District 18 4a

Elroy

[quote name="HUM398" post="755752" timestamp="1265415626"]
[quote author=Lightning/Eagle link=topic=65497.msg755700#msg755700 date=1265403148]

I believe you stated earlier you would pay 50 bucks for a New Caney School beating a Humble ISD school in their first season. It has happened before. Check out Kingwoods first year playing varsity. They lost to New Caney 41-0.

Smalls was not the best athlete his senior year. Two other players from that class played some college ball but he did not. Michael Miller and Jacob Powell. No doubt Smalls was a surprise as he wasn't even considered a starter to begin the year. The Dunlaps would not be considered the best athletes of their class either.
I do agree that next year Humble and Huntsville will start the season as the teams to beat in this district, but Humble is not what it once was either.
[/quote]

I meant now...Not in the early 80's.    New Caney hasn't always been so depleted athletically, but the growth of Kingwood really has hurt them. 

Smalls was a solid athlete, which to me was under used...I would of used him as a HS DE not a running back/ Linebacker... From what i understand he played a season at Texas State, but im not positive.   and the Dunlaps weren't the best athletes in their class...Who was?

as far as Humble not being what it once was, ill agree....We were split...Just like Humble wasn't the same Humble after Kingwood....We changed.   I believe that this Humble (the one that will no longer be split) will be a better one then in previous years...i believe that Humble will take a course very similar to North Shore and Westfield over the course of the next 10-15 years.  We are no longer considered rural, but Urban.....and if we can approach our programs like those two have (NS in 96 and Westfield in 02)...we will have stronger teams then we did in the 90's and early 2000's.

We have an opportunity to build our tradition on equal footing before we get moved back up to 5a...a chance to play on a level playing field instead of playing programs that have 300+ kids and have had a student enrollment of 3400 for 10 years now...

Humble is in a unique place in its history, we get a shot to rebuild ourselves.....and not start from behind.

After we split with Kingwood it took us 10 years to recover because we moved to the new class 5a...we would of been better off staying at 4a...but it didn't happen that way.   with the move down, we will be able to avoid the growing pains to a large degree and stay competitive...which is all i ask.
[/quote]

I agree Smalls would have been a good DE. As for the Dunlaps, if memory serves me I believe he graduated in the same class as Andrew Riddick. Andrew was a gifted athlete, just had a little too much attitude. Believe he was still playing college baseball last year. The younger Dunlap did not like to get hit, that is why he rarely ran the ball on offense, and he fumbled too much on kick returns.
Humble will definetely be competetive in 4A. I just don't see them being a power house. You also didn't give the New Caney Oline any love. They had a couple of all district Olinemen this past year in a district with The Woodlands and Lufkin. Jacob Powell was at Texas State for at least 1 year, I don't remember Smalls going there but he could have.

[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="755898" timestamp="1265428548"]
[quote author=HUM398 link=topic=65497.msg755752#msg755752 date=1265415626]
[quote author=Lightning/Eagle link=topic=65497.msg755700#msg755700 date=1265403148]

I believe you stated earlier you would pay 50 bucks for a New Caney School beating a Humble ISD school in their first season. It has happened before. Check out Kingwoods first year playing varsity. They lost to New Caney 41-0.

Smalls was not the best athlete his senior year. Two other players from that class played some college ball but he did not. Michael Miller and Jacob Powell. No doubt Smalls was a surprise as he wasn't even considered a starter to begin the year. The Dunlaps would not be considered the best athletes of their class either.
I do agree that next year Humble and Huntsville will start the season as the teams to beat in this district, but Humble is not what it once was either.
[/quote]

I meant now...Not in the early 80's.    New Caney hasn't always been so depleted athletically, but the growth of Kingwood really has hurt them. 

Smalls was a solid athlete, which to me was under used...I would of used him as a HS DE not a running back/ Linebacker... From what i understand he played a season at Texas State, but im not positive.   and the Dunlaps weren't the best athletes in their class...Who was?

as far as Humble not being what it once was, ill agree....We were split...Just like Humble wasn't the same Humble after Kingwood....We changed.   I believe that this Humble (the one that will no longer be split) will be a better one then in previous years...i believe that Humble will take a course very similar to North Shore and Westfield over the course of the next 10-15 years.  We are no longer considered rural, but Urban.....and if we can approach our programs like those two have (NS in 96 and Westfield in 02)...we will have stronger teams then we did in the 90's and early 2000's.

We have an opportunity to build our tradition on equal footing before we get moved back up to 5a...a chance to play on a level playing field instead of playing programs that have 300+ kids and have had a student enrollment of 3400 for 10 years now...

Humble is in a unique place in its history, we get a shot to rebuild ourselves.....and not start from behind.

After we split with Kingwood it took us 10 years to recover because we moved to the new class 5a...we would of been better off staying at 4a...but it didn't happen that way.   with the move down, we will be able to avoid the growing pains to a large degree and stay competitive...which is all i ask.
[/quote]

I agree Smalls would have been a good DE. As for the Dunlaps, if memory serves me I believe he graduated in the same class as Andrew Riddick. Andrew was a gifted athlete, just had a little too much attitude. Believe he was still playing college baseball last year. The younger Dunlap did not like to get hit, that is why he rarely ran the ball on offense, and he fumbled too much on kick returns.
Humble will definetely be competetive in 4A. I just don't see them being a power house. You also didn't give the New Caney Oline any love. They had a couple of all district Olinemen this past year in a district with The Woodlands and Lufkin. Jacob Powell was at Texas State for at least 1 year, I don't remember Smalls going there but he could have.
[/quote]

Smalls would of made a great DE, he had really good explosion and we was a big muscular guy...probably shock the hell out of most Tackles and TE's.....  CJ Dunlap always came across as a very good athlete with very poor development, the younger one was athletic just not a football player....

If you could, because i really am trying to wrap my brain around this...Why wouldn't Humble be able to be a Power House?  Not saying they will be, cause that is up to the coaching staff and the kids...what are some things that you see that hinder Humble from being a power house....

The New Caney O-line has never really impressed me...now ill admit, i only watched 1 new caney game this year...While previous years i usually make it out to at least 3 or 4....I saw them this year against Lufkin...and i just didn't see a whole lot on either side of the ball that really impressed me.  Especially 2008....My God those linemen were just fatties.

New Caney is going to be a better program in coming years...their best years are definitely in front of them...i can see New Caney being a 5a team again and being much more competitive in about 10 years.... They are going to get the right type of growth...the one that brings in the money and the talent...That Amusement park is the best thing that could of ever happened to New Caney, Splendora and Cleveland....the reason why New Caney has struggled so much is due to regeneration...They live in a very rural area that is kind of situated in the middle of no where with no major job opportunities...so when you have kids go through school, new families are moving in...The Families usually stay...get a whole street named after them, and live their tell they die....

With the business moving in...They will become the new Woodlands area for Houston....just not yet.

Guess I should maybe re-phrase, I don't see them being a power house in the next couple of years. More than one thing hurting them. They do not play any real stiff competetion in pre-district or district. They will most likely go through the regular season at 10-0 or 9-1. By the area round they will face someone who has been battle tested. I also think the split has really taken away alot of their athletes. They will some above average starters but they will not have as much depth as you have seen at Humble in years past. Any idea why didn't they schedule Kingwood in a pre-district game? I think Huntsville wins the district next year. I don't know all of their predistrict schedule but believe they play Brenham.

[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="756222" timestamp="1265492109"]
Guess I should maybe re-phrase, I don't see them being a power house in the next couple of years. More than one thing hurting them. They do not play any real stiff competetion in pre-district or district. They will most likely go through the regular season at 10-0 or 9-1. By the area round they will face someone who has been battle tested. I also think the split has really taken away alot of their athletes. They will some above average starters but they will not have as much depth as you have seen at Humble in years past. Any idea why didn't they schedule Kingwood in a pre-district game? I think Huntsville wins the district next year. I don't know all of their predistrict schedule but believe they play Brenham.
[/quote]

That's fair, it ill just have to be something Humble proves this season.  The depth has definitely been hurt, but we have about 5-6 Divison 1 players on this varsity team right now.....Id say that we are pretty loaded with above average players.

as far as not scheduling Kingwood....The rivarly doesn't mean as much as it used to.  The Kids don't even really view it as a rivalry anymore...the two worlds are so different.  Atascocita is more of a rival, but barely.  The gets get more excited about playing the likes of Aldine HS then Kingwood.

NC had a good O-line back in the Mid 90's.  The Line used to be the solid thing that NC had year in and year out, more than skill kids, but that has died out for some reason.  The younger Dunlap is no where close to the athlete that CJ was.  The sophomore team did well this year (8-2), the freshman did good, and White Oak's (feeds Porter) teams did very good as well. 

[quote name="jamesdean" post="756879" timestamp="1265648615"]
I heard Week 4, first district game, Porter at NC
[/quote]

Yeah...everyone is calling this match-up "The Hatfields vs. the McCoys."  The half time show will feature the banjo player from the movie Deliverance. JK ;D

[quote name="playa" post="756859" timestamp="1265646061"]
NC had a good O-line back in the Mid 90's.  The Line used to be the solid thing that NC had year in and year out, more than skill kids, but that has died out for some reason.  The younger Dunlap is no where close to the athlete that CJ was.  The sophomore team did well this year (8-2), the freshman did good, and White Oak's (feeds Porter) teams did very good as well. 
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong...New Caney has had some kids come through that could ball, but for the most part...They have severly lacked in
A. Coaching
B. Well balanced Talent.

Their failure to win games is a direct reflection on coaching.  It seems to me that ever coach that comes New Caney's way doesn't account for the type of talent he has...For instance, this past coach...He decided to run a Spread offense...Well, i went to the spring scrimmage his first year...

I never translate the success of the underclassmen with success in the future.  Reason being is that their is a large amount of attrition that goes on between 10th and 12 grade... If you have a incoming class of 100....by the time their seniors you'll have 40 from that class...hard to gauge how well they do...and yes, sometimes you lose a couple of good ones.

Not to mention, the Varsity game is so much more complex. 

We will see how New Caney does, What do you think happens?  Where does Porter or New Caney fall into the district ranks?

[quote name="playa" post="756939" timestamp="1265653971"]
I think Porter will beat NC and CC.  Beyond that, I dont have a clue. 
[/quote]

Really the first year program beats two established programs?

I guess it is certainly possible...

Caney Creek is pretty bad, so ill give you that... But a New Caney team with Seniors?

What does New Caney look like this year?  Players returning, key players?

What about Porter, any studs?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder