Laird leads Nederland baseball to first in 20-4A

How good is the Beaumont Enterprise? NOT VERY GOOD at all. They cant even get the fact of the game straight.

Laird leads Nederland baseball to first in 20-4A
By RYAN S. CLARK
April 13, 2010
Posted: April 13, 2010, 9:59 PM CDT  

NEDERLAND 3, PN-G 1

It shouldn't come as a surprise that a left-handed pitcher made the difference in Nederland's 3-1 victory against Port Neches-Groves.

But the identity of the lefty might have surprised a few people. Nederland senior Cody Laird used seven strikeouts to help Nederland claim first place in District 20-4A. Laird has gone 8-0 in his first season as a starting pitcher.

Nederland is 8-1 as it looks to win its second straight 20-4A title. PN-G, which is 7-2, is third in the district behind Vidor.

Laird's role for Nederland has been important as the Bulldogs opened the season looking for a No. 2 starter after Josh Dean graduated last year. The role became even more important when Texas signee and fellow lefty Kirby Bellow returned to the team in March following surgery on his partially torn ACL.

[b]Laird kept the PN-G offense at bay and didn't give up a run until the sixth inning when Blake Reyenga hit a RBI single to drive in Austin Stone, cutting the lead to 3-1.[/b] It was Laird's last inning as Nederland brought in Bellow, who picked up the save.

[b]Bellow, who started at first base, scored the first run of the game when he came home off a Nick Cardenas double to center in the first.[/b] Nederland went up 2-0 in the third after Ryan Brady scored on an error and 3-0 when Tyler Smith scored on a walk in the fifth.

First off it was [b]Knox[/b] that scored the run off of Reyengas hit not [b]Stone[/b]. And [b]Bellows[/b] hit a homerun to score the first run for Nederland not a double hit by Cardenas.
Lets get the facts close before we start posting in the paper. Give these guys credit where credit is due.

Hey I put OF beat WOS 11-1 instead of 11-0 the other day. It happens, we hate when mistakes happen, but they do happen. It stinks in our line of work, 10,000 people read your mistake. We try our hardest to not make mistakes in our jobs but not a single person on this planet does not make mistakes.

Great game.

top 1
Nederland's SS Trevon Sonnier ties baseball record with 3 assists in the 1st inning.

bot 1
Reyenga hangs 1st pitch cb to Bellow, towering shot to RF. Nick Cardenas laces double to gap, stranded.

top 2
coach Brevil tells Deron, he has a great pick off, "I know coach , I play with him all summer". picked off.

bot 2
reyenga 3 up and 3 down

top 3
Laird hits Denzlinger, he wobbles to 2nd out on fc, sonnier another assit

bot 3
Sonnier singles, not a good jump and caught stealing. After brady and bellow singles , they sit at 1st and 3rd and reyenga uses laird's move and picks off bellow, they throw into lf , brady scores.

top 4
reyenga singles, knox to run, Stone to Knox " he will pick you off so go on 1st move' he steals. stranded.

bot 4
2 errors by png, no runs for the dogs.

top 5
after 2 k's, cardenas makes nice catch on provost

bot 5
with runners at 1st and 2nd no outs, coach robbins says we need another run, i'll bunt bellow's, he gets it down. reyenga loses his control, walks in a run and austin stone comes in and puts out the fire.

top 6
stone singles, down 3-0, coach stone says i can't get him picked off, i'll steal him on 1st pitch, stolen base. reyenga comes thru with rbi single. 3-1 dogs

bot 6
stone is bringing it, 1-2-3

top 7
Laird sprints to mound to close it out, after 2 quick outs gizzi singles, coach robbins slow walk to mound and it looked like he had to pry the ball away, bellow one pitch FO, of course to sonnier.

Dogs 3 Png 1

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="793345" timestamp="1271912861"]
[quote author=mustangsally link=topic=68617.msg793331#msg793331 date=1271910066]
Has Laird signed yet?
[/quote]
Not yet but I have heard he has some offers. He is a junior though. At least I think.... The rosters on here doesn't list it...
[/quote]

He's a senior. Has offers.. Takin his time making a decision.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder