276793583"]
Mr. Campbell Doesn't rank any team or player!
[/quote]it dotn matter . and i could careless what the rankings are or who ranks them..but what sense does it make to rank a team to place 2nd or 3rd in there district and then turn around and place them in the top 15 or 25 of the whole state? it makes the whole magazine lose credibility. and if myname was on it like his is then I would makse sure my "people" do a better job of the ranking part.
  Its like owning a business and its a sub par business and the owner says "I dont actually do the work,its just my name and I am the owner of it" thats dumb!

Guest LR1969
[quote name="liltex" post="813310" timestamp="1276781563"]
No because his staff does the leg work we just need a STAFF member from SETX promoting our kids and a few sponsors ::) ;)
[/quote]

I guess I would be as close to that as you are going to get (a blogger for the Golden Triangle on www.texasfootball.com). First off, Mr. Campbell sold his rights to the mag over 20 years ago but his name is still attached. He has probably done more for high school football coverage/publicity, etc. in Texas than just about anybody so let's not rake him over the coals for what IMG (the current producer of the mag) does or doesn't do. Yes, his name is attached but IMG did purchase his name for use on the magazine.

As for the coverage. The office is in the Dallas area and the staff is small when you consider the coverage area. The staff depends on info from coaches, local media, etc. to put together their annual magazine. Also, in regards to our neck of the woods; I know many do not want to hear this but the truth is the truth. We have had some good runs from SE TX over the past few years but not enough to lift us above the Dallas/Houston/Austin/San Antonio sections of the State. Look at the stats over the last 10 years and then try to argue that we deserve more coverage than the "other" schools that keep filling the pages. There have been several high points but a small area like ours needs more than just a few high points if it wants to garner the type of attention that the larger areas get. I might add that Travis Stewart went out of his way to ensure that LeFrederick Ford (Kirbyville) appeared in the Winter edition. In fact, he pushed the deadline as close as he possibly could, waiting for me to get a pic from a photographer in Kirbyville so he could include Fred in the edition. And, I personally communicated with Travis about local schools (PN-G, Central, WB, WO-S, Newton, etc.) throughout last season and I can promise you that he knows far more about our neck of the woods than you would think. But, in the end, the staff can only highlight so many schools.

This is not personal folks. Believe me, the DCTF staff are high school football fans (to the extreme) and they agonize over every exclusion. But, this is Texas and most of us already gripe about the cost of the magazine. If they actually tried to please everyone, the dang magazine wouldn't fit on most kitchen tables and it would have to be shipped via UPS and carried to your door on a dolly. And, I don't think my credit is good enough to finance what would probably be the most expensive magazine in the country (ha).

And, if you think it's possible to "analyze" the football scene across Texas to "our liking" then think again. It's too big of a job but the staff does the best it can to keep a legacy going. It has never pleased everyone and yet it is considered by most to be the most in depth high school football magazine in the country. And, I would have to agree. And, like many of you, I read it for "entertainment purposes" and because it has become a tradition for me. I can remember my father reading the magazine when I was a kid and I try to keep that tradition going. But, like anyone, I know that much of it is no more than an educated guess and football is played on the field, not on the pages of a magazine. So, if you are a hs football fan, be thankful you live in a state where it is truly appreciated and where a magazine like this gives us something to look forward to each summer. It may not be perfect but at least it provides a few good memories for the kids who get their pics on the pages and, if nothing else, that alone makes it worth the $10 price tag.

If you want to see more coverage of this area then pray hard for some Championships. We've had some close calls but close calls don't warrant the "big stories". One last word on that. Unfortunately, I am out of town and I haven't even seen the magazine yet but I can say that had KV not moved up to 3A, I think people in Wildcat Country would be bragging about the coverage this year. I know Travis has followed KV closely and there is no doubt in my mind that KV's 2 year run would have warranted a feature story. But, with realignment, the Kats chance at a 3rd straight 2A Championship game died and, with it, probably that story. Again, I haven't seen the mag yet so I don't know what type of coverage the Kats received (if any) but I have to say that no local team has earned the right to gripe about the lack of coverage as much as KV has (but blame the UIL Realignment for any new snubs (ha)). I will also add Dayton to that list (for several years of local domination and nice playoff runs). Beyond that, there have been some nice runs but nothing to write home about (sorry soulja...the Jags have impressed me over the last couple of years by coming together late in the season but the rest of the state won't care until they bring home a trophy or at least make the "big" game a time or two) And, PN-G fans, it will take more than one "good" year to get the kind of coverage you want. Look back at some old editions from the late 70's and you'll see the Indians were well-covered. Return to that "lofty" state and you'll see PN-G right back in the mix. Same goes for the Bruins.

Lastly, please feel free to email me at anytime with your comments (nice ones folks), etc. and I will personally try to communicate info to Travis Stewart so we can have the best coverage possible. In fact, if you have info about players, teams, coaches, etc. that you feel is news worthy, please let me know and I'll forward it to him for the newsletter, website, etc. and I will definitely do what I can in my blog next season. That's a promise. My email is [email protected]. and I will respond to your email...Assuming you don't cuss me...ha!

Have a good day and God Bless!

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="LR1969" post="813452" timestamp="1276822768"]

First off, [size=14pt]Mr. Campbell sold[/size] his rights to the mag over 20 years ago but his name is still attached. He has probably done more for high school football coverage/publicity, etc. in Texas than just about anybody so let's not rake him over the coals for what IMG (the current producer of the mag) does or doesn't do. Yes, his name is attached but IMG [size=14pt]did purchase his name[/size] for use on the magazine.
[/quote]

I appreciate all you wrote (you must have tired fingers!). I would just like to say regarding this current topic, "SOLD" is, for better or worse, the operative word. Think about it, if you are going to profit by selling your name for whatever reason, you automatically assume the direct connection, and whatever consequences that may or may not arise from it.

If DC was willing to assume that risk for profit, so be it. If not, he should not have accepted the profits that arise from it. I am not trying to be rude or harsh at all. In actuality, and in all fairness, thats exactly how things work in the business world.

Again, thanks for your perspective!  :)      

Guest LR1969
[quote name="ECBucFan" post="813457" timestamp="1276823694"]
[quote author=LR1969 link=topic=70591.msg813452#msg813452 date=1276822768]

First off, [size=14pt]Mr. Campbell sold[/size] his rights to the mag over 20 years ago but his name is still attached. He has probably done more for high school football coverage/publicity, etc. in Texas than just about anybody so let's not rake him over the coals for what IMG (the current producer of the mag) does or doesn't do. Yes, his name is attached but IMG [size=14pt]did purchase his name[/size] for use on the magazine.
[/quote]

I appreciate all you wrote (you must have tired fingers!). I would just like to say regarding this current topic, "SOLD" is, for better or worse, the operative word. Think about it, if you are going to profit by selling your name for whatever reason, you automatically assume the direct connection, and whatever consequences that may or may not arise from it.

If DC was willing to assume that risk for profit, so be it. If not, he should not have accepted the profits that arise from it. I am not trying to be rude or harsh at all. In actuality, and in all fairness, thats exactly how things work in the business world.

Again, thanks for your perspective!  :)     
[/quote]

No offense taken...But, it's not as if IMG has done anything malicious or evil here...The fact is, in every corner of the State, someone is griping about local coverage in the mag. I guarantee you, there are folks in Dallas who are ticked today at the coverage. And, in all fairness, I don't consider Mr. Campbell a sell out. He sold his magazine for what I'm sure was a nice sum (as is common in business) and I don't personally think IMG has done anything that would warrant Dave asking them to remove his name. In the end, he is all about providing an outlet for highlighting high school (and college) football players in the state of Texas in the best way possible. And, again, I don't know of any other magazine in the country that does a better job than DCTF (to include back when Dave ran it all or today when IMG calls the shots) at doing just that. It's still the best mag around in its category (Regional HS/College Football Coverage).

But, I do appreciate your opinion. Like mine, it's just that (an opinion) and you are entitled to yours just as much as I am entitled to mine. That's what makes this all "good fun" in the first place. If it becomes much more than that then it's probably a bit unhealthy anyway.

Looking forward to any input you can provide this season...just message/email me!

Guest ECBucFan
Final thoughts: I never even implied "[i]IMG has done anything malicious or evil here[/i]" nor do I consider DC a "sellout" at all, I just see DC as a business man. However, he just can't be somehow shielded from public opinion if he willingly sold his prominently displayed and marketed name to the mag, as some have suggested.

I hope I wasn't taken wrong. I'm just having an intriguing dialogue which I have enjoyed, but that will be all for me on this now.

I do appreciate your involvement in this discussion.  :)   

Guest LR1969
[quote name="ECBucFan" post="813473" timestamp="1276827400"]
Final thoughts: I never even implied "[i]IMG has done anything malicious or evil here[/i]" nor do I consider DC a "sellout" at all, I just see DC as a business man. However, he just can't be somehow shielded from public opinion if he willingly sold his prominently displayed and marketed name to the mag, as some have suggested.

I hope I wasn't taken wrong. I'm just having an intriguing dialogue which I have enjoyed, but that will be all for me on this now.

I do appreciate your involvement in this discussion.  :)   
[/quote]

I know...same here...didn't mean to imply you thought anything like that (malicious/evil,etc.). Enjoyed discussion with you. Look forward to further discussion on other issues. Thanks!

Guest LR1969
[quote name="liltex" post="813376" timestamp="1276799928"]
I wouldn't mind doing it as long as transportation & expenses were covered.One thing though I would not accept any form of $ for services rendered so money could not influence me in any way.I never thought not being physically able to work  would get very boring.This site helps me vent a bit.
[/quote]

The part about "money influencing you" is actually somewhat funny...Believe me, there are very few sportswriters who earn enough money to be influenced by anything....HA! If you knew what most make (or how much is volunteer, etc.) you would understand why many of us do this on a part-time basis rather than full-time. I actually spend most of my days wading swamps, covered in mud, fighting off mosquitos, ticks, snakes and gators to put food on the table and to pay for the computer that I use to pursue my part-time writing gigs. It's purely a labor of love that has yet to make me rich...Take care and sorry to hear about your "down time" but I can relate to the "venting" part. I am very thankful to have this outlet! God bless!

LR1969 the post meant I would not do it for money.I draw a military disabled compensation so it would all be for fun as I was responding to a post by Bigdog asking if I was volunteering.Sorry if this upsets you and I'm sorry you have struggles of your own.Being alumni @Dayton from the 60's I can tell you we've had to earn our spot in the headlines yet a state title still evades us that says how hard the game really is.

[quote name="skipper" post="813408" timestamp="1276806323"]
its like OWENS COUNTRY SAUSAGE,thay only use the name and dont eat it  lol.
[/quote]

You putting down your own sausage...that's just wrong. :-*

I wonder if Jimmy Dean ate his.By the way he just recently passed away.I think he was in his 80s.My my,how time flys.Remember his hit " Big John "?

[quote name="liltex" post="813518" timestamp="1276864633"]
LR1969 the post meant I would not do it for money.I draw a military disabled compensation so it would all be for fun as I was responding to a post by Bigdog asking if I was volunteering.Sorry if this upsets you and I'm sorry you have struggles of your own.Being alumni @Dayton from the 60's I can tell you we've had to earn our spot in the headlines yet a state title still evades us that says how hard the game really is.
[/quote]

I heard that...  Were still looking for our first one. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder