Two sport athletes

How long does it take to get football kids in a basketball rhythm?  How much of an advantage does the non-football or few football teams have.

I think there is a definite advantage.  Football kids rarely have a chance to rest there bodies after season.  They start the day after football ends and have to go right into another season.  Sure it is done year after year by most but can you imagine the fatigue?  Basketball conditioning is alot different from football not to mention the pounding a kid that plays in the backfield would take.

[quote name="backdoorcuts" post="749803" timestamp="1264532857"]
How long does it take to get football kids in a basketball rhythm?  How much of an advantage does the non-football or few football teams have.

I think there is a definite advantage.  Football kids rarely have a chance to rest there bodies after season.  They start the day after football ends and have to go right into another season.  Sure it is done year after year by most but can you imagine the fatigue?  Basketball conditioning is alot different from football not to mention the pounding a kid that plays in the backfield would take.
[/quote]

Yes, the fatigue is there the first few weeks for those football players switching over, considering I did it myself a few years. However, you do get into rhythm after a few weeks or so. But I think just the fact that you switched from a contact sport to more of an endurance and quick sport allows the body to heal the injuries from contact, but then theres a toll taken on your legs and core from all the running. And if you're a good basketball player to begin with and played since you were little, the rhythm to get back into basketball should not take too long. Thats why at the beginning of basketball seasons you see the good basketball players that started the year before, start off on the bench the first few weeks of the beginning.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="HJ-Hawks25" post="749876" timestamp="1264538601"]
[quote author=backdoorcuts link=topic=65226.msg749803#msg749803 date=1264532857]

[/quote]

Yes, the fatigue is there the first few weeks for those football players switching over, considering I did it myself a few years. However, you do get into rhythm after a few weeks or so. But I think just the fact that you switched from a contact sport to more of an endurance and quick sport allows the body to heal the injuries from contact, but then theres a toll taken on your legs and core from all the running. And if you're a good basketball player to begin with and played since you were little, the rhythm to get back into basketball should not take too long. Thats why at the beginning of basketball seasons you see the good basketball players that started the year before, start off on the bench the first few weeks of the beginning.
[/quote]

The problem that I always had was shin-splints.  I guess caused by coming off of the football turf to the hardwood floor.  They ususally set in after about the first week on the basketball court.  Not a serious condition, but painful none the less and it affected your concentration - like you got your mind on your shins feeling like they are splitting rather than on the intricies of the game at hand.

[quote name="backdoorcuts" post="749803" timestamp="1264532857"]

[/quote]And don't forget about track afterwards.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="749916" timestamp="1264540761"]
[quote author=backdoorcuts link=topic=65226.msg749803#msg749803 date=1264532857]

[/quote]Or Baseball.....

I mean, it takes weeks for your metabolism to slow down enough to sit in the outfield waiting for a fly ball!

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="749924" timestamp="1264540970"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65226.msg749916#msg749916 date=1264540761]

[/quote]Or Baseball.....

I mean, it takes weeks for your metabolism to slow down enough to sit in the outfield waiting for a fly ball!
[/quote]hahahahhahahahaha!

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="749924" timestamp="1264540970"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65226.msg749916#msg749916 date=1264540761]

[/quote]Or Baseball.....

[/quote]Classic one liner, especially with all the baseball lovers in the area :D

My biggest problem was going from offseason football practice as a QB and then straight to baseball practice as a ss. I would arrive at bball practice, coaches would watch me sail 5-6 throws into the parking lot before I got my throwing mechanics into baseball mode.  It actually got to be kinda funny as it turned into a very well known ritual that we all enjoyed at practice each day.

Those were the days.  ;)

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="750568" timestamp="1264632344"]
My biggest problem was going from offseason football practice as a QB and then straight to baseball practice as a ss. I would arrive at bball practice, coaches would watch me sail 5-6 throws into the parking lot before I got my throwing mechanics into baseball mode.  It actually got to be kinda funny as it turned into a very well known ritual that we all enjoyed at practice each day.

Those were the days.  ;)
[/quote]baseball is different mechanics. Only takes an hour to get your rhythm back from. Ss to fb. Basketball takes about 2 weeks to get into shape....rhythm, conditioning, etc.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin