Astro's Moves Needed

Like to see the Astros make some moves:

Re-Sign [i][b]Valverde[/b][/i] and [i][b]Tejada[/b][/i]

Go get [i][u][u][b]Chon Figgins [/b] [/u][/u][/i] for lead off spot and sign [b]Marlon Byrd [/b] from Rangers for CF.
Get [i][b]Ankiel(LH)[/b][/i] added to Pence, Lee, Bourne(LH), with Byrd.

Sign [b][i]Rich Harden [/i] [/b] as your #2 behind [i][b]Oswalt[/b][/i], bump [i][b]Wandy [/b] [/i] to #3, for he'd win 16 games as a #3 since he is so inconsistent facing #2's on the road. Try to get [i][b]Garland[/b][/i] as your #4 from LA, and go find an experienced low income lefty #5starter.

Sign [i][b]Derosa[/b][/i] at 3B-2B from Cubs, and go get [b]Bengie[/b] or [b]Javier Molina[/b] to catch and develop the staff, cause the staff struggled overall and remained the same, not much adjusting, all season.
Since Ausmus left, it hasnt been the same managing a staff, I-Rod in certain-circles wasnt always applauded developing pitchers and pitch calling(exception in Florida but dang he had Becket during that WS Run). But I-Rod didnt get much done in Texas nor in Detroit. It was Oswalt who got Ivan Rodriguez to Houston after the World Baseball Classic, and Roy begged for I-Rod cause he knew what Houston had behind the plate in 09.

Also go sign [i][b]Polanco[/b][/i], Mr Reliable from Detroit who brings a Left handed bat for the infield behind Figgins and that makes for a solid contact offense with pop from Tejada, Berkman, Lee, Byrd, Pence, and Derosa for Derosa is tremendous hitting in Houston over his career. Molina can hit 200, who cares for he will have the arms keeping a staff below a 4.5era.

Sprinkle in relievers, with locals[i][b] Sanches [/b] [/i] from Marlins(Nederland) and [i][b]Condrey[/b][/i] from Phillies(Navasota) and Eyers(Phillies)

Wouldnt be too much of a high payroll, and Houston is the 4th largest city in the U-S, they need to act like it sports wise, yet they conduct themselves as a mid-market club financially. I think with those names suiting it up in Minute Maid on a daily basis, the crowds will sit at 75-80% consistent capacity and those names will sale jersey's and tickets.  Make that 1 or 2 yr commitment to all the above for stability, plus they'll play hard to keep contract offers, for most have experience with good clubs and know the grind of a major league season being accountable hitters in line-ups getting 500at bats annually with experience.
And get rid of those guys who only give the 200ab's per season with minimal results, just to save innings for starters. Its a slap in the face to the Houston fan base.
All the above(except Sanches) are free agents, I get reports(from Rockies) each morning so all those guys above ARE available.
When will they receognize its time for the GM to step up, and Drayton, for the owners in Houston fight for front page press time(Rockets-Astros-Texans) and the Rockets are the poster child for the city right now for a city in a state which is a baseball-football state.
How ironic was it last season that Coop got fired 2 days after the Rockets were getting front page press during their big playoff series to the Lakers last year....Coop was the scape-goat when Berkman should have taken the lead just as a Jeter, Pujols, and other franchise guys do for their clubs.
Berkman and Cattle rancher Lee are too soft to lead a ballclub, so give the club to Tejada, Pence, Molina, and Figgins, guys proven that play hard daily and can lead ballclubs.

Chris Fackler

Out of those moves, I see this as a true possibility..

You can take ONE of either Figgins, Byrd, and Ankiel.
Hardin would cost the Astros too much. (Not realistically, but Uncle Drayton is a tight wad)
Derosa could happen.
Neither catcher could be signed. They're too high on Castro in AAA.
Polanco is exactly what they shouldn't get. An aging player. He'd sure fit in great though.

Polanco could be your 250 a-b guy with Bourne hitting in 2hole at times, allowing ya to move Derosa to 2nd and put a left handed bat at 3rd at times. Blum is the other 200a-b guy who can fit in at 3rd from the left side. to switch Derosa in and out in the 6th hole....But who do you bring in to catch, Bard, Barajas, Torrealba, Zaun who???

Interesting thing came my way few days back, A kid I spent time(coached his brother) sent me a text, the Sox made move on him, he is a 2nd baseman, proven .300hitter from Seattle who was in a trade for Ben Broussard 2 seasons ago...he was traded because he was stuck behind Kinsler ....meaning, is Pedroia possibly jumping to the other side of the bag...?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="BOSoxfan4life" post="728586" timestamp="1260632886"]
Not sure if I would call them strategic.   On the fence about the Pedro Feliz signing. 
[/quote]

I don't see how you think there was no strategy involved. The second Valverde turned down arbitration, Lindstrom and Lyons, two of the better bullpen guys in the league, were picked up by the Astros. They also receive two compensation picks in between the first and second rounds for not getting Valverde. Think it's a pretty good deal to me. Not to mention how much cap space it opened. Feliz, he brings more power and run production alone than Blum and Keppinger could do together. Not to mention he brings in a winning attitude..

[quote name="BOSoxfan4life" post="730118" timestamp="1260808840"]
What good is two good relief pitchers if you have no starting pitchers to get you to middle innings? 
[/quote]

Oswalt, Wandy, and Bud Norris are three quality starters. Paulino throws 98 and has some of the best stuff around when he is on. Bazardo came up late in September and has great stuff and will contribute. Yes, they do need atleast one starter signed, but they have 3 quality with the potential of 5, right there..

Norris went 6-3 with an ERA at 4.5.. Sounds pretty good to me. And if Feliz does that, he won't play.. Blum hit 10 last year and Keppinger hit 7 homeruns of his own. Those are just about Feliz's stats from last year, so we will see. He brings a winning mentality over. And adds infield depth, I don't see a downside. Plus, he is a pull hitter and now plays at a field with the most hitter friendly left field.

[quote name="BOSoxfan4life" post="730403" timestamp="1260827865"]
I agree those are good numbers for a first year.  But lets see what he does a second year. 

Clay's second year he went 2-9 with a 6.75 ERA after going 3-1 1.59 Era with a no-hitter. 

I wish him the best of luck and agree he does have a strong year next year. 

[/quote]

I can't beat that, Clay definitely had a soph. slump. Not everyone does though. We will see. All can agree though that another pitcher must be signed.

They signed a 28 yr old Righty named Chacin who has spent the better half of his career in the minors from the looks of it. They consider him to be 'in the mix' for the starting rotation. Uh-oh. Jason Michaels also resigned, rounding off the 40 man roster. All they can do now is non roster invitees for spring training.

[quote name="BOSoxfan4life" post="731404" timestamp="1260981395"]
[url=http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6772251.html]Drayton McLane admits he nearly sold the Astros [/url]
[/quote]
I read that this morning. I also see where Nolan Ryan is working with a group to buy the Rangers. I wish Nolan would come back home to Houston! I STILL miss Nolan Ryan!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder