WO-S Offense ?????

WO-S 89

It's hilarious watching all the non-WO-S fans ride Coop's back on this, especially AAW.  If we (WO-S) lose again he may have cardiac arrest.  

The facts are these...

1) WO-S is going backward on developing the offense.  This has more to do with player focus and execution than anything else.  It's not about play selection.  The play selection is just fine, and I'm happy that Toby has replaced the former OC.  This was a definite upgrade.

2) Jasper EARNED the victory.  They were the better team Friday night, and they deserved the win.  

I can guarantee you that most people who closely follow WO-S see it this way, but it's all overshadowed by the few homers (one in particular) who can't accept a loss for any reason.  Those who understand what's going on with the offense and who have a realistic view of what happened Friday night are not the ones who post as often as the homers I referred to.  

Congratulations Jasper.  

Finally a voice of reason and football knowledge emerges from all the smoke. Good luck to both WOS and Jasper the rest of the season.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't bother me when other take their opportunity to figuratively, anyway, dance on the Mustangs' grave.  You're right, shovelhead, when the accolades come in you have to know that you will get the criticism as well.  You read the criticism and take it in.  The other comments you just read, shrug at and move on.  

Now to the Mustangs' "problems."  I believe that a lot have to do with the quality of opponents that they have played in the last couple of weeks.  Kirbyville was a team that a lot of folks on the site (and I bet if I research posts some who have weighed in on this thread) thought was not going to be able to repeat its run to the 2A championship game because of all the starters they had lost from last year's team.  Jack Alavarez has shown that he has his team prepared to do just that.  Jasper was a team that, prior to the season, some claimed would not even make the playoffs out of 18-3A.  Mike Bickham, though, has them playing a brand of defense that is going to allow them to seriously challenge Carthage for the district championship.  Being beaten by quality teams is no shame, and that is what happened last week with the Mustangs.  And leave no doubt, folks they were beaten.  I didn't have a chance to keep up with the game Friday night, but from those whose opinions I trust, the score did not indicate how lopsided the game actually was.

People point at the offense, which has been ineffective.  Most want to say that it is execution by the offense and there is certainly evidence to support it.  The best play calling won't over come 1st and 15s caused by fall starts or multiple interceptions in the game.  But then you have to wonder, are the Mustangs getting the best play calling?  This is a little harder to gauge, but there is circumstantial evidence of that as well.  For the last ten years or so, WO-S had an offensive coordinator in Randy Crouch who was heavily criticized by Mustang fans, I being among them, for his play calling.  He is now across the interstate at LC-M as head coach.  Now, my job and me keeping up with the scores here on Friday night for the scoreboard have rendered me an outsider looking in for my alma mater.  But merely from that perspective and an admittedly small sample, you can say the LC-M offense is a lot better with him and to date the Mustang offense has been a lot less effective without him.  I don't wish to lay the problems at Toby Foreman's feet, but I think that even he understands that it is up to him to take the next 2 weeks to improve the offensive output.

What concerns me more about the game Friday is what those same folks I trust are telling me across the board, that is something that appears to missing from this years' Mustang team.  I have heard this element has been missing every since the Vidor scrimmage...that is heart.  To get beat and get beat handily by a team the quality of Jasper is no shame and taking them out of the equation may be the biggest part of the offensive woes (and defensive as the Chaingang gave up almost 300 yds last wee) that WO-S suffered over the last week.  However, after the scare the week before against Kirbyville, I for one, expected WO-S to come out in effort, if not result, like a house of fire and with the pride of being a West Orange-Stark Mustang football player.  Anything less is usually not tolerated.  The pride and heart did not show up.  Now when I hear that from Mustang fans, I just take that as frustration at the result of the game.  But when I hear that from fans of opponents who have seen other Mustang teams you have to take note.

Perhaps this is a little harsh to put on a bunch of teenagers, especially when the results of their effort has no bearing on my life whatsoever other than a bit of enjoyment on Friday nights during the fall.  But to get to where these guys were predicted by many to go...and hopefully where they want to go...they will have to look inside their hearts and find the pride and heart as they will need it because there will be many more Kirbyvilles and Jaspers that they have to face to get there.

It's hilarious watching all the non-WO-S fans ride Coop's back on this, especially AAW.  If we (WO-S) lose again he may have cardiac arrest.  

The facts are these...

1) WO-S is going backward on developing the offense.  This has more to do with player focus and execution than anything else.  It's not about play selection.  The play selection is just fine, and I'm happy that Toby has replaced the former OC.  This was a definite upgrade.

2) Jasper EARNED the victory.  They were the better team Friday night, and they deserved the win.  

I can guarantee you that most people who closely follow WO-S see it this way, but it's all overshadowed by the few homers (one in particular) who can't accept a loss for any reason.  Those who understand what's going on with the offense and who have a realistic view of what happened Friday night are not the ones who post as often as the homers I referred to.  

Congratulations Jasper.  

See, this is what I am talking about. Great post, Griff. You, along with the other "real" WOS fans call it like you see it, no "sugar coating". I really respect that.

I think you, Gas, Gun, kicker, Grad and the others know why I get on here and make my comments. It has nothing to do with WOS's players or coaches or how they played. It's all about a couple of "homers", that's all.

so let me summize what is going on in this thread:

1.  Jasper Won

2.  WOS lost

3.  Jasper dominated in all three phases of the game.

4.  WOS bandwagon claims a laundry list of excuses.

5.  Jasper counters with a longer laundry list, but still managed to win.

6.  Personnel issues for WOS???????? what the heck? Really personnel?  You could name 2 guys from the entire district that could start for WOS and you guys are claiming personnel issues?

7.  It's late I'm tired, but it puts a smile on my face reading every excuse weather man comes up with, because each one is more outlandish than the other..

8. Their overrated!!  ;D  ;)

I agree, Griff.  I have never seen so much disdain for a team as I have seen for WOS.  Everyone else on this board can make comments that their team threw too many interceptions, or their o-line didn't block, or their defense stunk up the field, but when WOS supporters mention what they witnessed on a particular night, win OR lose, they are considered whiners and excuse makers for why WOS didn't blow a team out of the water.   We were there and we watched the game and we see in living color what is going on on the field.  It sure gets old reading how much people (like AAW and Kville92) hate WOS and the sarcasm involved with their posts. 

You miss the whole point of my posts. I do not hate WOS. I have tremendous respect for the team, particularly the coaches of WOS. I really enjoy watching this team and I am envious of their yearly success. The work ethic that they instill over there in Mustang land is second to none. I wish others would follow suit.

I only post to get a rise out of the "homers" and call them on their "excuse" posts. I have nothing against WOS. I have become friends with a couple of the coaches over there and they assure me that they know where I am coming from. There is no hard feelings. I am just having fun, but not at WOS's expense, just a couple of fans.

You may find my posts annoying and might think I am being over zealous with them. I apologize for that, I mean nothing personal to the "real" fans, they know who they are. I just like giving the others some heck on here, one in particular.

Any team will look good whenever you get to the 1 or inside the 10 2 or 3 times a game and you snap over the head each time.

Execution is part of football. You make these points every week when wos does not play well. Maybe there just not as good as you think they are Coop.

That's not it, that was proven against 4A Nederland and LC-M. Plus a few D1 Schools think some of them are quite good. It's simple...Can't drop wide open passes, Can't have bad snaps, Can't throw interceptions RIGHT TO the Defender and just walk in for a TD.

Any team will look good whenever you get to the 1 or inside the 10 2 or 3 times a game and you snap over the head each time.

Execution is part of football. You make these points every week when wos does not play well. Maybe there just not as good as you think they are Coop.

That's not it, that was proven against 4A Nederland and LC-M. Plus a few D1 Schools think some of them are quite good. It's simple...Can't drop wide open passes, Can't have bad snaps, Can't throw interceptions RIGHT TO the Defender and just walk in for a TD.

These 2 are studs no doubt! The team on the other hand??? It takes more than 2.

coop you definately win the homer of the year award!!!

because in your mind the WOS qb through that ball directly to the Jasper LB because the Jasper coaches could in know way have taught that young man to maybe read the play and be in the right place to make the interception.

and in your mind the WOS center just started snapping the ball bad for no reason, it had nothing to do with him being out weighed byover a hundred pounds by the man lined up on him every play, it had nothing to do with the Jasper defensive scheme keeping pressure coming through the line (sometimes untouched) Let me ask you this how many bad snaps did he have in the first 3 games?

There is really some major microanalyzing going on about this game.  No doubt WO-S has some issues but they will be corrected I'm sure of this.  Jasper impressed me and somebody is going to have to deal with them for sure.  Need not get overexcited about all this just yet.  I was in the stands years ago when Jasper took down the 'Stangs in Orange, I was also in the Dome 3 months later when WO-S took home the trophy.

There is really some major microanalyzing going on about this game.  No doubt WO-S has some issues but they will be corrected I'm sure of this.  Jasper impressed me and somebody is going to have to deal with them for sure.  Need not get overexcited about all this just yet.  I was in the stands years ago when Jasper took down the 'Stangs in Orange, I was also in the Dome 3 months later when WO-S took home the trophy.

Very good point.

You are right Majestyk I beleive that WOS will get it together and make a run through the playoffs!! It is just just annoying that some (not all) WOS fans are giving Jasper absolutely no credit for winning the game. it is like they think that WOS would have lost even if Jasper had not shown up at all.

because in your mind the WOS qb through that ball directly to the Jasper LB because the Jasper coaches could in know way have taught that young man to maybe read the play and be in the right place to make the interception.

and in your mind the WOS center just started snapping the ball bad for no reason, it had nothing to do with him being out weighed byover a hundred pounds by the man lined up on him every play, it had nothing to do with the Jasper defensive scheme keeping pressure coming through the line (sometimes untouched) Let me ask you this how many bad snaps did he have in the first 3 games?

hang in there Coop, don't let these people get you down. keep making your point why jasper won, they will tire out before you will.

hang in there Coop, don't let these people get you down. keep making your point why jasper won, they will tire out before you will.

But admin, you are missing the point. Coop isn't stating how Jasper won, he is stating how WOS lost. Big difference!

Now that right there is funny!!!

1.  Jasper Won

2.  WOS lost

6.  Personnel issues for WOS???????? what the heck? Really personnel?  You could name 2 guys from the entire district that could start for WOS and you guys are claiming personnel issues?

7.  It's late I'm tired, but it puts a smile on my face reading every excuse weather man comes up with, because each one is more outlandish than the other..

9. It's They're not Their  ;D

1.  Jasper Won

2.  WOS lost

9. It's They're not Their  ;D

lol, if you want to correct someone, go have a field day with just about everything skipper says...

1.  Jasper Won

2.  WOS lost

they may or may not be overrated but they are good enough to stomp a mudhole in your bridge city cardinals!  ;) ;D