best coaching?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the PN-G staff. The changes from top to bottom have been outstanding. I have not seen this much energy and excitement from a PN-G team in a long time. I know some people will say it is too soon to make an evaluation of this staff, but from a fans view-point things couldn't be any better!

How do you quantify best and complete?  Is it experience both coaching and playing?  Winning percentage, upgrades to facilities, making something from nothing or managing talent?  What about moral fiber or luck. Would you factor in the percentage of players to receive scholarships.  Are there extra points designated for players that actually graduate from college programs...points deducted for players that end up in jail within five years of leaving the program. It's an interesting question, but it's hard to qualify any statements that go beyond the usual pissing match of our team has been better than yours for longer.

Guest Brubaker

No doubt PN-G has a good staff and are going in the right direction, but the answer to the question is West Orange-Stark, no room for argument.

WOS with Cornell Thompson... without him, they should take that name down off the stadium or at least add Thompson's name too it.  We all know who runs that program... always has, we all saw what happened when he left too.

Guest baseball25

Lumberton and its not even close, they have lost so many players the last 2 years and the coaches find a way to get the players to by in the system and its working....

Hands down...the Barbays.  Nothing needs to be said about Newton, period.  Anahuac and Coldspring have seen vast improvements in the last two seasons.  As long as they stay at the same schools that they're at, they will be contending.  All of the periphery (facilities, success rate after high school, etc.) depends on the culture of the respective towns.  Longstanding programs usually gain these items.  We are talking about football and character-building.  These guys are the best in the business.

I think the staff at Dayton definitely has to be in the discussion. I know that the Stewart expects a lot from his coaches and the time they put in definitely translates to friday nights.  Now what we are starting to see are former players come back and coach under stewart.  One thing that Stewart staff has done very well is develop players.  Dayton really hasn't had very many people transfer into the school due to the lack of jobs in the town, despite this, Stewart's staff has consistently put winners on the field.

Guest ECBucFan

Lumberton and its not even close, they have lost so many players the last 2 years and the coaches find a way to get the players to by in the system and its working....

I am thinking Lumberton, too. Creadure and staff has brought a team with zero playoff appearances in the past 30 or so to prominence, and they show every sign of staying at or near the top. Remarkable for a team without an abundance of athleticism.

Obviously Hooks and Barbay have had great sucess, but I always wonder "what if" Hooks had been at say, Bridge City and Barbay had been at say, Warren? Easy to win when you restock with NCAA-like talent each and every year, IMHO. 

You can be the best coach and get replaced if you fail to win year after year and so forth.Still you have to have a measure of talent,pinch of speed(can't coach that)And Believe.On another note;Scheduling scrimmages/pre-season games w/great reputation schools and against good coaching is a good measuring stick.Hooks,Barbay's,Stewart,Neuman,Price,Credeur(sorry if left your coach out)All of these fine coaches can bring home a Title w/good ingrediants and time to let the players rise so they can get the icing w/all the trimmings.I'm sure some players go to coaches for father type guidance outside the playing field.Some call it sports-It is EDUCATION not in classroom books.

IMO how could it not be Hooks or Barbay??  They have both won state titles (something we all want) and have had several players gone on to achieve success at the next level... If you are playing in 3A who do you have to go through each year....WOS.  If your in 2A who do you have to go through each year....Newton. I do think the JA at Kirbyville is knocking on the door and Credeur (spelling??) have done a heck of a job as well....Just one person's opinion...

The obivious is Hooks and Barbay.  I will also give a shout-out to Coach Washington and his O. C. Coach Cox of Central.  I don't know what they did against G-Ball but they call an excellent game offensively against West Brook.  None of that sideways passing when running out of the Spread.  Also, the QB's were coached up to the point to dump the pass down to the RB when nothing was open down field.  I think this Central team can go further than last years edition.....

Guest Burkeville Chronicle

Roy Harper of Burkeville...over 200 wins..ranks in the top 5 of that category in the history of Texas high school football....two state championships 1986 and 2001....he does not get the credit he deserves IMHO.

Id have to say the coaching at WO-S has been the best. They produce great defense, great athletes, obviously help out with athletic scholarships, and they just win, baby. Most importantly however is the longevity(they have been doing this for 30 years). I cannot stress this point enough. I love my Tribe, and my coaching staff looks incredible right now. But im looking at my lifetime as a whole, and its got to be hooks and his posse.

Guest JustAPlayersMom

Hands down...the Barbays.  Nothing needs to be said about Newton, period.  Anahuac and Coldspring have seen vast improvements in the last two seasons.  As long as they stay at the same schools that they're at, they will be contending.  All of the periphery (facilities, success rate after high school, etc.) depends on the culture of the respective towns.  Longstanding programs usually gain these items.  We are talking about football and character-building.  These guys are the best in the business.

All I can say about that is.......AMEN!!!

They have my vote.

okay since there is some arguement about "it just depends on what kind of talent is in your local area", what about this. What coaching staff from this area would you want to be coaching lets say this years ozen panthers. what staff could turn them around and get them on track to winning seasons

not dogging the panthers but thats the first team that came to my mind thats not having the best of starts