Little League Allstars

Just curious how some of the local Little Leagues pick their all-star teams.  For Major League (10,11,12 yr olds).  Do you make the best all-star team regardless of age, or just make 3 teams based on age.  Our local team could field a pretty good 12 yr old team if several of the 11 yr olds were combined with the 12 yr olds.  Our league will not allow players to play up and it seems to be hurting our teams.  There are several 12 yr olds on the all-star team who have one hit all season.  They are great kids,  but should'nt you strive to put the best team together to represent your community.

Ha. That's been the thought for years but very rarely happens. As the saying goes, Talent is in the eye of the beholder unless it's a coach's, boardmembers or friends kids.  All-Stars in my eyes should be selected from the offical scoreboard with the highest 8 batting avg and the best 4 pitchers by K's making it. 

[quote name="The GOAT" post="809617" timestamp="1275782793"]
What is the major league age cut off?
[/quote]Major League is 10,11,12 yr olds as of April 1st.  Our Little League has 16 twelve yr olds and they are trying to make an all star team from those 16.  There are about 6-7 that should be all stars,  not 14 of the 16.  If we combined with the top 5 eleven yr olds we could have a real all star team.

[quote name="Bobcat101" post="808671" timestamp="1275573958"]
Ha. That's been the thought for years but very rarely happens. As the saying goes, Talent is in the eye of the beholder unless it's a coach's, boardmembers or friends kids.  All-Stars in my eyes should be selected from the offical scoreboard with the highest 8 batting avg and the best 4 pitchers by K's making it. 
[/quote]

you're right it rarely happens that an all star team is all the "best" players, regardless of age. it's been said there is no "perfect" way so most leagues accept the almost least perfect way. but chances are real good that the top 4 pitchers will also be in the top 8 batting ave. (which are less significant than you would think within a range because guess what-that team with the dad stacked pitching staff never has to face the "best" pitching) so that still leaves you with only 8 to maybe 10 players. it sounds like the "problem" is that some 11 y.o. in that league are better players than some of the 12 y.o., on the bright side if you're playing against other 12 y.o. only teams hopefully they're hamstrung the same way.  ;)

In Groves, we play 11s and 12s together on the Major team.  We always have 2 or 3 11s make the team.  We've always said our Major team is our Varsity.  Put the best 12 out there to represent your league.  There are some little leagues that are so big that they can field a very competitive team with just 12 yr olds but for the smaller leagues I think it's crazy not to include 11s in the discussion.

Guest FPHS 78
[quote name="westend1" post="808676" timestamp="1275574795"]
West End goes by age group.   There are always a couple of 11's who could help the team, but they play with their age group.
[/quote]

W.E.L.L. had three 11 yr olds on last years all star team.  W.E.L.L. All star team is determined before the season starts....take the "select" kids and the coaches kids...[u]EVERY[/u] select kid-deserving or not- [u]AND EVERY[/u] coaches kid makes it.....STATS mean squat......sad but true ???  may be why they don't advance very far, alot of talent left off...same kids, year after year
if i knew the players I could tell you right now who will be on west end's "all star" team this year

[quote name="FPHS 78" post="810066" timestamp="1275962199"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=70252.msg808676#msg808676 date=1275574795]
West End goes by age group.   There are always a couple of 11's who could help the team, but they play with their age group.
[/quote]

W.E.L.L. had three 11 yr olds on last years all star team.  W.E.L.L. All star team is determined before the season starts....take the "select" kids and the coaches kids...[u]EVERY[/u] select kid-deserving or not- [u]AND EVERY[/u] coaches kid makes it.....STATS mean squat......sad but true ???  may be why they don't advance very far, alot of talent left off...same kids, year after year
if i knew the players I could tell you right now who will be on west end's "all star" team this year

[/quote]sounds like your kid or grandkid didn't make it. west end always fields a competitive team from what i've seen.

[quote name="LifesABall" post="809955" timestamp="1275940888"]
In Groves, we play 11s and 12s together on the Major team.  We always have 2 or 3 11s make the team.  We've always said our Major team is our Varsity.  Put the best 12 out there to represent your league.  There are some little leagues that are so big that they can field a very competitive team with just 12 yr olds but for the smaller leagues [b]I think it's crazy not to include 11s in the discussion.
[/quote][/b]
Exactly.  Silsbee has 16 twelve yr olds to choose from.  Hard to make a competitive allstar team from that. 

[quote name="FPHS 78" post="810066" timestamp="1275962199"]
West End goes by age group.   There are always a couple of 11's who could help the team, but they play with their age group.
[/quote]

W.E.L.L. had three 11 yr olds on last years all star team.  W.E.L.L. All star team is determined before the season starts....take the "select" kids and the coaches kids...[u]EVERY[/u] select kid-deserving or not- [u]AND EVERY[/u] coaches kid makes it.....STATS mean squat......sad but true ???  may be why they don't advance very far, alot of talent left off...same kids, year after year

[/quote]

The only 11's West End had were kids who played with that same group until the cutoff date changed.(Absent the age cutoff change, they would have been twelves)  They were allowed to play with the kids they grew up with.  West End has allowed that since the change took effect.   And, by the way, that group went to state a couple of years ago and barely got beat out at the sectional tourney last year.

[quote name="westend1" post="810238" timestamp="1276013935"]
[quote author=FPHS 78 link=topic=70252.msg810066#msg810066 date=1275962199]
West End goes by age group.   There are always a couple of 11's who could help the team, but they play with their age group.
[/quote]

W.E.L.L. had three 11 yr olds on last years all star team.  W.E.L.L. All star team is determined before the season starts....take the "select" kids and the coaches kids...[u]EVERY[/u] select kid-deserving or not- [u]AND EVERY[/u] coaches kid makes it.....STATS mean squat......sad but true ???  may be why they don't advance very far, alot of talent left off...same kids, year after year

[/quote]

The only 11's West End had were kids who played with that same group until the cutoff date changed.(Absent the age cutoff change, they would have been twelves)  They were allowed to play with the kids they grew up with.  West End has allowed that since the change took effect.   And, by the way, that group went to state a couple of years ago and barely got beat out at the sectional tourney last year.
[/quote]

The problem with that is they play up during the league but then when it comes to All-Stars they play down with their age group & shoot people in their age group out of All-Stars that played together all season... these group of kids come back for All-Stars & take over... even if they aren't as good as the ones that played with their age group but because they've been playing up they automatically make the roster & are assumed to be better... Not fair to those playing in age group all year & not trying to be showboats. If they play up then they shouldn't be eligible to play down just for All-Stars they oughta have to play in their age group for the duration of the season to be eligible...

[quote name="AllSportsMom" post="810508" timestamp="1276056697"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=70252.msg810238#msg810238 date=1276013935]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The problem with that is they play up during the league but then when it comes to All-Stars they play down with their age group & shoot people in their age group out of All-Stars that played together all season... these group of kids come back for All-Stars & take over... even if they aren't as good as the ones that played with their age group but because they've been playing up they automatically make the roster & are assumed to be better... Not fair to those playing in age group all year & not trying to be showboats. If they play up then they shouldn't be eligible to play down just for All-Stars they oughta have to play in their age group for the duration of the season to be eligible...

[/quote]????      Are you talking about West End?    I'm not aware of anyone who played up during league play and then played down for allstars.  The kids we are talking about played in the majors all year.

Guest FPHS 78
[quote name="spoonbill" post="810220" timestamp="1276011924"]
[/quote]

[/quote]sounds like your kid or grandkid didn't make it. west end always fields a competitive team from what i've seen.
[/quote]

nope, just a fan...

Guest FPHS 78
[quote name="westend1" post="810537" timestamp="1276085763"]
[quote author=AllSportsMom link=topic=70252.msg810508#msg810508 date=1276056697]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]????      Are you talking about West End?    I'm not aware of anyone who played up during league play and then played down for allstars.   The kids we are talking about played in the majors all year.
[/quote
yes, they played in the majors, but they were eleven, 12 this yr

FPHS, I'd love to know what talent was left of the WELL All Star team last year.  That core group of boys won district as 10's, 11's and 12's.  As 10's they went to state and as 12's they went to the sectional championship and lost to the Bridge City team that won state and was one game from the little league world series.  There wasn't anyone left off that team that would have changed the end result.

Guest FPHS 78
[quote name="bmtcpa87" post="810687" timestamp="1276112686"]
FPHS, I'd love to know what talent was left of the WELL All Star team last year.  That core group of boys won district as 10's, 11's and 12's.  As 10's they went to state and as 12's they went to the sectional championship and lost to the Bridge City team that won state and was one game from the little league world series.  There wasn't anyone left off that team that would have changed the end result.
[/quote]

proves my point...same 18 kids 10/11/12.......
anyway, that was an very good group of ball players..what, there was 18-19 all-stars and alternates...10-12 of em legit all stars, altho, if you have a broken arm for most of the year, you shouldnt automatically be an all star-great kid tho-..a couple of the alternates played far better during the year than some of the starters and the usual 5 that shouldnt have been selected at all..sorry cant give kids names here...want initials?  did not have allstar years---b.c.,d.d.,q.m., both j.t,w.l....j.d. was hurt most the year...a.h. shoulda been a starter...

[quote name="westend1" post="810537" timestamp="1276085763"]
[quote author=AllSportsMom link=topic=70252.msg810508#msg810508 date=1276056697]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]????      Are you talking about West End?    I'm not aware of anyone who played up during league play and then played down for allstars.   The kids we are talking about played in the majors all year.
[/quote]

I wasn't referring to current major leaguers that played up for season/down for allstars cuz they did stay in minors this year & didn't play up... referring to next season when you have 5+ gonna play up cuz they'll get 3 yrs in majors & then play dn for allstars...

[quote name="FPHS 78" post="810926" timestamp="1276137379"]
[quote author=bmtcpa87 link=topic=70252.msg810687#msg810687 date=1276112686]
[/quote]

anyway, that was an very good group of ball players..what, there was 18-19 all-stars and alternates...10-12 of em legit all stars, altho, if you have a broken arm for most of the year, you shouldnt automatically be an all star-great kid tho-..a couple of the alternates played far better during the year than some of the starters and the usual 5 that shouldnt have been selected at all..sorry cant give kids names here...want initials?  did not have allstar years---b.c.,d.d.,q.m., both j.t,w.l....j.d. was hurt most the year...a.h. shoulda been a starter...
[/quote]

Rules say you have to play 60% of the season to be eligible for all-stars but no one checks that... kids out w/broken hands, fingers, toes etc cuz get hurt in select tourneys & can't participate in league yet can make all-stars... some of same kids/others do not practice for all-stars yet start/play every game... when I grew up No Practice - No Play (except mandatory time)...

[quote name="truthhurts" post="811123" timestamp="1276178292"]
[quote author=AllSportsMom link=topic=70252.msg811080#msg811080 date=1276147552]
[quote author=FPHS 78 link=topic=70252.msg810926#msg810926 date=1276137379]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rules say you have to play 60% of the season to be eligible for all-stars but no one checks that... kids out w/broken hands, fingers, toes etc cuz get hurt in select tourneys & can't participate in league yet can make all-stars... some of same kids/others do not practice for all-stars yet start/play every game... when I grew up No Practice - No Play (except mandatory time)...
[/quote]

Wow!  Sounds like you and FPHS should get on the board and straighten this mess out.
[/quote]
As long as you're dealing with "League Allstars" it never will be fair to all. You have to just face the facts and deal with it. Anytime you have a coach who is "biased" towards certain players (good or average players), certain good kids will be left out or will make the team and be tossed aside just to get minimum playing time. This is exactly why I decided last year to dig deep into my pockets and find a select team for my kid and not deal with the league politics. I have found a local select team which has a hired coach and very little "Daddy Ball" influence. As long as you are dealing with young kids, you never will entirely get rid of the "Daddy Ball" but you can greatly minimize it. Find a select team who only accepts kids after a tryout and has no more than 10-12 players on the team. If your kid is good enough to make the team, he will get plenty of playing time. I know it is expensive and not everyone can afford it, but it is the only way to get away from the league "screwball" politics. Yes, run for office and see if you can make a difference. Maybe you can and the world will be a much better place for everyone. Well, accept for the kids who never should have been on the Allstar team in the first place.

there is no way to make everyone happy at all-star selection time. it's impossible. many of the people complaining about "coaches sons" or "daddy ball" have the same issues as the "coaches" or "daddys". they believe their little jimmy is better than he really is. i've always been amazed at what people see and don't see in their children's abilities.

FPHS - Those kids - b.c., d.d., q.m. were alternates on the team.  I said that there wasn't anyone left of the team that would have changed the end result.  I stand by that statement.  I wasn't even considering the alternates, as none of them played.  The kid with the broken arm was really a broken thumb suffered in spring football practice the first two weeks of May.  He meet the minimum playing time by one game.  We didn't want anyone protesting that we had an ineligible player, so we checked to make sure.  a.h. had a very good year and was considered for the last spot on the 12 man roster.  It was a tough decision, but we chose someone else who was a bigger stronger kid that had a hot bat at the end of the year.  We felt he was more capable of driving the ball for extra base hits.  By the way, he hit a huge home run in sectionals to start our rally to beat ORWALL in extra innings.  Oh, and neither one of those boys were on our "select" team.  In fact, one of the kids on our select team was left off the 12 man roster because he didn't have a very good year.  He was named as an alternate.   

ASM - When All Star practice started we had 3 boys on a boy scout camp out.  It was a killer.  But when they returned they made every practice and as far as I can remember no one else missed more than one practice, and most of the boys didn't miss a single practice.  And I was at every one of them.  but I don't remember seeing you there. 

[quote name="pngpurple4ever" post="811127" timestamp="1276179544"]
[quote author=truthhurts link=topic=70252.msg811123#msg811123 date=1276178292]
[quote author=AllSportsMom link=topic=70252.msg811080#msg811080 date=1276147552]
[quote author=FPHS 78 link=topic=70252.msg810926#msg810926 date=1276137379]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow!  Sounds like you and FPHS should get on the board and straighten this mess out.
[/quote]
As long as you're dealing with "League Allstars" it never will be fair to all. You have to just face the facts and deal with it. Anytime you have a coach who is "biased" towards certain players (good or average players), certain good kids will be left out or will make the team and be tossed aside just to get minimum playing time. This is exactly why I decided last year to dig deep into my pockets and find a select team for my kid and not deal with the league politics. I have found a local select team which has a hired coach and very little "Daddy Ball" influence. As long as you are dealing with young kids, you never will entirely get rid of the "Daddy Ball" but you can greatly minimize it. Find a select team who only accepts kids after a tryout and has no more than 10-12 players on the team. If your kid is good enough to make the team, he will get plenty of playing time. I know it is expensive and not everyone can afford it, but it is the only way to get away from the league "screwball" politics. Yes, run for office and see if you can make a difference. Maybe you can and the world will be a much better place for everyone. Well, accept for the kids who never should have been on the Allstar team in the first place.
[/quote]

True...True... But life isn't fair...

First thing is to get the board to change the bylaws requiring 13 players... actually the 13 players really wouldn't be a bad thing if the coaches knew the rules regarding playing time for starters/substitutes... if they knew that they wouldn't have put starters back into a game in which they are winning by more than 15 runs... Don't get me wrong my kid has started & sat the bench both... I'm all for that cuz as far as I am concerned they are a team & u win as a team & lose as a team ... But when you have players that think they are better than everyone & parents that think their kids are better than everyone it just doesn't work & kids get hurt.. You don't dog your team mates or your child's teammates when they make an error or strike out cuz it is going to happen after all they are only 9 (Heck I'm 45 & still make mistakes) but you pick 'em up not shut 'em down... play select ball too but I think little league is also important

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder