Men's Roster Announced

NickKBTV

2009-10 Lamar Men’s Basketball Roster Announced

15-player roster averages as the tallest team in school history

BEAUMONT, Texas – When the Lamar men’s basketball team begins individual workouts this week, they will do so with the tallest team in school history.

Fourth-year head coach Steve Roccaforte has assembled a 15-member roster with no student-athlete measuring under six feet. In fact, seven players are at least 6-7 and five top out at 6-9 or taller. The average height is 77.8 inches (6-5 ¾), just a bit taller than the previous tallest team of 77.7 inches in 2005-06.

Freshman Jonathan Garza is the shortest member of the team at 6-0. Sophomore Anthony Miles and junior transfer Kendrick Harris are each 6-1, followed closely by freshman Donley Minor at 6-2.

Junior transfer Reggie Mathis and sophomore transfer E.B. Davis both measure out at 6-4. Returning senior Ashton Hall and sophomore Charlie Harper are listed at 6-6, with senior Justin Nabors at 6-7.

Fifth-year senior Lawrence Nwevo is 6-8 and a trio of newcomers – freshman Stanford Brown, sophomore Justin Carter and freshman Justin Wesley – are all 6-9. Freshman Osas Ebomwonyi and junior Coy Custer will use their heights of 6-10 and 6-11, respectively, to work down low.

Roccaforte’s coaching staff remains intact with assistants Tic Price, Silvey Dominguez and Kermit Holmes joined by former letterwinner Darren Hopkins as the director of basketball operations. Hopkins played for Lamar from 2006-08 and earned his bachelor’s degree in general studies in May of 2008.

The support staff also has two additions in the form of athletic trainer David McDonald and undergraduate manager Matt Pace. Pace, a Beaumont native who prepped at Monsignor Kelly HS earned a letter as a walk-on last season after appearing in eight games.

The 2009-10 season, which features a school-record 18 home games, will begin on Nov. 13 against Huston-Tillotson. The home slate includes eight Southland Conference games and match-ups with long-time rivals Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Rice, Texas-Pan American and Tulane.

Non-conference road games in 2009-10 will include Denver, Hawaii, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Ohio and Texas Tech.

Season ticket renewals were sent out in early August and are due back to the Lamar Ticket Office by Sept. 25. For more information on tickets, call the ticket office at (409) 880-1715.

2009-10 Lamar Men's Basketball Roster (sorted by height) 

No.      Name                          Pos.    Ht.      Wt.      Cl.-Exp.          Hometown (High School/Last School)

10        Jonathan Garza          G        6-0      170      Fr.-HS            Pflugerville, Texas (Pflugerville HS)

1          Anthony Miles          G        6-1      170      So.-1L            Friendswood, Texas (Clear Brook HS)

23        Kendrick Harris          G        6-1      175      Jr.-JC              Los Angeles, Calif. (Jordan HS/LA Southwest JC)

22        Donley Minor            G        6-2      180      Fr.-HS            Los Angeles, Calif. (Luezinger HS)

31        E.B. Davis                  G        6-4      215      So.-JC            Chicago, Ill. (Lawrence Academy [Mass.]/LA Southwest JC)

0          Reggie Mathis            G        6-4      220      Jr.-JC              Tulsa, Okla. (Jenks HS/Northeastern Okla. A&M JC)

15        Ashton Hall                G        6-6      210      Sr.-2L              Kountze, Texas (Kountze HS/Angelina JC)

21        Charlie Harper            G        6-6      195      So.-1L            San Antonio, Texas (Madison HS)

24        Justin Nabors              F          6-7      205      R-Sr.-1L          Holly Springs, Miss. (Holly Springs HS/NW Miss. CC)

55        Lawrence Nwevo        F          6-8      270      R-Sr.-3L          Lagos, Nigeria (Towson Catholic (Md.) HS)

11        Justin Wesley            F          6-9      210      Fr.-HS            Fort Worth, Texas (North Crowley HS)

35        Stanford Brown          F          6-9      215      Fr.-HS            Dolton, Ill. (Whitney Young HS)

34        Justin Carter              F          6-9      225      So.-RS            New Orleans, La. (Austin HS/UT-Permian Basin)                   

33        Osas Ebomwonyi      F          6-10    215      Fr.-HS            Pflugerville, Texas (Pflugerville HS)

52        Coy Custer                C        6-11    260      R-Jr.-2L          League City, Texas (Clear Creek HS)

Guest coachacola

Did Coach Roc automatically add an inch or two to everyone's height?  ???  Custer was 6-10 last year, Nabors used to be 6-6, and wasn't Miles 5-11 last year?  For the freshmen coming in I guess they could have grown some the last year or two.  Just curious about it and I doubt it matters that much.

Mahoney never did improve enough to get playing time.  I think Williams had some attitude problems last year and maybe decided he didn't like it here.  Weren't Ybarra, Pace and Riley all walk-ons last year?  Matt Pace is now an undergraduate manager for the team while former player DHop is director of player operations.  Good for both of them.

I don't think the new big guys will bring much offense this year but should help out defensively.  Last year's team was terrible from behind the arc, hopefully some of these new guards can shoot it up.  I'm hoping Miles and Hall have a breakout year.  Custer and Nwevo should fill the post spot just fine.  I expect Nabors to take up the slack for the departed Jay Brown.

With no major injuries this should be a better team than last year.  We'll see if Coach Roc can mold a winning team from this group.

It is really hard to understand the delay in releasing the roster.  I don't have time to go back and pull all of the stats on these guys, but wasn't Kendrick Harris the Player of the Year in his JUCO conference and averaged 20+ points and around 8 assists per game.  I think he is the real deal at point guard which could put Miles as the 2 guard and backup point guard.  Justin Nabors was going to be our best player other than Dawkins last year and there is no reason to think he won't be a force this year.  Custer and Nwevo will be serviceable post players this year with some contribution from Osas.  If Charlie Harper continues to improve he will be a solid player.  I think Ashton Hall will also have a solid senior year.

I am cautiously optimistic about this group.  I'm ready to see some basketball.

Guessing:

Mahoney-never played, shouldn't have been here from the beginning.

Williams-had to play due to injuries but wouldn't have seen the court this season.

Ybarra-didn't adapt & never was happy.

Pace-never played.

Riley

Not sure if he would have played much anyway, but didn't Mahoney miss a year due to leg injury?  Looks like, on paper anyway, this year's team is probably a bit better than last year - or the potential is anyway.  Go Big Red...

Guessing:

Mahoney-never played, shouldn't have been here from the beginning.

Williams-had to play due to injuries but wouldn't have seen the court this season.

Ybarra-didn't adapt & never was happy.

Pace-never played.

Riley

I know you are a sport writer and a pretty good one, but I take exception to your assessment of the named players.

Mahoney played well early, and filled the role well until he got hurt and never was able to play up to the previous skill level.

Williams did play due to injuries, but he play above the rim much of the time and Skyer became known as SKY. He played will energy and should have played more.  I believe coachacola is more right in that he had an attitude problem and I think he maybe some problems with the law.

Ybarra, Pace and Riley were not quite at the level they need to be to play with Lamar.

None the less none of the said players will be missed this year.  I'm looking forward to the season and think that if the chemistry can gel, we should have a great season.

Miles was listed at 6'1" last year. Nabors was listed as 6'6". Custer was listed at 6'10", but he was taller than that. I thought he was 7'0" by now, because when he stood next to Brown, Worrell and Nwevo it was obvious that he was more than 2 to 3 inches taller than them.

Finally!!! Behind Nabors, Custer, and Nwevo, I hope one of the young freshmen big men will pick it up!

This group has to mesh fast.

Edit: And glad to see D-Hop back at Lamar, he was a great player and an even better guy, hope he does his job well for them.

Guest coachacola

I see a starting lineup of:

6-1  G Harris (no idea how good he is, replaces 5-7 Dawkins who wasn't 100% last year)

6-1  G Miles (replaces 5-11 McThay, best 3-point shooter last year, but Miles can rebound and drive to the basket)

6-6  F Hall (came on strong at end of the year, can he build on that?)

6-7  F Nabors (replaces 6-7 Brown, a more physical player than Nabors, but Nabors is more athletic, is he fully recovered?)

6-11 C Custer (replaces 6-8 Worrell who played hurt a lot, Custer was also hurt last year)

Nwevo, Harper, and the new JUCO guards should see a lot of playing time.  Hopefully some of these freshmen will surprise us.  Should be a lot deeper bench this year.  Good thing non-conference schedule is not as tough as last year's because they'll need some time to jell.

What happened to Brandon Moton?

I saw highlights on KFDM and saw a player (I'm guessing Harris), that dunked with no problem. It'll be fun to watch when we get out on the run.

Although I haven't seen them play yet, this team's long and lanky size remind me of memphis a few years back, long and fast.

Guest coachacola

I think Coach Roc has been trying since he got here to build a team like Memphis.  He's had to start from scratch and he won't get the caliber players that Memphis had, but if he gets some decent long and lanky players then he'll have some fun teams to watch that will win.  This is a young team and Roc is finally bringing in freshmen.  I think Tubbs will let Roc stay and develop these kids.

I was told walk-ons do not have to be on the roster yet. So Ybarra and Riley can still be on the team. I have class with Riley and he says he is on the team but who knows. Skyler Williams is no longer on campus. Mahoney graduated but could've come back and played as a 5th year senior but didn't want to sit the bench the whole year. NO worries though. The incoming players make up more than enough for the players leaving early. And Nabors is back 100%. Don't worry about any problems with his knee

Mahoney graduated but could've come back and played as a 5th year senior but didn't want to sit the bench the whole year. NO worries though.

Mahoney would have been a RS Junior not a 5th year Senior. He played his Freshman year (Lamar Sanders Junior year and 1st with LU) primarily as James Davis' baby sitter, RS the next year, then played sparingly last year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami