Goose Creek Memorial 42 C. E. King 38

oldrock

Guest Ranger83
It is for real. State playoffs!

GCM survived a defensive battle to secure the the schools first playoff apperance in year 2. Great job Patriots!

(You're welcome BH)

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="cardinal66" post="684852" timestamp="1256386826"]
I sense some sarcasm there Ranger.  It doesn't look like either team could slow the other one down.  At least we aren't Sterling.  Ouch 68 points to NS.
[/quote]

We could not make a stop until late in the game. Hopefully we'll be able to get healthy and make some adjustments. A win is a win. It's MUCH better than the alternative.

Not too excitd about that Week Ten "open" date. Throws off your Mojo. But, it will give them some much needed rest.

[quote name="UgotTRUCKED" post="684879" timestamp="1256390253"]
Congrats to GCM on making the playoffs.
[/quote]

Amen to that and good luck to you guys in the playoffs. What a great way to start your program.

Guest Ranger83
Published October 24, 2009

HOUSTON -- For the first time in school history the Goose Creek Memorial Patriots have made the football playoffs.

Patriot wideout Patrick Wood came up with a circus catch for a 25-yard touchdown with 36 seconds to deliver a 42-38 win over C.E. King.

“Well when I went up for it, me and the deep man were fighting for it,” Wood said. “He tipped it and it came out. I told myself ‘Don’t drop this ball or the game is over.’

“So I just stuck my hands out there and caught it by my fingertips. I watched him (the referee) throw up the touchdown sign, and I got up to celebrate with my team.

“And then I all thought was we are going to the playoffs. We are going to the playoffs.”

The Patriots’ win, coupled with Crosby’s victory over Barbers Hill, leaves them alone in third place in District 19-4A with a 4-2 league record, 6-3 overall.

Even if they lost to Kingwood Park next week, they would win any tie-breaker because of their wins over Barbers Hill and C.E. King.

Wood didn’t lead his team with his four receptions for 44 yards. The busiest pass receiver was Keithen Collins with six grabs for 86 yards. But Wood’s last catch was the most important of the game.

“What can you say,” Pats coach Bret Boyd said. “Big time players make big time plays.

“He (Wood) stepped up and he made that play tonight.”

The Patriots and Panthers went back and forth all night, with the game featuring six lead changes. The next to last Patriot drive of the game was a key example of the ever-shifting momentum.

With 50 seconds left on the clock, the Patriots were down by three and had the ball driving in to win the game, when Cody Larson threw an interception.

One of the Panther players returned the interception for 10 yards, and then met Patriot wideout Collins.

Collins forced a fumble and recovered it, which allowed the Patriots to get the ball back and score the winning touchdown.

“Our players stepped up when they needed to tonight,” Boyd said. “We have been working all year, and our guys made some good plays.”

Offense was abundant throughout the night for both sides, especially for the Pats’ Larson, and DeMartie Allen.

At half Cody Larson was 9 for 10 for 208 yards and one touchdown and a rushing touchdown. One of his biggest gainers was a 65-yard TD bomb to Price Jacobs on the game’s first play.

Jacobs finished the game with two catches for 70 yards and a touchdown.

The halftime score was 28-25 in favor of the Patriots.

Larson finally came back down to Earth as the second half began. He finished the game 15 for 23 for 286 yards and two touchdowns passing to go with his one rushing touchdown.

Allen also had a big night. His final statistics were 19 rushes for 153 yards and two touchdowns, including a 65-yard scoring sprint in the third quarter that created yet another lead change.

Allen also grabbed the interception that ensured the win for the Patriots at the end of the game.

“When it boils down to it, you have to have the right guys out there to make the plays,” Boyd said. “He (Allen) made a good play.”

The Patriots’ offense strugged early in the second half, but Boyd said he felt the finally found a fix.

“In the first half I felt like we could do whatever we wanted to do offensively,” Boyd said. “In the second half we did come out struggling a little bit. We needed to make some throws in some situations, but we just couldn’t find the time to throw the ball.

“But we made the right adjustments and we made the right plays in the end.”

The regular season is still not over for the Patriots as there is still one District 19-4A game left to play. The game will be on Saturday at 2 p.m., when the Patriots host Kingwood Park at Stallworth.

For now though, the Patriots will celebrate the win.

“This is what we practiced for,” Boyd said. “And this is basically what we have been preparing for the past year.”

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder