4th Place?

smitty

[quote name="jimbob82" post="740136" timestamp="1262909823"]
This gets brought up every year.  And it seems that some people just don't get it.  The bottom line is, it is about the KIDS.  The more kids involved the better, and its not just about the football team, you have the drill team, band, cheerleaders,etc,etc, and etc.  And if a fourth place team ever wins a state title, by god they deserve it.  Now I have said my peace. Later..... :) :)
[/quote]

Well said jimbob82.  It's about the KIDS and they should ALL get to experience the
playoffs! 

Guest ~old_wildcat~
This thread has gone beyond ridiculous..All the do gooders wanting little Johnny to be in the playoffs whether he deserves to be or not is really teaching him good work ethics...all it's teaching him is what he has learned already about life..CRY long enough,and loud enough and someone will give it to you..JMO

The UIL made the decision to add a 4th team.  If a team's record is better than the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th team in district, then by rule, the team has earned the right to advance to the playoffs, nothing was given to Little Johnny because by UIL rules, his team qualified.  Again, how does having 4 teams qualify for the playoffs take anything away from the district winner?  They won district by beating playoff bound/non-playoff bound teams and get the number one seed regardless of how many other teams go.
Number of teams going in no way takes the luster off a district championship.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Tim Riggins" post="740939" timestamp="1262984114"]
The UIL made the decision to add a 4th team.   If a team's record is better than the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th team in district, then by rule, the team has earned the right to advance to the playoffs, nothing was given to Little Johnny because by UIL rules, his team qualified.   Again, how does having 4 teams qualify for the playoffs take anything away from the district winner?   They won district by beating playoff bound/non-playoff bound teams and get the number one seed regardless of how many other teams go.
[/quote]

:D

Without earning it?  Interesting!

[quote name="DogOne" post="740464" timestamp="1262928110"]
[quote author=jimbob82 link=topic=64207.msg740136#msg740136 date=1262909823]
This gets brought up every year.  And it seems that some people just don't get it.  The bottom line is, it is about the KIDS.  The more kids involved the better, and its not just about the football team, you have the drill team, band, cheerleaders,etc,etc, and etc.  And if a fourth place team ever wins a state title, by god they deserve it.  Now I have said my peace. Later..... :) :)
[/quote]

Well said jimbob82.  It's about the KIDS and they should ALL get to experience the
playoffs! 
[/quote]

It doesn't make the district championship a joke, it makes what the playoffs are supposed to be about a joke.

[quote name="Tim Riggins" post="740939" timestamp="1262984114"]
The UIL made the decision to add a 4th team.   If a team's record is better than the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th team in district, then by rule, the team has earned the right to advance to the playoffs, nothing was given to Little Johnny because by UIL rules, his team qualified.   Again, how does having 4 teams qualify for the playoffs take anything away from the district winner?   They won district by beating playoff bound/non-playoff bound teams and get the number one seed regardless of how many other teams go.
[/quote]

Things do change, and it is the 21st century... it does not make the playoff "tournament" a joke because there are more teams in it.  The best team still won state in all classifications.  I attended several very, very good ballgames where the participants were not the district winner.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="SteelerCzy" post="737758" timestamp="1262530375"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=64207.msg737631#msg737631 date=1262483421]
The playoffs are/were meant to be a reward for a job well done.  A 3-7 team is not, to me, an accomplished season.  But, a 4th taking out a 1st, well, I'm sure that happens a very, very few times.
But if it doesn't hurt anything, why not let them all go?  Why stop at 4?  Like I said, it used to mean something, now it's just a joke. 

[quote author=Bobcat05 link=topic=64207.msg737506#msg737506 date=1262458321]
What doe it really hurt? What if it's a strong district, and the 4th place can take out the first place in another distirct? Shouldn't they get a chance at the playoffs?  I'm from a 3A school..so it doesn't affect me...I'm just wondering.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Good post, I totally agree.  The playoffs are a reward not a hand out.
[/quote]

I agree with u guys, 2 or 3 teams.  When you get to 4, atleast half the district has made it.  That's not much of a reward.  Unfortunatly I don't think it's changing any time soon.  I hope I'm wrong, but I guess only time will tell. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder