Guest GCMPats
[quote name="Diamond-J" post="752024" timestamp="1264858888"]
I believe Ploch has been offered by Lamar
[/quote]

[size=12pt]Football lifts Dayton player to college[/size]
By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published January 30, 2010
DAYTON — Payton Ploch would rather ride on his skateboard than play football and he never considered going to college.

Until ...

His dad, Richard Ploch, a big equipment mechanic, died in his sleep of heart failure two years ago and Payton’s life changed.

“My dad and I were not extremely close,” the Dayton High senior said earlier this week.

“I’m a quiet person and he was, too. We weren’t together talking all the time. We didn’t spend a lot of time together. He was always working, because of money issues.

“But we bonded together a lot.”

When he was 15, the dream for Ploch (his name rhymes with woe) was of working side by side with his dad.

“Before my dad passed, I was just going to graduate high school, not go to college, just work with him. I’d use him to get my foot in the door,” said Ploch.

“When I lost him, I kind of felt hopeless.”

Shortly after his dad died, the youngster moved in with an aunt and things took an upward turn.

“I talked to a lot of people who said that after a loss like that, people get attracted to things, they get on drugs, become an alcoholic, or become a workaholic,” Payton said.

“My escape was playing football and coach Stewart (Dayton head coach Jerry Stewart) told me if I worked hard I could get a scholarship to college.

“I started working out hard.”

Ploch has grown to be 6 feet, 1 inch tall and 205 pounds.

Even though his team didn’t win district last fall, he was voted MVP of District 19-4A. And that vote was before he led Dayton to the fourth round of the state playoffs, playing quarterback, receiver and running back for the Broncos.

Since then, Ploch has been recruited by Colorado, the University of New Mexico, Texas State and Lamar University, which is restarting its football program next fall.

He was scheduled to visit Texas State’s San Marcos campus this weekend after a trip to New Mexico last week. Stewart expects that Ploch will sign with one of his suitors Wednesday, which is National Signing Day for college football programs.

“Most colleges are recruiting me as an ‘athlete’ because they can play me anywhere – quarterback, receiver, safety,” said the athlete who runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash.

One of the spots he likes to play most is on special teams, either as a kick returner or covering kicks. He likes the action.

“Definitely. I like to set the tempo for the team,” he said. “I’m either trying to return a kick or hit someone on a kickoff and stop them early.”

Ploch was always in the middle of the action for Dayton. He passed for 770 yards and 12 touchdowns, led his team with 1,258 yards and 21 TDs rushing, and caught 31 passes for 452 yards and four more scores.

“I’d definitely say I was in the center of the action,” he said. “I always got moved around a lot, wherever they needed me for a certain game.

“Before high school, I definitely didn’t expect this. I never thought I’d be a star player.”

And now he’s getting the star treatment from colleges.

“I feel like it’s a real accomplishment,” Ploch said. “Years ago, I thought I’d never go to college. I wouldn’t be able to afford it. But now I can get my college paid for.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote name="buckin bronco 09" post="752308" timestamp="1264899395"]
ok, colby cook, and darrian wright are gettin looked at by sfa. Chance mccormack is looking at blinn ploch more than likely texas state, chris ball point young is undecided. Those are the only people that i knw of dude
[/quote]

I can't believe colby cook has turned out to be that good of a football player. He was a sub-par junior varsity WR when he was at Humble (his junior year).

Congrads to all the Broncos going to play and learn in their next chapter of their life.Far as football talent Coach Stewart and staff have a knack for uncovering gems that shine under the light when polished up a bit.Again in 2010 you'll see some hopefuls transformed into gems that are willing to work hard and be taught.

[quote name="buckin bronco 09" post="753508" timestamp="1265083631"]
[quote author=WTB link=topic=65361.msg752710#msg752710 date=1265035524]
How did you kinda hook Colby up with SFA?
[/quote]
told them about him. they had no clue who he was then i told them they watched his film and now want him. that is how i hooked him up haas
[/quote]

Hey buckin bronco, how many of your former Bronco team mates participate in the powerlifting program/meets you spoke of in an earlier post? I am just curious to see how many of Dayton's athletes are involved in powerlifting?

Any of you Dayton fans/players, feel free to respond.

[quote name="UgotTRUCKED" post="757132" timestamp="1265678216"]
[quote author=buckin bronco 09 link=topic=65361.msg753508#msg753508 date=1265083631]
[/quote]
told them about him. they had no clue who he was then i told them they watched his film and now want him. that is how i hooked him up haas
[/quote]

Hey buckin bronco, how many of your former Bronco team mates participate in the powerlifting program/meets you spoke of in an earlier post? I am just curious to see how many of Dayton's athletes are involved in powerlifting?

[/quote]

every lineman and linebacker has to do powerlifting umm not to sure about the skill positions though.

[quote name="buckin bronco 09" post="757792" timestamp="1265774891"]
[quote author=UgotTRUCKED link=topic=65361.msg757132#msg757132 date=1265678216]
[quote author=buckin bronco 09 link=topic=65361.msg753508#msg753508 date=1265083631]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

every lineman and linebacker has to do powerlifting umm not to sure about the skill positions though.
[/quote]

Well it looks like it pays dividends for your team with the success you guys are having.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder