teams that run the spread

DC4LIFE

First, you would probably need to define what you call success. Do you mean made deep playoff runs, averaged so many points per game or what.  I saw Barbers Hill play and not sure I would call the zone read successful, but it had its moments and that is the case with every team that runs it without so called athletes. 

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="DC4LIFE" post="731689" timestamp="1261001817"]
Looking for teams that run the spread offense with the zone read that didn’t just have athletes and were successful. Who are these teams I would like know. ???
[/quote]

I would say that if you did not have the athletes, you were not successful at running any type of offense. Schemes can only do so much.

Friendswood is a great example. They consistently make the playoffs and have had some deep runs, while having only a couple of really good players. The rest of the team has been average athlete wise. Coach Van Meter was one of the first Houston area High school coaches to really develop the spread. He was trying to figure out a way to compete with La Marque and Texas City without the plethora of athletes those schools seemed to pump out every year.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="fatdaddy" post="732083" timestamp="1261061601"]
Friendswood is a great example. They consistently make the playoffs and have had some deep runs, while having only a couple of really good players. The rest of the team has been average athlete wise. Coach Van Meter was one of the first Houston area High school coaches to really develop the spread. He was trying to figure out a way to compete with La Marque and Texas City without the plethora of athletes those schools seemed to pump out every year.
[/quote]

You have to have skill players to run the spread. You can get away with average or below average linemen because of the blocking schemes. But you'd better have a decent QB and some receivers.

i'd have to say the 2007 version of the broncos defined the word spread with gregory charles at quarterback and a host of talented receivers to throw to. that team averaged almost 500 yards of offense a game and almost 50 point average. that's what i call a potent spread offense. the 2008 team had a moderate version but was not as potent. but still lethel. we'll be back to it soon. can't wait.  ;D ;D ;D ::) ps. cody and a.j. was potent enough. "GO BRONCOS"

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="731886" timestamp="1261017278"]
[quote author=BarbersHillEagle link=topic=63890.msg731718#msg731718 date=1261004225]
Barbers Hill......
[/quote]
If they were successful (which I think they were), why then are they getting rid of their coach???
[/quote]
I would call them successful also. They were much better than their record. I know its either a "w" or "L" but they were a few points away from having a much better record. Thay lost some tight ones. As far as why they would get rid of their coach, I won't touch. Don't know much about the situation. A lot of folks said because we won district two years ago we had no reason to replace Burnett. Well enough said.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="736007" timestamp="1262108590"]
I'm looking for SFA85 to back me up on this but....I hate spread Offense!  Real football is played from under center in the I formation or pro sets.  ;D ;D
[/quote]
Double wing, Wishbone, Power I, V-formation, Pro formation, Wild Cat.......and yesssss the [b]spread[/b]....it's all football

[quote name="rmac" post="733986" timestamp="1261430131"]
Did any of you notice that in the 5A finals 3 of the 4 teams base offense was the I formation.  I am not sure what relavance that is, but found it interesting.
[/quote]
And 3 of the 4 teams in the 4A finals base offense was the Spread (Lake Travis, Aledo, Brenham).

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="736007" timestamp="1262108590"]
I'm looking for SFA85 to back me up on this but....I hate spread Offense!  Real football is played from under center in the I formation or pro sets.  ;D ;D
[/quote]

Amem Soulja.  Funny how the Navy and the AFA beat 2 spread teams like a drum Thursday.  All I need is Georgia Tech to beat Iowa and there maybe a sutle shift back to I-option or the pure Wishbone.  The spread only creates QB who throw for a ton of yards but take 5 years to adapt to the NFL.  It also makes for some soft offensive linemen....

[quote name="hookem14" post="736021" timestamp="1262110289"]
I guess real golf is played with wooden clubs?
Things change
[/quote]
funny....most people who dont like the spread  think you cant have a power run game from 4 wide  ...getting into the shotgun does not automatically make you a "spread" offense...its just another way to run your offense...

[quote name="fanofthegame7" post="737411" timestamp="1262402321"]funny....most people who dont like the spread  think you cant have a power run game from 4 wide   ...getting into the shotgun does not automatically make you a "spread" offense...its just another way to run your offense...
[/quote]
Yea, PNG ran the spread this year...Ask anyone who played them if they were a "finnese" or "sissy ball" team. Don't remember too many negative rushing plays this year!

[quote name="SFA85" post="737279" timestamp="1262376948"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=63890.msg736007#msg736007 date=1262108590]
[/quote]

Amem Soulja.  Funny how the Navy and the AFA beat 2 spread teams like a drum Thursday.  All I need is Georgia Tech to beat Iowa and there maybe a sutle shift back to I-option or the pure Wishbone.  [b]The spread only creates QB who throw for a ton of yards[/b] but take 5 years to adapt to the NFL.  It also makes for some [b]soft offensive linemen....[/b][/quote]

Actually, the spread is more effective with an athletic, double threat QB. The adaptation to the NFL is on the coaches and what they are willing to let their QB do.

The second statement....I just don't believe that at all. If a lineman is soft, he always was.

[quote name="baddog" post="737636" timestamp="1262483917"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=63890.msg737279#msg737279 date=1262376948]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=63890.msg736007#msg736007 date=1262108590]
[/quote]

Amem Soulja.  Funny how the Navy and the AFA beat 2 spread teams like a drum Thursday.  All I need is Georgia Tech to beat Iowa and there maybe a sutle shift back to I-option or the pure Wishbone.  [b]The spread only creates QB who throw for a ton of yards[/b] but take 5 years to adapt to the NFL.  It also makes for some [b]soft offensive linemen....[/b][/quote]

Actually, the spread is more effective with an athletic, double threat QB. The adaptation to the NFL is on the coaches and what they are willing to let their QB do.

The second statement....I just don't believe that at all. If a lineman is soft, he always was.
[/quote]

Soft in the sense of a spread team punching it in from inside the 5 yard line.  I remember a article on Central when they went from the shotgun to the wishbone and the 1 thing the coaches found hard was to make the kids stay low when firing off from a 3 point stance.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83