How do you get a 7-2 score in an overtime game?

Guest JoesBros
Lets see here it was 0 to 0 at the end of regulation. Team A scored a safety then Team B scored a safety. Second overtime Team A scored another safety oh heck Mike I have no clue?????? where did this happen?

[quote name="Englebert" post="710700" timestamp="1258475920"]
It is possible. The teams could start overtime tied 2-2. The first team could kick a field goal on their first possession, then get a safety on defense, making the final score 7-2.
[/quote]

Or start 0-0 and get a TD plus the safety.  question is, how would you get a safety when they start in the redzone???  it would be hard to fumble it that far back.

I am sorry folks, I know that mathematically it is possible to get a safety in an overtime, but logistically, it's virtually impossible. Each team starts at the opponents 25, they would have to lose 75 yards, and that is highly impossible.

I did some checking and Grad is right, the game in question never went to overtime.

[quote name="JoesBros" post="710699" timestamp="1258475786"]
Lets see here it was 0 to 0 at the end of regulation. Team A scored a safety then Team B scored a safety. Second overtime Team A scored another safety oh heck Mike I have no clue?????? where did this happen?
[/quote]

Joey, this scenario would not happen. After Team A got the initial safety, the game would be over.

Guest Silsbee88
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="710738" timestamp="1258478743"]
I am sorry folks, I know that mathematically it is possible to get a safety in an overtime, but logistically, it's virtually impossible. Each team starts at the opponents 25, they would have to lose 75 yards, and that is highly impossible.

I did some checking and Grad is right, the game in question never went to overtime.
[/quote]

Not so virtually impossible, if I remember the Lumberton game this year AAW, Silsbee lost 60 in one series due to penalties and sacks (or JJ running for his life the wrong direction)  ;D ;D

Guest GCMPats
2-2 end of regulation.

First team in OT scores a field goal on its possession. 5-2.

Second team in OT has a major, major melt down and incurs a safety on its possession. 7-2 Final.

Possible, not probable.

Although it was an interesting exercise...it never happened.  I, for reasons that are now are completely unknown to me, typed in the Rockdale/Marlin score in the playoff capsule for the Rockdale/Coldspring game as 7-2 (OT).  Well, the game never went into overtime. 

I knew I should have taken a nap before I created that capsule!

I have seen a play where a team incurred a safety from inside the opposing red zone. Team A fumbled the ball around Team B's 10 yard line. Team B picked up the fumble and returned it for an apparent touchdown. Right before the player crossed the goal line, a player from Team A stripped the ball. The same player from Team A then picked up the fumble and commenced running the ball back. In trying to avoid a tackle, he crossed back into his own end zone and was later tackled in the end zone. Safety. It can happen.

Yeah even thought said game didn't go to OT, it is possible.

Team A scores TD with EP on first possession. Team B gets ball, QB throws INT, DB catches it around the 5, starts to return it instead of taking knee, then figures out game is over and throws ball out of back of end zone, or runs into end zone, or whatever.
Unlikely, but could happen.

[quote name="dayton" post="710767" timestamp="1258481709"]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=62563.msg710764#msg710764 date=1258481552]
[quote]question is, how would you get a safety when they start in the redzone???   [/quote]

[b]Ask Central[/b]
[/quote]

that was on an extra point attempt.... silly goose.
[/quote]  People need to think before they post. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

[quote name="mamajag" post="710934" timestamp="1258495321"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=62563.msg710767#msg710767 date=1258481709]
[quote author=Two-Dogs... link=topic=62563.msg710764#msg710764 date=1258481552]
[quote]question is, how would you get a safety when they start in the redzone???   [/quote]

[b]Ask Central[/b]
[/quote]

that was on an extra point attempt.... silly goose.
[/quote]   People need to think before they post. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
[/quote] ;D ;D :D :D

Ok, here's how it could happen.  Tied 2-2 at the end of regulation Team A kicks a field goal making it 5-2.  Then Team B has a wacky play where they throw an interception, the DB runs down to the goal line, gets hit from behind and fumbles, Team B player picks the ball up in their own end zone and tries to run it out but gets tackled.  Final score 7-2.

Your scenario has already been covered.

[quote name="Englebert" post="710700" timestamp="1258475920"]
It is possible. The teams could start overtime tied 2-2. The first team could kick a field goal on their first possession, then get a safety on defense, making the final score 7-2.
[/quote]

[quote author=Englebert link=topic=62563.msg710806#msg710806 date=1258484388]
I have seen a play where a team incurred a safety from inside the opposing red zone. Team A fumbled the ball around Team B's 10 yard line. Team B picked up the fumble and returned it for an apparent touchdown. Right before the player crossed the goal line, a player from Team A stripped the ball. The same player from Team A then picked up the fumble and commenced running the ball back. In trying to avoid a tackle, he crossed back into his own end zone and was later tackled in the end zone. Safety. It can happen.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83