*Jasper vs. Carthage Updates......Carthage Wins/Comments*

Jasper couldn't find any offense against a good Carthage team.  Carthage had to use desperation and trickery to score on the first 3 of their TDs, and Jasper was fortunate to cause several turnovers.  All in all both defenses looked good.  Carthage has a nice mix on offense with a good qb, rb and several good receivers.  The interior of their defense was very solid.

[quote name="Ron Burgundy" post="685048" timestamp="1256402388"]
Wow I can't believe Jasper got beat! Carthage must be great...
[/quote]

They looked good offensively and great defensively.  They certainly look better offensively than Jasper does.  The defense were fairly equal IMO.  Carthage scored on a last second play in the first half on a blown coverage (well designed play that had Jasper rotating over to cover trips and leaving the other side open for a crossing TE), a trick play, and desperation 4th and forever bomb before tacking on a meaningless TD.

Jasper's defense played very well but had fits trying to cover the TE. 

Carthage is very well coached and made several very good play calls to exploit Jasper's weaknesses.

I haven't seen many teams like Jasper that will man up the wideouts and not have a safety or two to back up the corners.  I don't know if they were having a safety try and spy the TE or what but it was a weird looking defensive scheme.

The trick play Carthage ran was impressive.  They put a small back squatting down behind the right guard right out of a quick bunched up huddle and snapped it and everyone moved right and the qb gave it to the squatting back who took off left for a nice TD. 

The 4th down bomb for a TD was an amazing play by the QB.  He was being pursued all night but Jasper just couldn't put a helmet on him.  On this play he scrambled and threw a 40+ yard laser to the endzone into coverage for the score.  It was a "wow" moment.

I really thought Jasper had the speed to get around the corner but kept running the ball into the teeth of the Carthage defense the whole night.  There was absolutely nothing there.  The option gave them too long to pursue the ball.  We need to runs some sweeps and a reverse or two wouldn't have hurt.  It certainly gave the Dogs somethings to work on. 

Carthage hasn't won 24 or 25 in a row for nothing though.

Article from the Longview News-Journal.

[b]Dominant performance lifts Carthage to win over Jasper[/b]

By GABRIEL D. BROOKS

Saturday, October 24, 2009

JASPER — Carthage's defense allowed two first downs on Jasper's first possession of the game, but yielded only one more the rest of the night in a dominant performance that led Class 3A's No. 2-ranked team to a 27-3 win.

Jasper, which entered the game averaging almost 350 rushing yards, failed to get a first down on the ground as Carthage smothered Jasper's stack-I formation. Jasper gained only 22 yards on 28 rushing attempts and did not complete a pass in the second half. Jasper quarterback Sam Alvis was 3-for-14 passing for 46 yards and failed to complete his final eight passes. Carthage held Jasper to 66 first-half yards before stepping up the defense to another level in the second half, holding Jasper to only two yards for a total of 68.

Deshun Williams led the charge with five tackles for loss and a fumble recovery. Kendall Thompson had a first-quarter, red-zone interception — his third of the year — while Lovis Hall and Kyle Deaton each had two tackles for loss. Tre'Kevian McKee recorded a sack and batted down a pass. Edward Pope blocked a 27-yard first-quarter field-goal attempt.

Carthage outgained Jasper 354-68. Bulldog Field's surface was not too wet, but held enough moisture to play more like Play-Doh.

Carthage's defense played well enough for the offense's three first-half turnovers to not matter. Jasper led 3-0 halfway through the second quarter on a 33-yard Juan Mijares field goal, but Carthage answered with a 12-play, 79-yard drive capped by Anthony Morgan's 14-yard touchdown pass to tight end Trevor Murphy for a 7-3 halftime lead.

Murphy had his best game of the season so far, catching six passes for 75 yards. Morgan was 12-for-23 for 154 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. O'Bryan Washington returned after missing the first two District 18-3A games, rushing 15 times for 84 yards and catching two passes for 33 yards. Jalen Claiborne caught three passes for 36 yards, including a game-sealing, 28-yarder on fourth-and-15 that saw Morgan scramble right to the and find Claiborne on a leaping grab and a 21-3 lead early in the fourth.

Tamonte Hines carried seven times in the fourth, gaining 64 yards and scoring on a 25-yard touchdown. Darayvious Allison, who had the two biggest hits of the game, scored on a 19-yard fumblerooski for a 14-3 Carthage lead with 1:15 remaining in the third.

In all honesty I will say this, nothing but props to both defenses.  However, I thought Jasper's play calling was to conservative, it was like we were playing not to lose this lose the game instead of win the game!  I would have liked to seen us throw the ball after it was obvious Jasper couldn't run the ball last night.

[quote name="AstrosDawg07" post="685122" timestamp="1256406868"]
In all honesty I will say this, nothing but props to both defenses.  However, I thought Jasper's play calling was to conservative, it was like we were playing not to lose this lose the game instead of win the game!  I would have liked to seen us throw the ball after it was obvious Jasper couldn't run the ball last night.
[/quote]

The Longview paper said Jasper was 3-14 passing and failed to complete it's last 8 passes! Sounds like it didn't matter what they did, Carthage was too much for them. They had 2 yards of offense in the second half!

[quote name="AstrosDawg07" post="685276" timestamp="1256419913"]
We dropped a couple of wide open passes late in the game.  But everyone in the stadium knew what Jasper was going to do when they had the ball, RUN.  I was not that impressed with Carthage.  I would be willing willing to bet if they were to play Gilmer they would get crushed.
[/quote]

carthage came into a mud pit, dropped passes, fumbled the ball, threw interceptions and still beat a team with only one loss, 27-3.  read the stats on this game.  what does it take to impress you.  #71 on carthage's d-line is exceptional.  carthage gave gilmer their last loss. 

[quote name="house" post="685300" timestamp="1256423736"]
[quote author=AstrosDawg07 link=topic=61238.msg685276#msg685276 date=1256419913]
We dropped a couple of wide open passes late in the game.  But everyone in the stadium knew what Jasper was going to do when they had the ball, RUN.  I was not that impressed with Carthage.  I would be willing willing to bet if they were to play Gilmer they would get crushed.
[/quote]

carthage came into a mud pit, dropped passes, fumbled the ball, threw interceptions and still beat a team with only one loss, 27-3.  read the stats on this game.  what does it take to impress you.  #71 on carthage's d-line is exceptional.  carthage gave gilmer their last loss. 
[/quote]

I was at the game, you can't base the game off the box score.  Due to Jasper's lack of TOP  our defense flat out gave out in the end, thus for the reason the score was 27-3.  Much closer game than that.

[quote name="AstrosDawg07" post="685410" timestamp="1256430632"]
[quote author=house link=topic=61238.msg685300#msg685300 date=1256423736]
[quote author=AstrosDawg07 link=topic=61238.msg685276#msg685276 date=1256419913]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I was at the game, you can't base the game off the box score.  Due to Jasper's lack of TOP  our defense flat out gave out in the end, thus for the reason the score was 27-3.  Much closer game than that.
[/quote]

that 354 to 68 in yardage seems pretty lopsided.  did carthage not get close to scoring a few times in the first half and turn the ball over?  if that was the case, i guess it could have been 40 or 50 something to 3.  sounds like jaspers defense was pretty good at times since carthage went on fourth down a few times. 
judging from some of the  game scores that night, i'm wondering if wet fields contributed to some lower than normal scores. 

Jasper has the worst wide receiving core I have ever seen in my 40 yrs of watching jasper..I said the same thing after the silsbee game..Usually we dont have a qb that can throw but that has been reversed...How many times can alvis hit a guy in the hands and they drop it..IDK maybe we focus on running in practice to much and not passing but Alvis needs at least one receiver he can count on..

[quote name="T-daddy" post="686431" timestamp="1256563966"]
Jasper has the worst wide receiving core I have ever seen in my 40 yrs of watching jasper..I said the same thing after the silsbee game..Usually we dont have a qb that can throw but that has been reversed...How many times can alvis hit a guy in the hands and they drop it..IDK maybe we focus on running in practice to much and not passing but Alvis needs at least one receiver he can count on..
[/quote]

There were several dropped passes.  I do believe coach Bickham will get this fixed before playoffs.  I look for a huge win over Rusk and carry that right into the Center game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder