SCRIMMAGE!!! PNG vs PA Memorial tonight. Thoughts?/21-17 PN-G!!

Its my understanding that Memorial won the controlled part of the scrimmage 14-0.  When I got there, fans said no one scored.  I witnessed 2 Memorial TD's.  Since this is the case, isn't it safe to sau that the Titans won?  ( I know, I know, its a scrimmage.  I just want to see what both sides say)

did you get there at the beginning of the Varsity.  I know in the controlled part PAM scored 2 times on the Varsity second string defense.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the popular thing for biased fans to say at a scrimmage is "they only scored when our 2nd team was in." We hear it every year and then someone comes from the other team and says "it was starters or it was a mix of starters and bacukups, etc." Well here's my take on what I saw and I am not a fan of either team.

Memorial and PN-G first teams each got 12 plays to start. Neither team did much with their plays. 0-0 tie after 12 plays each.

PN-G 2nd team then got 12 plays on offense and did not move the ball one bit.

Memorial put in their backups and scored twice in 12 plays. #24 the RB and #16 the QB were both very impressive and should get some playing time this season. #24 looked to me like the fastest kid on the field all night.

The teams then played a 3 quarter scrimmage. PN-G scored on its first two drives in the 1st quarter. Doty was impressive throwing the ball mostly to Segura and DeRon. Harmon ran the ball well too. The Indians jumped out to a 14-0 lead.

Memorial countered with a 70 yard TD drive to cut it to 14-7. Memorial defense tightened up a bit the next two series. Memorial next had an impressive drive that got down to the 7 yard line and here is where the momentum turned in my opinion. On 1st and goal the Titans got inside the 5 on a run but it was called back for holding(good call). On the next play, the QB rolled out had an open WR in end zone, the PN-G defensive back closed well bumped into the WR right before the ball got there and intercepted it. It was a very close call, but turned the momentum.

PN-G then went 70 yards for a nice TD and a 21-7. Memorial drove at end of half and got a FG. 21-10.

I will attest that the 3rd quarter was backups and again Memorial's backups are far superior. It was mostly #16 and #24 again. Memorial scored easily to cut it to 21-17. PN-G did not move ball at all with 2nd team. Clock was continuously running and time ran at as Memorial had the ball in their own territory at end.

All and all I thought both teams looked good for a 1st scrimmage. Both have a good shot at playoffs in my opinion.

oth teams had broght spots, and both teams have things to work on. PNG's qb has one of the strongest arms I have seen in a while, and #88 can catch. They were a little suspect at stopping the run when Memorial ran right at them, but PNG's defense was real discipline when PAM tried running option plays. PAM is deep at RB and Stedman should start at qb. Their secondary is really the downfall of the defense right now. Crossing patterns killed them last night. Both teams should compete for playoff positions.

i think both teams showed signs of life which is a good thing based on the last year we endured. i also think there is lots of room for improvement from both squads, so lets see what the coaches see and the adjustments they make in the coming weeks and i think this will determine the directions of the programs.  lots of good talent in both camps lets see if the staffs can get the production out of what we see to be two relatively talented sidelines.  good luck to both schools.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833