Could Lamar University be more supportative to High School Playoffs-and benefit!

This is not going to be necessarily a slam dunk about Lamar at all.  It is just an avenue to get some attitudes change possibly

If, say the Friday night games for WO-S vs OF and BC vs Huffman were played at HS fields--first game Friday AND all other games second or even third played all day at Lamar that might benefit Lamar U.

If Lamar would just charge $4000 for whatever ends up being played on Saturday; I guarantee the crowds would arrive and see all the games.  Yes, Lamar just might be chosen by good players at these contest to play and attend college in the Golden Triangle.  A friend of mine said that with these teams bunched together--THE COLLEGE SCOUTS--would attend, as well.

It was an enjoyable Saturday at Nacogdoches: to watch OF and BC take on the 24-3A top foes(in back-to-back games).  Maybe a little pressure to the Representative(both Democratic and Republicans) about Lamar's history of showing little interest in sports supported by the taxpayers of the community--might change their attitude.

While I am at it, every effort has been made to get college level Softball at Lamar University Beaumont and they just have presented us with--passive resistance.

Remember, the creaking hinge gets the oil.  I am going to call a few Politicians and see if they can't take some type of action to get Lamar to be more community-friendly in their Athletic Department!

I know we could draw a big crowd at that stadium Saturday, if Lamar would settle for $4000.00 for whatever games need be played for the UIL Playoffs!

Comments on anyway we can get their Reagents or Top Bureaucrats attention?

Vincent-Beck is not available this weekend, regardless of the cost. ::)

This may be the reason why nobody can play there this weekend:

05/20/10 vs. Stephen F. Austin        Vincent-Beck Stadium 6:30 p.m.
05/21/10 vs. Stephen F. Austin        Vincent-Beck Stadium 6:30 p.m.
05/22/10 vs. Stephen F. Austin        Vincent-Beck Stadium 1:00 p.m.

;)

Guest Burkeville Chronicle
The Jasper/Bridge City series a few years ago was an absolute classic and the series being at The Beck made it all the more special.

Lamar does not allow series to be played when the team is out of town on weekends. They want a representative from the coaching staff there. This is why sometimes indeed the Beck is not being used on weekends. Of course it has been used during the week before the team has left and it will be available for Regional championship rounds if they do not advance to NCAA regionals.

[quote name="Burkeville Chronicle" post="802886" timestamp="1274178108"]
The Jasper/Bridge City series a few years ago was an absolute classic and the series being at The Beck made it all the more special.
[/quote]

couldn't agree with you more.....

[quote name="Critter" post="803778" timestamp="1274389202"]
[quote author=Burkeville Chronicle link=topic=69788.msg802886#msg802886 date=1274178108]
The Jasper/Bridge City series a few years ago was an absolute classic and [b]the series being at The Beck made it all the more special[/b].
[/quote]

couldn't agree with you more.....
[/quote]

Some of the better, most well attended games at the Beck were HS games. 

Nederland vs. LCM Regional Final in 1997 in front of 4,000 + fans was one of the best games I have ever seen.  We had a rematch the next year for the regional finals and had to go to Houston to play.  Playing in the Dome was nice, but nothing compares to playing at home in front of that many people.

[quote name="Burkeville Chronicle" post="802886" timestamp="1274178108"]
[/quote]

Best series i have EVER attended both teams brought there crowds and both student sections were getting after it, and so were both teams!! Just an all around perfect place for high school baseball period.

I wonder what the true reasons are for such a high fee to play the games.

I do know most college athletic institutions lock all their athletic programs into contracts with a food&drink service that it is requires their employees sale the products and they independently earn all money being generated from sporting events.

As for the field use, that interests me.
I do know Coach Gilligan Ricklefsen and Hatten would want all teams in playoffs to perform on their field, they support local programs, coaches, and players the best they are allowed to do under NCAA Rules. Id assume they have their hands tied and cant do much to resolve this situation.

Ive personally been wanting to work on taking it a step forward to finding an independent sponsor to conduct a high school tournament in late February for a Super 8 Baseball Tournament, but if the fees were to be enormous, this just could not be feasible.

PR is huge for the LU program and its a shame IF the administration or their institutional-controlled guidelines are the road block based on finances only.
Lamar has a fantastic field and stadium to view ballgames and Id like to see someone go internally to see why the field fees are so high.
Or is this really the main issue to using the field for big stage ballgames.

When at McNeese State, we sent out letters to all parish(county) high schools to offer them a selected game on their schedule to play on McNeese's field. We only charged an insurance fee, had formal documentations signed, we gave the schools 50-50 gate and had no extra fees on top.
We had our redshirt college players work the field and had a representative run the scoreboard and announcing.
For the rival high schools, Barbe & Sulphur games, we would get over 1000people through the gates which was good PR for our program.
Lamar can manage this in the same way if done properly with a minimum fee.

At the end of the day we are all supportive of all SETx high school programs, regardless if they are YOUR school or not, baseball fans will come out to support another local team in the playoffs.

A very mature and responsible reply! Thank you for sharing some fine thoughts.  If all our "sparkplugs" in the area decide to urge all facets of Lamar's Leadership: I think these folks might really re-think and find a way to make some baseball synergy happen.
Again Thanks!  What a great place for H.S. Uth to get to play on occasion.

[quote name="GTBBaseball" post="804097" timestamp="1274467957"]
I wonder what the true reasons are for such a high fee to play the games.

I do know most college athletic institutions lock all their athletic programs into contracts with a food&drink service that it is requires their employees sale the products and they independently earn all money being generated from sporting events.

As for the field use, that interests me.
I do know Coach Gilligan Ricklefsen and Hatten would want all teams in playoffs to perform on their field, they support local programs, coaches, and players the best they are allowed to do under NCAA Rules. Id assume they have their hands tied and cant do much to resolve this situation.

Ive personally been wanting to work on taking it a step forward to finding an independent sponsor to conduct a high school tournament in late February for a Super 8 Baseball Tournament, but if the fees were to be enormous, this just could not be feasible.

PR is huge for the LU program and its a shame IF the administration or their institutional-controlled guidelines are the road block based on finances only.
Lamar has a fantastic field and stadium to view ballgames and Id like to see someone go internally to see why the field fees are so high.
Or is this really the main issue to using the field for big stage ballgames.

When at McNeese State, we sent out letters to all parish(county) high schools to offer them a selected game on their schedule to play on McNeese's field. We only charged an insurance fee, had formal documentations signed, we gave the schools 50-50 gate and had no extra fees on top.
We had our redshirt college players work the field and had a representative run the scoreboard and announcing.
For the rival high schools, Barbe & Sulphur games, we would get over 1000people through the gates which was good PR for our program.
Lamar can manage this in the same way if done properly with a minimum fee.

At the end of the day we are all supportive of all SETx high school programs, regardless if they are YOUR school or not, baseball fans will come out to support another local team in the playoffs.

[/quote]

nice.

I have found out a few concerns recently about the use of Lamars facility for playoff baseball.

The coaching staff holds sole responsibility DURING an event at their stadium, so they must be on site to manage every aspect of an event.
They cannot be on the road...they(coaching staff) would need to be there to supervise the numerous aspects of running a high school playoff game that would bring say 800-2000fans.

Secondly, the facility charge/fees for an event estimate out to roughly $1500-$1600.
This entails 4 security guards, announcers, scoreboard, etc... you must realise a scoreboard such as Lamars is NOT such a simple tasks at operating.
Also, overall general management of activities at such an event,  as in managing the gate, ticket sales, food-drink sales and more.

I read where someone said Rice was used for playoff baseball while they were on the road, maybe they have a 'Baseball Operations position' as many large conference schools have to be in attendance while the coaches are on the road, hence being able to manage events on their field while the ballclub and coaches are not present.

For those who have 'rumored' it cost $2500-$4000 to conduct such an event, I have looked into it and those rumors are false.

The main concern at a mid-major would be having the staff in place to manage it professionally and make it a Good PR move for the institution, staff, and program with exposing the school to numerous talented high school players. Id assume they want to make a great impression. This could only be done with the coaching staff avaliable to oversee things while the event is taking place.

So as I previously stated, Coach Gilligan-Ricklefsen-Hatten welcome as many games as possible there but they want to manage the event properly which is a challenge when they are on the road playing or out with other pririoties as recruiting etc...

My personal experience has been fantastic with Jim and his staff, they have always been extremely professional and gone beyond supporting events that I've conducted their for kids.
We host tournaments in the summer and fall and our GTB Fall Prospect League whereby numerous college recruiters and professional scouts drive down to see our SETx-SWLa seniors perform could not be done without the support and time Lamars staff puts in to making it happen.

Chris Fackler

Thats interesting to learn that an NCAA Institution is accountable for High School Athletic Expenses.
I wonder why Lamar would be responsible for paying 3 umpires and not the respective schools who were involved.
Do I understand your post correctly, Lamar was suppose to pay the umpires for a high school contest?

It is very common for a host site to be the one responsible for paying umpires in the playoffs. It all depends on how the using of a field is setup. I am currently waiting on a check from lufkin isd for playoff games played at lufkin involving two non lufkin teams

[quote name="GTBBaseball" post="806077" timestamp="1274934243"]
Thats interesting to learn that an NCAA Institution is accountable for High School Athletic Expenses.
I wonder why Lamar would be responsible for paying 3 umpires and not the respective schools who were involved.
Do I understand your post correctly, Lamar was suppose to pay the umpires for a high school contest?
[/quote]

Yes it was a turn key job and Lamar took in the gate and were to pay. They have paid us many times before but this time they did not and all we have received is a run around. Just all depends on what had been worked out but they had us turn in our paperwork to them.

Well, it seem if the same rules remain, that the coaches from Lamar have to be present, it would depend if they win or lose tonight. If they win, they would be in an NCAA regional somewhere...i.e. the coaches would not be available to manage the field for a playoff series.

I guess we have to see if Lamar wins tonight...and wait and see if BC and Orangefield can finish off thier series. I bit Robinson and Jasper will not go quietly. I bet both of the series go to a third game...gonna be late tonight before we know.

Looks like Lamar won big tonight...so that means they will be playing in a regional somewhere next weekend. With Orangfield wining early today it is a sure thing that the Regional Final in 3a will be in our area. I guess Nederland is probably the best option...or if Jasper wins it might be a Woodville, Nederland neutral site matchup

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami