Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

Guest GCMPats
I have gone on the BHISD website and the job was not yet posted as of yesterday. I would assume it will be posted shortly after their "Committee" meets and determines the qualifications. As for the Freedom of Information filing, who knows.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="KFDM COOP" post="711501" timestamp="1258566192"]
Who will it be?
[/quote]ANYBODY EXCEPT PRICE!!!! TIME TO GO!! HAPPY TRAILS PRICEY BOY!![size=12pt][color=red][/color][/size]

[quote name="Stranger" post="721501" timestamp="1259683139"]
MHS32, even CE King has installed turf and a video scoreboard.  Looks like it is NF and BH vying for the worst field now.

Back to the topic......I hope they hire a proven winner and not just one of Poole's old coaching buddies.
[/quote]

Great, Now we really look bad. Congrats to CE King on the upgrades though.

Barbers Hill needs to take notice of this coach, Coach Bear. This is my first post. I like to see what people are saying on this site since I used to coach at LCM. I know how fanatic southeast football fans are. I saw where he posted yesterday. I have known him for only one football season, but have seen enough to show me what kind of coach he is. Since football season he has been showing up at 5:30 in the morning, sponsoring what he calls a BREAKFAST CLUB for all players wanting to get some unique plyometric lifting. He doesn't just open up the weightroom, he lifts everything he has the kids do. He is very supportive and loyal to his kids, but you should see how dedicated his kids are. He is friends with Coach Riley who is head of strength and conditioning for Methodist hospitals, and was the Texans strength coach for 8 years before the GM got jealous of him and fired him last spring. I know this because he helped me win a free bodpod during their strength show on 790 am a few Saturdays ago.  Coach Bear tells me the story and it is unbelievable, but I guess there is drama everywhere. He coached the former All-SWC aggie Steve Mckinney who owns Velocity workout facilities and gets Steve to talk to his players about what it takes to get to college and the NFL. Coach Bear was runnerup for the Marlin job last year and 2nd runnerup for Eisenhower the year before. He laughs and says he is always a bridesmaid. I know that he has a great relationship with his players and would be a great head coach at Barbers Hill. He did mention something about it last week and went to the Sterling BHill basketball game last week with a former fullback linebacker who lives there. You need to hear this guy – he is a heck of a coach just waiting for an opportunity. I know Dobie and Waco Midway supporters have contacted him about their jobs. That is all—thanks for providing me with great entertainment for my conference period and lunch. You can’t beat Southeast Texas football fever!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="214kp_football" post="722328" timestamp="1259774933"]
Barbers Hill needs to take notice of this coach, Coach Bear. This is my first post. I like to see what people are saying on this site since I used to coach at LCM. I know how fanatic southeast football fans are. I saw where he posted yesterday. I have known him for only one football season, but have seen enough to show me what kind of coach he is. Since football season he has been showing up at 5:30 in the morning, sponsoring what he calls a BREAKFAST CLUB for all players wanting to get some unique plyometric lifting. He doesn't just open up the weightroom, he lifts everything he has the kids do. He is very supportive and loyal to his kids, but you should see how dedicated his kids are. He is friends with Coach Riley who is head of strength and conditioning for Methodist hospitals, and was the Texans strength coach for 8 years before the GM got jealous of him and fired him last spring. I know this because he helped me win a free bodpod during their strength show on 790 am a few Saturdays ago.  Coach Bear tells me the story and it is unbelievable, but I guess there is drama everywhere. He coached the former All-SWC aggie Steve Mckinney who owns Velocity workout facilities and gets Steve to talk to his players about what it takes to get to college and the NFL. Coach Bear was runnerup for the Marlin job last year and 2nd runnerup for Eisenhower the year before. He laughs and says he is always a bridesmaid. I know that he has a great relationship with his players and would be a great head coach at Barbers Hill. He did mention something about it last week and went to the Sterling BHill basketball game last week with a former fullback linebacker who lives there. You need to hear this guy – he is a heck of a coach just waiting for an opportunity. I know Dobie and Waco Midway supporters have contacted him about their jobs. That is all—thanks for providing me with great entertainment for my conference period and lunch. You can’t beat Southeast Texas football fever!
[/quote]

I assume you are talking about Coach Berezoski? Greay guy, lots of energy.

[quote name="Stranger" post="720890" timestamp="1259604475"]
kindafunny, that may be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on here.  Believe me, every kid has been coached.  And a question for you...how do you coach a kid "as if they have the ability to be a D1 player"?  
[/quote]

YOU encourage, inspire and teach with positive reinforcement! :)
[/quote]

[quote author=coach bear link=topic=62612.msg722201#msg722201 date=1259758709]
Great Post by Kindafunny. As a coach we should be held responsible to coach ALL student athletes, whether male or female, football or basketball or baseball or soccer or track, as if they were all possibly D-1 athletes because THEY ALL ARE!! And if you coach, and don't follow that idea, then you are doing your student athletes a disservice. Or if you are too tired to work to help them get into college for athletics or just to become a future coach/teacher, you need to get out of the profession. There are a lot of coaches that are too lazy or think too highly of themselves to go the extra mile for ALL student athletes. The true D-1 athletes will get attention from those college coaches. It is the ones that are capable of playing D-2, D-3, NAIA, or juinor college that need the high school coaches attention. I have made it a point to train all like D-1 prospects and work like the devil to get all others interest from the lower college levels. Student athletes can read a coach very quickly and tell whether they are self-serving OR student/athlete serving.
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great ones out there who are student first. My mentors Jerry Stewart of Dayton and Kent Bachtel of Waco Midway are definitely student first. Other coaches I've worked with that I would put in that category are Todd Schoppe (now AD at Laporte), Mike Bass (now Ad at Alvin), Coach Carson at Woodlands College Park, Dexter Wesley the OC at Aldine, Coach Simmons at Aldine (formerly of Smiley), and Bruce Bell formerly of Forest Brook and North Texas U. You also don't have to look any further than some of your youth leagues. There is no pay there just love for the kids. I know there are some bad apples in youth sports, just like in high school sports, but there are some youth coaches that I would like to have on my staff because I coached them throughout high school and I truly know their character. One that is like that is a Barbers Hill parent, Marcus Hamilton, who tries to work out BH athletes in the summer to help out the program. He has his heart in the right place and I wish he had a teaching certificate - I would hire him in an instant. He is the type of community member that makes Barbers Hill a great place to live.
[/quote]

Thanks Coach  ;) You put that very well!

[quote name="coach bear" post="722201" timestamp="1259758709"]
Great Post by Kindafunny. As a coach we should be held responsible to coach ALL student athletes, whether male or female, football or basketball or baseball or soccer or track, as if they were all possibly D-1 athletes because THEY ALL ARE!! And if you coach, and don't follow that idea, then you are doing your student athletes a disservice. Or if you are too tired to work to help them get into college for athletics or just to become a future coach/teacher, you need to get out of the profession. There are a lot of coaches that are too lazy or think too highly of themselves to go the extra mile for ALL student athletes. The true D-1 athletes will get attention from those college coaches. It is the ones that are capable of playing D-2, D-3, NAIA, or juinor college that need the high school coaches attention. I have made it a point to train all like D-1 prospects and work like the devil to get all others interest from the lower college levels. Student athletes can read a coach very quickly and tell whether they are self-serving OR student/athlete serving.
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great ones out there who are student first. My mentors Jerry Stewart of Dayton and Kent Bachtel of Waco Midway are definitely student first. Other coaches I've worked with that I would put in that category are Todd Schoppe (now AD at Laporte), Mike Bass (now Ad at Alvin), Coach Carson at Woodlands College Park, Dexter Wesley the OC at Aldine, Coach Simmons at Aldine (formerly of Smiley), and Bruce Bell formerly of Forest Brook and North Texas U. You also don't have to look any further than some of your youth leagues. There is no pay there just love for the kids. I know there are some bad apples in youth sports, just like in high school sports, but there are some youth coaches that I would like to have on my staff because I coached them throughout high school and I truly know their character. One that is like that is a Barbers Hill parent, Marcus Hamilton, who tries to work out BH athletes in the summer to help out the program. He has his heart in the right place and I wish he had a teaching certificate - I would hire him in an instant. He is the type of community member that makes Barbers Hill a great place to live.
[/quote]

Refreshing words Coach........very well put.  At least now, according to another poster, I won't have to tell my daughter she is unlikely to be Valedictorian and can now make 70's to just get by.  ;) 

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="722393" timestamp="1259783986"]
[quote author=coach bear link=topic=62612.msg722201#msg722201 date=1259758709]
[/quote]

Refreshing words Coach........very well put.  At least now, according to another poster, I won't have to tell my daughter she is unlikely to be Valedictorian and can now make 70's to just get by.   ;) 
[/quote]

C's get degrees! ;D

I got an "interest of the community" comment......I know.......since when does my opinion matter.   ;D

Sure would be nice to see Coach Byrd hang around and help the defence.  He did a good job as DC before being somewhat demoted this year.  What do you think?

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="722396" timestamp="1259784163"]
I got an "interest of the community" comment......I know.......since when does my opinion matter.   ;D

Sure would be nice to see Coach Byrd hang around and help the defence.  He did a good job as DC before being somewhat demoted this year.  What do you think?
[/quote]

I would expect Coach Byrd to move on down that far sideline. Heck, he's already retired once. It's a young mans game these days, nobody wants a little aged wisdom around it seems.

Never underestimate the wisdom  and the energy of an old coach. The blitz is still a good defensive strategy and I have been called "BLITZ" Byrd.

What a great run we all had at Barbers Hill. We all had a great time day in and day out. You guys that have never coached high school kids - you are truely missing a blessing. The kids at Barbers Hill are great kids, hard workers, and they will get after you.

Thanks to all you Barbers Hill guys,
Coach Byrd

[quote name="Coach Byrd" post="722524" timestamp="1259795797"]
Never underestimate the wisdom  and the energy of an old coach. The blitz is still a good defensive strategy and I have been called "BLITZ" Byrd.

What a great run we all had at Barbers Hill. We all had a great time day in and day out. You guys that have never coached high school kids - you are truely missing a blessing. The kids at Barbers Hill are great kids, hard workers, and they will get after you.

Coach Byrd
[/quote]

Amen Coach, hope to see you walking the chalk next year.  As a fan I appreciate what you did for the kids and us bleacher coaches.  Good luck whatever happens.

Coach Byrd
[/quote]

Coach Byrd, if that is who you really are: It has been a pleasure watching you coach and having you help mold young athletes into fine young men. You have made BHISD a better place. Thank you for all the years you gave your heart, soul, time and energy to this school district. Best of luck to you and your family whatever happens.

My son played for Coach Byrd and I can tell you the kids love this man... [b]Great guy, great coach and a Christian.[/b] Would love to see him back next year if that can work out and he wants to be back..Coach Byrd thanks for the influence you had on my son into helping mold him into the great young man that he is...Very much appreciated from this family...

[quote name="GCMPats" post="720951" timestamp="1259611718"]
You can coach and inspire until the cows come home. At the end of the day, D1 coaches and recruiters (along with a little thing called genetics) will still be the only factors that determine if you have D1 talent.

D1 recruits do not define wether you have a successful program or not. Coach Price ran a good, clean program that was respected in and around the Houston area. Based on that, he was successful.
[/quote]

I do believe this is the most sensible post in the entire thread and I am not being a smarty pants either  ::)
I wish Coach Price all the best.

[quote name="BarbersHillEagle" post="722842" timestamp="1259854104"]
Same sentiments for Coach Byrd.....your a great coach, but an even better person and role model.

[b]I wish the same for all the coaches at BH.  There are some very good men that work with our kids.  Hope they don't get lost in the process.[/b]
[/quote]

Ditto! Thanks to all the coaches.

[quote name="friogal" post="723027" timestamp="1259871093"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg720951#msg720951 date=1259611718]
You can coach and inspire until the cows come home. At the end of the day, D1 coaches and recruiters (along with a little thing called genetics) will still be the only factors that determine if you have D1 talent.

D1 recruits do not define wether you have a successful program or not. Coach Price ran a good, clean program that was respected in and around the Houston area. Based on that, he was successful.
[/quote]

[b]I do believe this is the most sensible post in the entire thread[/b] and I am not being a smarty pants either  ::)
I wish Coach Price all the best.
[/quote]

Absolutely!

HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS
Price relieved at Barbers Hill
By JASON MCDANIEL CHRONICLE CORRESPONDENT
Dec. 1, 2009, 1:08PM
Share  Print Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUpon
Resources
PRICE FILE
• Who: Don Price

• What: After 11 seasons as head football coach/athletic director, Don Price is out at Barbers Hill. Price went 99-35 at Barber Hill and is 105-58-1 for his career.

• Why: Price said no real reason was given for the move, other than Superintendent Greg Poole told him the Barbers Hill ISD school board was were ready to make a change.

• What next: The 57-year-old plans to look for a new head coaching job once his buyout is official. His last day at Barbers Hill is Dec. 31.
Don Price received the word just before Halloween weekend — after 11 seasons as head football coach/athletic director at Barbers Hill, the school was ready to go in a different direction.

Price said he was approached by Barbers Hill ISD Superintendent Greg Poole with the news that the school board wanted to make a change.

He told his players and coaches after their bi-district playoff loss to Port Neches-Groves, and the school district made the decision official when it announced on Nov. 18 that Price would be leaving.

“It's one of those things that you're depressed about it when it happens, because when you're told (Poole) wants to make a change and no one on the school board is backing you, it's time to move on,” Price said.

Price and the school district were working on a buyout last week. He was under contract through next school year. Instead he'll be in his office until his final day at Barbers Hill on Dec. 31.

The Eagles finished 5-6 this season. They opened District 19-4A with three consecutive wins, then dropped three straight before rallying with a win against North Forest to qualify for the playoffs.

“We started six sophomores,” Price said. “We were a young football team, and I'm real proud of them. They pretty much played up to their potential.

“We had a few injuries and things — which every school has, there's no excuses — but if you want to know how we played the best thing to do is to talk to Jerry Stewart at Dayton or Kevin Flanigan at Crosby, and I'll go with whatever they say.”

They'd say his team was still tough.

District 19-4A's last two champions just edged out the Eagles in their meetings this season, with Dayton winning 24-21 and Crosby claiming a 21-16 victory.

Price leaves Barbers Hill with a 99-35 record. He's 105-58-1 for his career, having reached the 100-win plateau with a 48-10 win over Kingwood Park last year, when the Eagles didn't make the playoffs.

“It's one of those milestones as a head coach and I guess there's some gratification there, but the thing you have to understand is there are a lot of things that go into that,” Price said. “There are a lot of other people that help accomplish those types of things.

“I'm indebted to a great staff and we've always had hard-working kids here. And I'll say this, the parents by and large have allowed us to train their kids. I've never had anybody complain about, ‘Hey, you worked my kid too hard.'”

This fall the school remained competitive throughout its athletic programs under the longtime AD.

The boys and girls cross country teams went to the regional meet, the tennis team qualified for regionals and the volleyball and football teams made the playoffs.

“That's not a bad fall,” Price said. “I don't know how many schools around us can say that about all their sports, and we're No. 8 in enrollment in our district.”

The 57-year-old led the Eagles to five perfect regular seasons by says his fondest memory comes from the 2006-07 school year.

“It was our first year going into 4A, we were coming up from 3A and you hear all the things, ‘Well they're not going to be any good,' and we go 10-1 (and win an undefeated District 21-4A title),” Price said.

“We had an enrollment then of about 960 kids, and out of the 15 sports we had, boys and girls, we were district champions in 14 of them that year.”

Despite the setback, Price says he has no intentions of retiring just yet.

“There's no doubt about it, this is going to be a transition for me,” he said. “I'm going to try to get another (head coaching) job, test the market and see if somebody wants me to work.

“I wish Barbers Hill all the luck. I really, really enjoyed the kids and the staff here. There is a very, very good staff as far as teachers and coaches here.”

Coach Byrd
[/quote]

Coach Byrd, wanted to say how much we're gona miss you(or least I am). I thought you did a great job with the defense over the years. Wish you would stick around awhile, but know your probably ready to relax awhile. God bless in what ever you do!!

[quote name="BHtheHill" post="723412" timestamp="1259907697"]
HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS
Price relieved at Barbers Hill
By JASON MCDANIEL CHRONICLE CORRESPONDENT
Dec. 1, 2009, 1:08PM
Share  Print Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUpon
Resources
PRICE FILE
• Who: Don Price

• What: After 11 seasons as head football coach/athletic director, Don Price is out at Barbers Hill. Price went 99-35 at Barber Hill and is 105-58-1 for his career.

• Why: Price said no real reason was given for the move, other than Superintendent Greg Poole told him the Barbers Hill ISD school board was were ready to make a change.

• What next: The 57-year-old plans to look for a new head coaching job once his buyout is official. His last day at Barbers Hill is Dec. 31.
Don Price received the word just before Halloween weekend — after 11 seasons as head football coach/athletic director at Barbers Hill, the school was ready to go in a different direction.

Price said he was approached by Barbers Hill ISD Superintendent Greg Poole with the news that the school board wanted to make a change.

He told his players and coaches after their bi-district playoff loss to Port Neches-Groves, and the school district made the decision official when it announced on Nov. 18 that Price would be leaving.

“It's one of those things that you're depressed about it when it happens, because when you're told (Poole) wants to make a change and no one on the school board is backing you, it's time to move on,” Price said.

Price and the school district were working on a buyout last week. He was under contract through next school year. Instead he'll be in his office until his final day at Barbers Hill on Dec. 31.

The Eagles finished 5-6 this season. They opened District 19-4A with three consecutive wins, then dropped three straight before rallying with a win against North Forest to qualify for the playoffs.

“We started six sophomores,” Price said. “We were a young football team, and I'm real proud of them. They pretty much played up to their potential.

“We had a few injuries and things — which every school has, there's no excuses — but if you want to know how we played the best thing to do is to talk to Jerry Stewart at Dayton or Kevin Flanigan at Crosby, and I'll go with whatever they say.”

They'd say his team was still tough.

District 19-4A's last two champions just edged out the Eagles in their meetings this season, with Dayton winning 24-21 and Crosby claiming a 21-16 victory.

Price leaves Barbers Hill with a 99-35 record. He's 105-58-1 for his career, having reached the 100-win plateau with a 48-10 win over Kingwood Park last year, when the Eagles didn't make the playoffs.

“It's one of those milestones as a head coach and I guess there's some gratification there, but the thing you have to understand is there are a lot of things that go into that,” Price said. “There are a lot of other people that help accomplish those types of things.

“I'm indebted to a great staff and we've always had hard-working kids here. And I'll say this, the parents by and large have allowed us to train their kids. I've never had anybody complain about, ‘Hey, you worked my kid too hard.'”

This fall the school remained competitive throughout its athletic programs under the longtime AD.

The boys and girls cross country teams went to the regional meet, the tennis team qualified for regionals and the volleyball and football teams made the playoffs.

“That's not a bad fall,” Price said. “I don't know how many schools around us can say that about all their sports, and we're No. 8 in enrollment in our district.”

The 57-year-old led the Eagles to five perfect regular seasons by says his fondest memory comes from the 2006-07 school year.

“It was our first year going into 4A, we were coming up from 3A and you hear all the things, ‘Well they're not going to be any good,' and we go 10-1 (and win an undefeated District 21-4A title),” Price said.

“We had an enrollment then of about 960 kids, and out of the 15 sports we had, boys and girls, we were district champions in 14 of them that year.”

Despite the setback, Price says he has no intentions of retiring just yet.

“There's no doubt about it, this is going to be a transition for me,” he said. “I'm going to try to get another (head coaching) job, test the market and see if somebody wants me to work.

“I wish Barbers Hill all the luck. I really, really enjoyed the kids and the staff here. There is a very, very good staff as far as teachers and coaches here.”

[/quote]
Coach Price was a great coach, tough to see him leave.
God Bless

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
    • I heard the assistant was going to get this job and assume it was referring to the old Vidor coach, Nate Smith.  I always thought he did more with less at Vidor and can't help but think he shares some responsibility in Vidor's recent success. 
    • Classic Bridge City.  Always someone else's fault, refs/umpires cheated, AD with an agenda, yada, yada, yada.  As far as I can tell it's damn near impossible to get fired at these schools so when someone does get fired, it's usually something.  Drama at Bridge City is a constant.  The guy did a good job coaching basketball and I'm sure he'll continue that somewhere else.  Time to move on.
  • Topics