4th Place?

smitty

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="smitty" post="735478" timestamp="1262015503"]
Any 4th place finishers in district make it to or won a State Championship?
[/quote]

???  :D  :D

[quote name="smitty" post="736133" timestamp="1262123595"]
Talking about this year, my friend.  You have an answer to the actual question?

[quote author=Stranger link=topic=64207.msg736121#msg736121 date=1262121730]
Last year Sulphur Springs was a 4th place team and ask Dayton how they did.
[/quote]
[/quote]

How about saying "this year" in your original question then?  What a novel idea.

OK, this year.  Now what is your answer?

[quote name="Stranger" post="736651" timestamp="1262215947"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=64207.msg736133#msg736133 date=1262123595]
Talking about this year, my friend.  You have an answer to the actual question?

[quote author=Stranger link=topic=64207.msg736121#msg736121 date=1262121730]
Last year Sulphur Springs was a 4th place team and ask Dayton how they did.
[/quote]
[/quote]

How about saying "this year" in your original question then?  What a novel idea.
[/quote]

I would really like to do a study of how well all 4th place teams did in the playoffs this year.  Then send the results to the UIL and see what they have to say.  Also, I would ask them why they insisted on an inclusion of a 4th team in general and why was it important to make the once great playoff system a joke.  Curious to what their response would be.

What doe it really hurt? What if it's a strong district, and the 4th place can take out the first place in another distirct? Shouldn't they get a chance at the playoffs?  I'm from a 3A school..so it doesn't affect me...I'm just wondering.

The playoffs are/were meant to be a reward for a job well done.  A 3-7 team is not, to me, an accomplished season.  But, a 4th taking out a 1st, well, I'm sure that happens a very, very few times.
But if it doesn't hurt anything, why not let them all go?  Why stop at 4?  Like I said, it used to mean something, now it's just a joke. 

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="737506" timestamp="1262458321"]
What doe it really hurt? What if it's a strong district, and the 4th place can take out the first place in another distirct? Shouldn't they get a chance at the playoffs?  I'm from a 3A school..so it doesn't affect me...I'm just wondering.
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="737631" timestamp="1262483421"]
The playoffs are/were meant to be a reward for a job well done.  A 3-7 team is not, to me, an accomplished season.  But, a 4th taking out a 1st, well, I'm sure that happens a very, very few times.
But if it doesn't hurt anything, why not let them all go?  Why stop at 4?  Like I said, it used to mean something, now it's just a joke. 

[quote author=Bobcat05 link=topic=64207.msg737506#msg737506 date=1262458321]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Good post, I totally agree.  The playoffs are a reward not a hand out.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="smitty" post="737631" timestamp="1262483421"]

[quote author=Bobcat05 link=topic=64207.msg737506#msg737506 date=1262458321]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good Post Smitty...Karma +1

As was stated earlier, qualifying for the playoffs in Texas high school football used to be an accomplishment.  But not any longer.  So IMHO, if you're going to let the mediocre teams in, you might as well let everyone in.  Seriously, why not? 

I don't have a problem with 4 teams qualifying, especially in an 8 or 10 team district.  In a 6 team district, it may be a bit questionable.  Another team gets to experience the playoffs and if they aren't that good, they go out early and the team that beats them moves on with another W on the record.  In 19 and 204A this year, GCM, Barber's Hill, Vidor and Nederland all went out in the first round, but you can bet they had rather have  been playing that 11th game than staying home.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="DogOne" post="739196" timestamp="1262754342"]
Every team would rather play that 11th game.  So why stop at four teams?  Let 'em all in.  It would only take one more week of games.
[/quote]

Yep I guess we could just declare every team district champion,and go on to the play-offs...or better still do away with district and let them all go into the play-offs at the start of the season... ;D :D

People griped when the second place team made the playoffs, then the third place team.  I think the UIL will stop at four teams.  State championships have been won by second and third place teams.  Will a 4th place team win a championship?, doubtful, but only time will tell.  ( The NFL added a wild card team, then a second wild card team in each conference.  The NCAA's March Madness lets 64 teams into the tournament. The BCS added at large teams. Even staid old Major League Baseball has broken into divisions and has a wild card team from each league.)
I don't think a district championship is diminished by having 3 other teams qualify.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Tim Riggins" post="739438" timestamp="1262807338"]
People griped when the second place team made the playoffs, then the third place team.  I think the UIL will stop at four teams.  State championships have been won by second and third place teams.  Will a 4th place team win a championship?, doubtful, but only time will tell.  ( The NFL added a wild card team, then a second wild card team in each conference.   The NCAA's March Madness lets 64 teams into the tournament. The BCS added at large teams. Even staid old Major League Baseball has broken into divisions and has a wild card team from each league.)
I don't think a district championship is diminished by having 3 other teams qualify.
[/quote]

In the State of Texas UIL play-off system adding the 4th slot to the play-offs just serves to balance out the brackets.  I don't think you will very often be seeing a fourth place team win a regional title.  Can't say never because . . . well you know the because.  JMO

This gets brought up every year.  And it seems that some people just don't get it.  The bottom line is, it is about the KIDS.  The more kids involved the better, and its not just about the football team, you have the drill team, band, cheerleaders,etc,etc, and etc.  And if a fourth place team ever wins a state title, by god they deserve it.  Now I have said my peace. Later..... :) :)

Jimbob82, Well said! In addition to keeping the kids active, it keeps the kids motivated to keep working hard during the season when all seems lost.  Take this year's Nederland team for example...  it would have been easy for the players and coaches to pack it in early instead of learning from the adversity presented to them...  they will take that experience with them forever!

Then why not make a total farce out of it and let all the teams go.  This way the team that is 0-10, their players, band, students can feel good about themselves also. 

[quote name="jimbob82" post="740136" timestamp="1262909823"]
This gets brought up every year.  And it seems that some people just don't get it.  The bottom line is, it is about the KIDS.  The more kids involved the better, and its not just about the football team, you have the drill team, band, cheerleaders,etc,etc, and etc.  And if a fourth place team ever wins a state title, by god they deserve it.  Now I have said my peace. Later..... :) :)
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder