Lamar State-PA players are ranked nationally and regionally

Lamar State College-Port Arthur basketball players are making their mark nationally and in their conference in the most recent statistics through January 4.

* Sophomore forward Ahyaro Phillips is No. 5 in the nation in rebounding and No. 7 in blocked shots.

* Lamar State is No. 11 in the nation in scoring average (90.58 ppg).

* Seahawk players are in the Top 10 of all eight categories of Region XIV statistics through Jan. 4.

– Ahyaro Phillips is the No. 1 rebounder (12.5 rpg) and shot blocker (48 total, 4.8 bpg). He is second in field goal percentage (61.7).

– Keenan Coleman is the leader in three-point shot percentage (53.7).

–Von Jones is second in assists, while Demetrius Ford is sixth. Jones also is second in steals.

– Nick Walters is fifth in three-point shooting.

– Kavon Rose is sixth in free-throw percentage.

Several of the current Seahawks have the potential to move on to D-I schools.

Sophomore power forward Ahyaro Phillips already has drawn interest from D-I coaches. Several were out to see him play in New Orleans on Dec. 12. That's not surprising because he already played a season at the University of Nevada-Reno before being released and transferring to Lamar State.

Sophomore guard Kavon Rose also is recognized as D-I talent. He originally signed with Oregon, but asked for a release after the coach who recruited him was fired. Rose played his freshman season at Texas Christian University, where he appeared in 16 games for the Horned Frogs.

Kentucky was interested in Keenan Coleman, and Von Jones was rated the top guard in Michigan during his senior year in high school.

These four players and several others have the talent to play at the D-I level.

It's a little early in the season to see what's in the future. However, Region XIV is considered to be the top junior college conference in the nation. So, if a player puts up good numbers, there is a reasonable chance that he could more on to D-I or another level of four-year school competition, where he can play basketball and complete a degree.

Walters was an 1st team all-district player during his high school years. Now, he's learning to be more of a role player.

LSC-PA head coach Matt Cross doesn't start the same five players each game, and Walters was in the starting lineup three times during the first 12 games. Walters is averaging 15.6 minutes per game and 4.3 points per game.

He was sick with pneumonia over the holiday break and missed the last two games.

Whether Walters starts or comes off the bench, he provides tough defense and accurate shooting at critical times.

He currently is fifth in Region XIV for 3-point shooting average (41.7 percent).

Cross likes Walters' work ethic and attitude. Here's what the coach said when the team took their holiday break:

“Nick played an integral role in the success of our team so far this year. He has outstanding character and brings a great attitude to the gym every day,” Cross said. “Nick has a tremendous passion for the game of basketball and a desire to get better by demonstrating a day-to-day work ethic that is second to none.”

Walters often is the first player in the gym and the last to leave, Cross said.

“That’s the kind of determined attitude that is an example for other players,” Cross said. “Coach Williams and his staff at Silsbee did a terrific job of preparing Nick for playing at the next level.”

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder