Best High School Basketball game??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latter would get my vote.It was unreal.Also the 1-a first round state playoff game at the drum in 2007.I'll have to look at my program to get the teams but a inbound pass at midcourt was stolen and a layup made at the buzzer for a 1 point win.You talking about the full range of emotions.It was unreal.

The best and most exciting game that I have ever seen was the first year I attended the state tourney. It was the 1972 4A (which is now 5A) semi-final between Dallas Roosevelt and Houston Wheatley. Roosevelt defeated Wheatley 111-109 in regulation before a standing room only crowd there in Gregory Gym. I remember there were actually people that had crawled up on the roof of the gym to watch the game through the windows that were at the top. Incredible!!!!

Favorite game I ever saw was the 1976 regional final between Silsbee and Rockdale. Silsbee trailed by 20 at halftime but made a huge comeback in the second half and got a steal by Artie Shankle with 6 seconds left and he made the layup as time expired to win it for Silsbee and send them to Austin.

[quote name="whsalum" post="756510" timestamp="1265565022"]
The latter would get my vote.It was unreal.Also the 1-a first round state playoff game at the drum in 2007.I'll have to look at my program to get the teams but a inbound pass at midcourt was stolen and a layup made at the buzzer for a 1 point win.You talking about the full range of emotions.It was unreal.
[/quote]

Yea i remember that game it was the game before the HJ one....

Guest bleed orange
I don't remember the year. Connally Brown was a senior I believe for WOS. Yates beat WOS in 3 OT I believe. Yates went on and won the state championship that year. I want to say it was around 1985.

Haven't seen alot of HS BB games, but saw SFA and HJ battle at Lamar in '95 or '96 (not sure). HJ had Jason Throp (sp?) and Spears SFA had Tobias Deans and company. HJ won a barn burner with each team scoring over 100. Fun game to watch. Maybe you HJ fans can fill in the blanks on this one.

I seem to remember a playoff game between the Tigers and Bees ,  where the Tigers were trailing by a good margin fairly late in the game.  Lincoln fans were singing going crazy but the Tigers came back and won.  Also even with all the great Tiger-HJ games,  the best game I have a good memory of has to be the double OT regional semi game with Crockett a couple of years ago.  Crockett knotting the game up at the end of the first OT with an inbounds pass the length of the court for a tying shot from the free throw line with lless than 2 seconds left.

[quote name="ST413" post="756569" timestamp="1265571278"]
I seem to remember a playoff game between the Tigers and Bees ,  where the Tigers were trailing by a good margin fairly late in the game.  Lincoln fans were singing going crazy but the Tigers came back and won.  Also even with all the great Tiger-HJ games,  the bes game I have a good memory of has to be the double OT regional semi game with Crockett a couple of years ago.  Crockett knotting the game up at the end of the first OT with an inbounds pass the length of the court for a tying shot from the free throw line with lless than 2 seconds left.
[/quote]That was a great game.....Silsbee's defense came up big causing CKT's #5 (super guard)to turn the ball over with the trap at the end.

Liberty Hill @ Lake Travis 1992
Lake Travis won 102 to 100 in regulation. Liberty Hill lost in one of the 2A semi final games in Austin that year to Abernathy in overtime. Abernathy went on to win the championship.Lake Travis I believe lost the regional final that year. Liberty Hill had dropped down from 2A that year and had LT in district the two years before. LH had been a good 3A team having lost the 3A championship two years before to SA Cole with Shaq on that team.

It was a barn burner from the tip off to the last second. Over 2000 people at the game at it was wild. Two outstanding teams with two great coaches, just too bad one team had to loose!

[font=Courier]I've seen 100s of good ones....Was talking with Travis Williams on Saturday about Silsbee vs. Aldine in our HoopInsider Playoff Preview a few years ago at PN-G.

Aldine's Gary Johnson battled Sticks and it came down to a last second show, which Silsbee hit to win the game!

4A state final in 2008 when SOC beat FW Southeast 80-77 was a great game to watch as was the 5A 2007 5A final when Duncanville beat Kingwood 60-58 in OT. Kingwood's Wise shot a NBA 3 that went in and out of the cylinder at the buzzer.[/font]

[quote name="ST413" post="756569" timestamp="1265571278"]
Also even with all the great Tiger-HJ games,  the bes game I have a good memory of has to be the double OT regional semi game with Crockett a couple of years ago.  Crockett knotting the game up at the end of the first OT with an inbounds pass the length of the court for a tying shot from the free throw line with lless than 2 seconds left.
[/quote]That game was incredible!!  Walters mouth hit the floor when that kid made the running jump shot at the end of the OT period.

The 99 2A championship game between Peaster and Wellington was a classic. Peaster down three with less than a sec on the clock. Kid shooting three free throws. Makes all three and sends the game to OT. Peaster wins it in the overtime..............Did anyone see the Grapeland-Wellington semi game? Talk about a strange turn of events.....Grapeland up three with less than ten seconds. Grapeland steals the ball for a three on zero fast break. Lay it in and you win by five. Kid goes for a monster dunk (had several already) ball hits the back of the rim so hard it bounces almost to half court. Wellington player scoupes it up and heaves a half court shot. Ball kisses of the glass and into the bucket as the clock sounds.....game goes to OT. Not sure if Grapeland scored in the OT......felt sorry for the kid that missed the dunk. After the game he was spraulled out on the floor bawling....wanted to get down there with him..

As for memorable endings to a game, the one that sticks in my mind was the 1978 4A(now 5A) state championship between Houston Wheatley and San Antonio Fox Tech. This was the first year the state tourney moved into the Frank Erwin Center and there was 15,000 at this game. The ending was one the worst coaching decisions that I have ever seen.

Fox Tech led Wheatley 83-82 and Wheatley missed a game tying shot then fouled a Fox Tech player with 1 second left on the clock. Fox Tech was in the double bonus so the player went to the line to shoot two. BTW, Wheatley was out of timeouts. Fox Tech missed the first free throw and then the coach of Fox Tech instructed a couple of his players to line up on the lane for the second free throw attempt. Fox Tech missed the second free throw and then a Fox tech player went over the back of a Wheatley player, committing a foul as time expired. Wheatley went down and made both free throws with no time on the clock and won the state championship, 84-83.

To this day, I have yet to understand why the Fox Tech coach had his guys line up for the rebound on that free throw attempt. I will never understand it.

A lot of these games that have been mentioned in this thread I have personally witnessed myself.'08 3A state title game, Kennedale and Burkburnett, '95 Lincoln/Silsbee regional final, HJ/Silsbee '07 regional final, WOS/Yates 3OT game, Crockett/Silsbee 2008 regional semi-final, Aldine/Silsbee play off preview game with Johnson and "Sticks" Harris, '08 4A championship game between SOC and FW Southwest, '07 5A final between Duncanville and Kingwood, and the Peaster/Wellington '99 final, all great games that I also saw. But, none compare to that '72 game between Dallas Roosevelt and Houston Wheatley. Not even close.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="756598" timestamp="1265576526"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=65759.msg756590#msg756590 date=1265575202]
[font=Courier]Mike,

I can only take your word for the '72 game. I wasn't born yet....LOL.....OLD MAN[/font]
[/quote]

That hurt. :( ;D
[/quote]Wisdom comes with years...........its funny how vain we get with something thats gonna happen to all of us...lol

[quote name="TopDawG52" post="756636" timestamp="1265581835"]
[quote author=indian011 link=topic=65759.msg756585#msg756585 date=1265573659]
i would have to say the hj vs silsbee game i witnessed this year
[/quote]  your playing right.
[/quote]He has got to be playing if he is not it is that he has never seen any other high school games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder