2011 Competitive Club Team to Qualify for the Junior Olympics

TheBoss.

I like this idea....I know some kids that would want to tryout....These kids are also wanting to tryout in Houston for this next year, and those tryouts are usually in July.  There is alot of talent in the Golden Triangle, would be fun to put something together and be able to work it around their other school sports.....This would be AWESOME.....

• 1 month later...
I'm a young coach about to move back to close to home (originally from Vidor), and this is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear from people in southeast Texas.  I have coached volleyball the past 2 years in Lake Charles at Barbe High School and for Lake Area Elite, a club here in town.  I just got a job teaching at West Brook High School (coaching is still up in the air), but I want so bad to coach in a good club.  What I think it would take is for all the club programs in the area (Hardin County Juniors, Jefferson County Juniors, Orange County Juniors, PBX, Spindletop, Tri-City Heat) to get together and make one big club.  In my opinion, all of these clubs are actually hurting the volleyball game in the area because the girls are not getting to play with their level of ability.  The mixture of talent levels slows the development of the girls.  The best should play with the best so they can improve at the pace of which they are capable, and then the next best group, etc.  That is how the better clubs do things, and they have tons of teams and tons of talent.  Coaches just have to stop focusing on their high school team, and focus more on volleyball in setx as a whole.  There could easily be a Southeast Texas Volleyball Association in the area much like Galveston has their GCVA.  Anyone who agrees with me or would like to talk more please reply or email.

• 2 weeks later...
What you are proposing, while it may be a good idea, probably won't happen.  There are to many club directors and coaches that want to have the best team.  There would probably be a power struggle.  The way I've seen this work in the past is to start a new club, then personally invite the top players to join.  If you can get some committments from a few elite level players, then the others will sometimes follow just to have the opportunity to play with these other girls.  Then you have other headaches, the personal agendas of every parent on the team.  This is a much bigger problem than the girls.

A facility is much in need for something like this to happen.  Does anyone have any ideas or know of anyone that might be interested in donating to the cause.  I think the last time i checked it would cost maybe 3 million, lol - but that would be a facliity to play both basketball and volleyball and you'd just split the days, like MWF vball and the other days would be bball and or tournaments on the weekend.  Even if a high school coach wouldn't mind helping out, it's alot of work on them to accomplish this task, organizing gym time, insurance, waivers, open and close gym - just alot to ask of a high school coach.  But if anyone has any ideas please talk about it on here.

I totally agree with the tryout, players need to be playing with their level of play, it's the only way to get better in any sport.  This sport is no different from any other select team, if your child wants to play then the parents will do everything in their power to make it happen.  Lets get this going!!!!!!!

It can work. You just need to coaches to start seeing the big picture andnot just their team. These kind of things take a lot of politicking. People have to be swayed away from their small vision to see the large one. Southeast Texas will never consistently compete with bigger city volleyball until people realize this. Its hard to take a high school team with a few small club players and beat out a Houston team where the entire starting lineup plays for a big club. Enough said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder