Time to revisit conference talk

La. schools facing budget cuts and I personally don't think they will put competitive teams on field for several years.

This will drag the SLC down further, which hurts us.

California is dead. San Jose st might drop football. The WAC will die if it doesnt find fresh new members. They

won't find any out west.

Coachocola and friends had an interesting convo 2 years ago.

This is the hidden content, please

Plenty has changed since then. I actually like this...

WAC Central - North Texas, UTSA, Lamar, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, ULL

WAC Pacific - Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico State, Fresno State, Hawaii

Guest coachacola

There's a more recent thread about the WAC going to 10 teams and they bring up Texas State, UTSA, UNT and Lamar as possible additions.  It's been said that UNT has a standing invitation to join the WAC, so it's possible that Texas State, UTSA and UNT could join the WAC.  That would open up a spot in the Sun Belt for Lamar to join.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=26119

I think what's more important now is for Lamar to double their athletic budget from about $6.4 million last year to over $12 million in the next 3 years.  If Lamar is serious about FBS then they'll need the budget to support it.  I think they are on track with all the facility enhancements they are making, but can they find a way to bring in $5 or $6 million more a year?

I don't think the athletic department is pushing for the WAC, but I'll let you dream UNLV  ;).

I think a new "SWC" might be in the works. With schools like Lamar, Texas State, UNT, Rice?, UTSA, UTEP, maybe SHSU.

Those are the only ones I've heard off the top of my head. I want to say some LA schools like Tech and ULL but not sure.

If they split the divisions as noted I think the benefits of a stronger conference would make up the difference in travel costs.  Realistically one would be talking about a maximum of two conference football games outside of the travel distances for the current Southland and three for basketball if you play everyone in your divison and half of the other in football and do basketball the same as done now in the Southland.  I know for other sports the travel may be a bigger issue but if you can get some decent TV money and can improve the nonconference schedules it might be worth it.

There's a more recent thread about the WAC going to 10 teams and they bring up Texas State, UTSA, UNT and Lamar as possible additions.  It's been said that UNT has a standing invitation to join the WAC, so it's possible that Texas State, UTSA and UNT could join the WAC.  That would open up a spot in the Sun Belt for Lamar to join.

This is the hidden content, please

I think what's more important now is for Lamar to double their athletic budget from about $6.4 million last year to over $12 million in the next 3 years.  If Lamar is serious about FBS then they'll need the budget to support it.  I think they are on track with all the facility enhancements they are making, but can they find a way to bring in $5 or $6 million more a year?

The WAC will not take 3 teams. The WAC would need to build a 6 team division in this region for this to work. So La-tech and 5 more teams.

I don't think the athletic department is pushing for the WAC, but I'll let you dream UNLV  ;).

I think a new "SWC" might be in the works. With schools like Lamar, Texas State, UNT, Rice?, UTSA, UTEP, maybe SHSU.

Those are the only ones I've heard off the top of my head. I want to say some LA schools like Tech and ULL but not sure.

UTEP and Rice leave CUSA to play in your SWC. How about UT too?  Are you sure you aren't the one dreaming.

Besides, I never said this would happen

WAC Central - North Texas, UTSA, Lamar, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, ULL

WAC Pacific - Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico State, Fresno State, Hawaii

But I do like it. LU would get regular exposure on the west coast. PLus more money in the WAC, better tv deals,

and a travel partners. What LU saves in travel in the SLC is less than what they can make in this version of the WAC.

La Tech will not take part in letting ULL into any conference. I just do not see why people continue to think that. Same goes for ULM.

I do agree that the WAC would have to form a "Western Division" and I am not sure that New Mexico State would love to be in the 'Eastern' side of it.

What if the WAC had 10 football schools and two non-football (i.e. Denver)? No point in having a WAC football championship game. Would be too late to scramble schools halfway across the country.

And as noted numerous times before, SHSU will not watch both TXST and LU go FBS. SHSU is on pace for an enrollment over 20,000 by 2020. Another athletic fee increase - now that we have a pro-athletics SGA president - could fuel things even more.

SHSU is no worse than ULM in terms of facilities. The budgets are relatively comparable, especially if SHSU went to FBS.

Guest coachacola

La Tech does think of itself as better than UL-L and UL-M and they probably wouldn't want any SLC schools moving into the WAC.

The WAC has 9 teams now with only La Tech and New Mexico State being close to Texas.  I don't see the WAC dropping any school to add another Texas school, so the "Eastern Division" would have to include La Tech, NMSU and Utah State along with 3 Texas schools. 

Boise State is the WAC's top football team so if they left the quality of the football in the WAC would drop which could really affect how much TV money the WAC brings in.  Any Texas teams in the WAC would be taking a gamble.  It could pay off big or it could backfire and revenue would drop while expenses go up.

SHSU going FBS along with Lamar would not be a bad thing.  SHSU would be Lamar's travel partner as visiting teams would fly into IAH and both schools are within 2 hours of the airport.  SHSU would need to upgrade both the football stadium and the basketball arena.  SHSU's budget last year was $7.9 million, so with more student fees and increased fundraising they should be able to support a $10 to $12 million budget pretty easily.

If Texas State and UTSA leave the SLC then I don't see why LU and SHSU would stick around.  The conference will just bring in more D1 newbies which would really push the SLC even further down the rung.

SHSU going FBS along with Lamar would not be a bad thing.  SHSU would be Lamar's travel partner as visiting teams would fly into IAH and both schools are within 2 hours of the airport.  SHSU would need to upgrade both the football stadium and the basketball arena.  SHSU's budget last year was $7.9 million, so with more student fees and increased fundraising they should be able to support a $10 to $12 million budget pretty easily.

Updating the football stadium is a must. The basketball arena is comparable to several Sun Belt facilities, if not better (including current ones at ULM, NT and Troy). Not much needs to be spent there.

If Texas State and UTSA leave the SLC then I don't see why LU and SHSU would stick around.  The conference will just bring in more D1 newbies which would really push the SLC even further down the rung.

SFA too. I think they need to be included in the group. Ultimately, it is the Texas schools who have been in Div I a good while who are leaving the rest (the La. schools) behind. It's not fair, but it is a money game and the La. schools have operated with one hand tied behind their back for so long and are really starting to feel that hurt.

If the WAC wants ULL in the deal, tough for Tech. Besides Tech sinking ship can no longer put ego ahead

of it's finance. Tech can not remain on that island alone forever.

The WAC is not Boise st dependent. Boise st can drop its winning ways. Another team in the WAC could take it's place.

Fresno st and Hawaii were once powers and still can return to power.

SHSU will do nothing it can't support, reguardless of Texas st and Lamar. I predict SHSU won't move up before 2025.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coachacola

Our good friend TexasTerror suggested this for the SLC in 2015:

SLC 2015

SLC North: Tarleton State UCA, UCO (Central Oklahoma), Oral Roberts, UT-Arlington, Northwestern State, Stephen F. Austin

SLC South: Sam Houston State, Lamar, McNeese, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern, Prairie View A&M

Other ideas are mentioned throughout the thread: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61418

This does not get me excited at all.  Oral Roberts is a good basketball and baseball school but they don't play football.  Prairie View A&M?  Aren't they terrible in everything?  If you ask me this setup and the other suggestions are pretty depressing.

Our good friend TexasTerror suggested this for the SLC in 2015:

I was just having fun - do not see that version coming to life. Trying to give support to my friend Panther88 ;)

Yeah right. This is your dream conference.

I wouldn't mind seeing the SWC brought back.  Lamar, SHSU, SFA, UTSA, Texas State, UTEP, Rice, North Texas, SMU and La Tech would make a good conference i think.  North Texas has not been in the top half of the Sun Belt for a few years now.  UTEP and SMU can't compete in C-USA for some reason and La Tech has not been competitive in the WAC for years and it would cut down on there travel budget getting out of the WAC.  As far as a bowl game for the conference they could take a spot in the Independence Bowl cause it seems like the SEC and Big 12 have not had a representative from both conferences in the same year for a while but could be mistaken.  Besides the Independence Bowl was created for the Southland Conference champion to begin with.

I wouldn't mind seeing the SWC brought back.  Lamar, SHSU, SFA, UTSA, Texas State, UTEP, Rice, North Texas, SMU and La Tech would make a good conference i think.  North Texas has not been in the top half of the Sun Belt for a few years now.  UTEP and SMU can't compete in C-USA for some reason and La Tech has not been competitive in the WAC for years and it would cut down on there travel budget getting out of the WAC.  As far as a bowl game for the conference they could take a spot in the Independence Bowl cause it seems like the SEC and Big 12 have not had a representative from both conferences in the same year for a while but could be mistaken.  Besides the Independence Bowl was created for the Southland Conference champion to begin with.

SMU has too much money to be in a conference with schools at our level.

I know SMU has tons of money but they are not competitive on the field.  They could possibly be one of the top teams if the new "SWC" was formed and it would help build up there program and with Jones running the show up there who knows what would happen.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin