Basketball Recruiting

I'm not a frequent poster on this site, but I'm old enough to remember every LU basketball coach all the way back to Jack Martin. I think ROC is the guy that we need. Like Jimmy Simmons, he's one of us. We had to go through some very bad years in Lamar leadership until we got a Pres that understands us and is not embarrassed by S/E Texas. ROC's game coaching is debateable for sure, but we need some stability...and he has a good staff...I don't want to go thru another Tom A. or Mike Deane and the like who never really liked Beaumont. Deane, fired early by Marquette, only had one good year when he inherited Grey G's seniors. He hasn't exactly lit it up at Wagner since either, has he? His greatest contribution to Lamar was teaching every local kid on the first 10 rows of the Montagne a whole new way to talk! I don't know why exactly ROC won't disclose his recruiting class, but I for one am giving him the benefit of doubt. Next season won't be much about recruits anyway...my opinion is that its all about who's gonna play the 5 spot. Can Custer and/or Nuevo step up and get 'er done? If not...let's talk 2010/2011..........

Evidently you do not come to see Roc coach and sit in the first 10 rows much then do you????  He lets it fly a few times a game as well. ;D ;D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coachacola

The best I can figure out this is who Lamar will have on the team this year:

4 freshmen:

Stanford Brown, 6'7 F from Chicago

Jonathan Garza, 5'10 PG from Pflugerville

Justin Wesley, 6'8 F from Dallas

Osas Ebomwonyi, 6'8 F from Pflugerville

2 JUCOs from Los Angeles Southwest in CA:

E.B. Davis, 6'4 2G (played freshman year at UTSA)

Kendrick Harris, 5'11 PG

3 players who sat out last year:

Justin Nabors, 6'6 F

Nwevo, 6'8 C

Brandon Moton, 6'5 SG

6 players returning:

Ashton Hall, 6'6 F

Anthony Miles, 5'11 G

Skyler Williams, 6'2 SG

Charlie Harper, 6'4 SG (he's 6'6 according to Bob West  ???)

Coy Custer, 6'10 C

Shane Mahoney, 6'1 PG

That's 15 players, and some of you have said a few players are on academic scholarships.  For the most part this is probably the team for the upcoming season.

The best I can figure out this is who Lamar will have on the team this year:

4 freshmen:

Stanford Brown, 6'7 F from Chicago

Jonathan Garza, 5'10 PG from Pflugerville

Justin Wesley, 6'8 F from Dallas

Osas Ebomwonyi, 6'8 F from Pflugerville

2 JUCOs from Los Angeles Southwest in CA:

E.B. Davis, 6'4 2G (played freshman year at UTSA)

Kendrick Harris, 5'11 PG

3 players who sat out last year:

Justin Nabors, 6'6 F

Nwevo, 6'8 C

Brandon Moton, 6'5 SG

6 players returning:

Ashton Hall, 6'6 F

Anthony Miles, 5'11 G

Skyler Williams, 6'2 SG

Charlie Harper, 6'4 SG (he's 6'6 according to Bob West  ???)

Coy Custer, 6'10 C

Shane Mahoney, 6'1 PG

That's 15 players, and some of you have said a few players are on academic scholarships.  For the most part this is probably the team for the upcoming season.

Was a story within the past month or so in one of the local newspapers where Roc mentioned that Justin Carter would be eligible this year after transferring and that he was another big guy that help down in the low post area.  Also what about the PG from New Mexico?  Just from what I could read he was possibly a bit better than

Garza.  I guess we will just have to wait a few more days to find out for sure.

Guest coachacola

Nuno Muandumba is the PG from Arizona that had given a verbal to Lamar last fall but I have a feeling he's not coming.  He was rated pretty high and maybe he received some better offers from the West Coast.  I don't think Roc would be bringing in Kendrick Harris if Nuno was coming.

I haven't heard a thing about Justin Carter.  Was he even on the team last year?  I remember his name on the roster but that's all I know about him.

I agree with Lazeek, announce the roster.  At least announce the guys who have signed on the dotted line.  Does he have to wait and announce the whole roster at once?  Or maybe this is just a matter of poor public relations.  Like the stadium renovations, they don't update us on the plans and keep us in the dark. 

Has anyone else noticed that the construction blog hasn't been updated since July 6th and it's now July 25th?  That's almost 3 weeks!!  Ridiculous!!

Justin Carter will be back....he's 6'8 230 lbs.....the returning guys have been playing pick up games quite a bit every week....the recruits won't be released until sometime next month when everyone is cleared to play from what i've been told

Carter played one year at UT-Permian Basin (I think DII) so perhaps he sat out last year as transfer? 

If I think anyone isn't coming it's E.B. Davis... I thought I remembered hearing he didn't qualify? But who knows.. I guess we'll find out who the recruits are when they are on campus.

If I think anyone isn't coming it's E.B. Davis... I thought I remembered hearing he didn't qualify? But who knows.. I guess we'll find out who the recruits are when they are on campus.

I think we'll find out who the recruits are when they suit up for that first game. ::)

I think we'll find out who the recruits are when they suit up for that first game. ::)

On ESPN recruiting page for Cleveland State it shows Nuno Muandumba/ Jonathan Garza / Osas Ebomwonyi  / and Stan Brown as verbally agreeing to sign with that University.  Perhaps just a typo or maybe LU lost some of the early commitments?

On ESPN recruiting page for Cleveland State it shows Nuno Muandumba/ Jonathan Garza / Osas Ebomwonyi  / and Stan Brown as verbally agreeing to sign with that University.  Perhaps just a typo or maybe LU lost some of the early commitments?

Hard to believe that four of our verballs backed out and signed with the same team. I supect this was a mistake. I thought I did read that Brown was still on the market.

Actually J Wesley from FB Hightower was on Cleveland State list as well, but it was announced a few months ago that he was not coming to Lamar - is going to I believe San Jac (this may be wrong school) JC.  

As I mentioned earlier, perhaps/hopefully this is a typo on ESPN's part - but it just seems odd that LU had all their scholarships accounted for, at least with verbal commitments, several months ago; but no recruits ever officially announced and it seems that there have been several players rumored to be coming here that were not among the original list.

Guest coachacola

ESPN has been showing Lamar's recruits going to Cleveland State for a few months now.  I'm sure it's some database error that they haven't bothered to correct.

I do like the makeup of this team, and since I'm an eternal optimist, they should be better than last year.  Here's why:

1. Dawkins wasn't 100% last year so he wasn't as good as his previous year.  Miles stepped up at the end of season and showed what kind of player he can be.  Miles is bigger and stronger than Dawkins so he should hold up for the whole season.  If Kendrick Harris comes to Lamar he'll probably play a lot at the point, and who knows how well Mahoney or Garza will play.  More depth than last year.

2. McThay was the team's best outside shooter last year, but he was undersized at the two guard.  The team has a lot more depth at this position, especially if Miles plays at this position.

3. Hall is back and he played really well to end the season.  He should have an outstanding season.

4.  Nabors is arguably just as good as Brown, maybe not as good rebounding, but a little better offensively.  He'll be rusty to start the season but if he's 100% recovered from his injuries he'll be fine.  With several big freshmen coming in there's more depth at forward than last year.

5. Custer and Nwevo will be better handling the center position than Worrell and Custer did last year.  Worrell was hurt a lot and Custer started to show signs of life.  Also, one of the freshmen could help out too.

Doesn't Lamar get that scholarship back that they lost last year?  And they've had way too many injuries these last few years.  I look for a relatively injury-free year.  I think the bad news for Lamar is that the SLC will be even tougher than last year.  I'll go out on a limb and say the SLC's RPI will be better than last year's 19 and will be better than the Sun Belt (again), the Summit and the MAC!!

Doesn't Lamar get that scholarship back that they lost last year?  And they've had way too many injuries these last few years.  I look for a relatively injury-free year.  I think the bad news for Lamar is that the SLC will be even tougher than last year.  I'll go out on a limb and say the SLC's RPI will be better than last year's 19 and will be better than the Sun Belt (again), the Summit and the MAC!!

You lost me here. I think the SLC will be much weaker this season. It's like a rebuilding year for everyone.

Guest coachacola

You lost me here. I think the SLC will be much weaker this season. It's like a rebuilding year for everyone.

Looking at who's returning, SFA and LU probably have the most holes to fill.  Most of the other schools had younger teams.  TAMU-CC will probably be a lot better, all the other top teams will probably just as good or a little better.  I'm not saying there's going to be a lot of great teams, just that overall there's not as many terrible teams like there used to be.

Just talked to a person who is "in the know" and they said that the roster is 90% set and that they are waiting to see who is qualified and who is not.  They said is everything falls to the good that this may be the best LU team in a long time!!!!  Hope they are right.  May end up being another season of high expectations and going home disappointed.

Well then I hope for some big time new additions... not that some of last  year's players can't do it this year but they need some help.

You know in past years we have always had some big scoring threat returning that we expected to lead the team to a championship, but each year we struggled if he (whoever he was) struggled because there was not alot of other guys to step up. This season may be just the opposite.

>Coy can score. I expect him to be a 10+ guy each night if he stays healthy.

>Nabors can score around the basket. Another 10+ guy.

>Hall came on big at the end of the year and proved he could shoot from outside. Another 10+ guy with an occasional outburst to 20.

>Harper should be improved over what was a promissing freshman year. I see him as a guy that will get you 8-10.

>Miles was an impressive freshman last year especially with his ability to get to the basket and score. Another 10+ guy.

>Harris lit it up in soCal JUCO. Another 10+ guy.

>Moton should provide us with another taller outside threat unlike the shorter (less than 6') guys we have had lately that strougled to get their shots off against taller opponents. Could be a 8-10 guy.

That's 65+ points a game right there from a host of players. The key is that anyone of these guys could score 20 on any night. This may be the most balanced attack we have had in years. Defensively we should improve as well because we will be longer. Just not sure how tough we will be around the basket without Worrell and Brown, but hopefully Nwevo will use his strength to his advantage.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami