Orangefield ISD receives 21 applications for AD position..Final 4 Announced!

Great post BBallgod!  You are right about Paul Pewitt, they have great athletes.  They have one in the NFL and the year they went to state they had a kid who was the Offensive and Defensive POY for the state.  One of the best high schoolers I have ever seen.  He won't have that luxery at Orangefield. 

I'm not sure what was said in the Phillips/Welch phone conversation but the guy has the best resume of anyone.  He was at Waller for 18 yrs. so its not like he moves around a lot.  I've heard he's the type of guy that does things his way, he's a big guy with a strong personality, and he won't back down from pressure.  Maybe that has something to do with it too.

I would like to see them get someone with experience, but if they pass on that, I hope they get someone like Faust who has been in larger schools, worked for some very good coaches and has some good ideas.  If a guy has never been a head coach I would look at who he has worked for in the past, thats a good indicator of how he might operate.  Faust has worked for some really good guys at a higher level, and guys like Bolton have worked for Theriot, Moody and the likes.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BigNumbNut, I have read your posts (only because I can't block you) and determined you have no clue about what you post.  You constantly state opinion as fact.  You are an idiot.  If anyone knows how I can continue to read posts while blocking NumbNuts, please let me know so I am not subjected to his rediculous uneducated statements.

Who has he worked for that is good?  Who did he work for at Orangefield?  I'm sure it was a great one like Moody.  The bottom line is they need someone that is proven.  What has Bolton done?  They don't need to play Russian roulette with every hire to see who will turn out good? 

BBallcoach, tell me where I missed the boat?  Come on!  The should have at least interviewed Phillips but instead were scared off for some reason.  Probably his personality.  For years and years they hire someone with no experience who will serve as a "yes" man, and someone who they can pay their poor salary too.  Probably why Long left.  In hiring a coach that has no head coach experience what would you look for?  Would you not look at who they have worked and learned under?  I hope so.  If you do that would probably disqualify Bolton!!!!!!!!

Phillips had a losing record last season and for some reason wants out of Greenville.  Notice I did not say he wanted to come to OF but that he wanted out of Greenville.  For the record, Bolton has been a finalist for several jobs and I guess you have never met him because he is a no nonsense fired up coach.  Hardly a yes man.  But once again I will defer to Bignut as he has much more insight on all of this than anyone.

Everyone likes stats. Here are some of the records of Head Coaches that Coach Bolton worked under. I wouldn't go as far as to say Coach Bolton has not gained experience from successful coaches.

2006  21-AAA      6    4    0    Claude Tarver

2005  24-AAA      9    2    0    Claude Tarver

2004  24-AAA      6    5    0    Claude Tarver

2003  21-AAA      4    6    0    Claude Tarver

2002  21-AAA    11    2    0    Claude Tarver

2001  22-AAA      6    5    0    Claude Tarver

2000  22-AAA      7    3    0    Claude Tarver

1999  24-AAA      5    5    0    Claude Tarver

1998  24-AAA      5    6    0    Claude Tarver

1997  24-AAA      7    4    0    Claude Tarver

1996  24-AAA      7    4    0    Claude Tarver

1995  22-AAA      8    1    1    Claude Tarver

1994  22-AAA      9    3    0    Claude Tarver

1993  23-AAA      9    2    1    Claude Tarver

1992  23-AAA      6    3    1    Claude Tarver

1991  24-AAA    10    3    0    Claude Tarver

1990  24-AAA    11    2    0    Claude Tarver

1989  24-AAA    10    2    0    Claude Tarver

1988  24-AAA    11    1    0    Claude Tarver

1987  20-AAA      3    7    0    Claude Tarver

1986  20-AAA      2    7    1    Claude Tarver

2000  24-AAAA    8    3    0    Fred Bolton

1999  24-AAAA    12    1    0    Fred Bolton

1998  24-AAAA    7    3    0    Fred Bolton

1997  24-AAAA    6    4    0    Fred Bolton

1996  24-AAAA    7    2    1    Fred Bolton

1995  24-AAAA    7    3    0    Fred Bolton

1994  24-AAAA    6    4    0    Fred Bolton

1993  19-AAAA    7    5    0    Fred Bolton

1992  19-AAAA    7    5    1    Fred Bolton

1991  22-AAAA    5    5    0    Fred Bolton

1990  22-AAAA    2    8    0    Fred Bolton

2004  20-AAAA    3    7    0    David Williams

2003  20-AAAA    5    5    0    David Williams

2002  20-AAAA    2    8    0    David Williams

2001  20-AAAA    3    6    0    David Williams

2000  20-AAAA    2    8    0    David Williams

1999  20-AAAA    3    7    0    David Williams

1998  20-AAAA    4    6    0    David Williams

1997  20-AAAA    11    3    0    David Williams

1996  20-AAAA    5    5    0    David Williams

1995  20-AAAA    9    2    0    David Williams

1994  20-AAAA    11    1    0    David Williams

All-Time Winningest Coaches List

T88.  Les Johnson                Bastrop                  185  154    5

Danny Faust did in fact play at LU in the late 80's, and finished at Southwest Texas State upon the cancellation of football at LU.  He played RB and was a great athlete.  He is an outstanding coach and I believe he would fit in well at OF.  He is a good family man and would be a good addition at OF. I believe he can get the most out of the kids.  And, he can handle the mess associated with being an AD.

Make a bold move, shock the world OF, name the baseball coach as your AD.and let him name the football coach.

8) We had one of them for about fifteen years by the name of Al Spangler.

I guess they will determine a head coach by a last man standing contest the way they are dropping like flies.  Long and Faust were my two favorites since they wouldn't consider Phillips, who was the most qualified candidate.  Long and Faust must have thought the $63,000 they are gonna pay was a little too pathetic considering the trouble they will be facing next year.  Either that or they knew they would go for someone else.  What I find funny is that they will interview Bolton, Dubois, and Rankin and not Phillips.  I also think it is funny that you say he wants out of Greenville and not "interested" in Orangefield.  A coach of his caliber and they look for reasons not to bring him in for a interview.  Experience, seasoned winner, kids coach, and a solid leader, and thats not good enough for the Field, so bring in a rookie that "knows the area."  Too funny!  I saw this one coming, and if Huckaby don't get the job it will be same song, different verse.  Pass up someone who is proven for a rookie that will appease the school board and sup.  By the way, I know Bolton.  I like him and think he's a good guy, but about the 5th or 6th choice on this list unless you use Orangefield logic.

As usual you are on top of "it" Bignut.  So with your years of experience you think that a coordinator should be considered as long as it is the ones that you in your vast knowledge picks.  More to the job than just coaching and your money is off as well for the job.  I too would have like to have met Phillips but I want someone who wants to be here not just out of there.  I hear he has his name all over the state but no one else is jumping either, guess they do not have bignut to do their hiring like we do.  We are so blessed.

BigNut I don't understand why you live in OF.  You trash the "athletes" they have (or don't have in your opinion).  You trash the school board,  the supe and the rest of the administration.  It seems as though you second guess every decision that anyone makes and it must always be their fault.  It could not have been Long's decision to stay at Kelly because they increased his pay to keep him.  Faust couldn't have decided to pull his name out because of family issues.  It is always the supes fault.  Not calling Phillips in for an interview couldn't have been because Phillips said something on the phone that just would not fit at OF.  You know the place so good since you have been around so long.  Seriously, BigNut, this same old blame the admin. is getting old.  Get someone in there who will motivate and bring some energy.  Have discipline and hold the kids accountable.  Support all the sports and the coaches who work for him.  Let the coaches coach and lead in them in a positive manner.  I don't care if it is someone with experience or not.

Wildcatter,  your next post will be number 100 so make it a good one.

The money is way off?  Not what I was told by a very good source!  I'm not sure you know how much.  If it was a decent salary they would have more interest besides mediorce coordinators.

Wildcatter, how well do you think you can get to know someone on the phone?  Is that how you operate.  Instead of getting the best guy in for a one-on-one and looking him in the eye, you settle for a phone conversation and find reasons not to interview him.  Look at the pool you are left with now.  Take Huckaby out and you have no experience from three guys who have had little coordinating success in their past.  Good call.  I don't understand how you think Phillips wanted to be outta Greenville and didn't care about Orangefield.  How did your telephone interviews go with the rest of them?  Could you hear the sincerity in their voices?  How do you know if they are "for real" or just pulling your leg.  You don't, and thats what makes not interviewing Phillips more stupid.  I'm sure if Bridge City comes open in a few years and they offer $7 or 8,000 more in salary you expect a Bridge City boy to stay at Orangefield, what about the LCM boys.  Please.  I was expecting more this time around, but it is the same ole penny pinching, power/political struggle, as the last 30 years with a "yes" man and hiring the 6th or 7th best person for the job.  If Huckaby pulls his name or doesn't get the job it will be the same ole BS than with Morrison, Wallace, Foreman, Theriot, and so on.  Afraid of hiring someone qualified, who is proven and do whats right for the program and not the "community".  Surely Orangefield's dismal past hasn't had anything to do with hiring inexperienced people and the wrong person time after time, would it?

Your sources are way off much like your spelling.  I agree with bballgod, since you have arrived from Splendora you have done nothing but dog the OF athletes and given every reason as to why we can't compete in this district and beat anyone.  I can tell you that some have pulled their names out for personal reasons and based upon the people who know you that I have spoken to I understand why you say what you do.  Go to Greenville, talk to Phillips and if it goes good then stay there and be his assistant.  Without his sons he has not had alot of success, see 2-8 last year on previous playoff team.  Why would someone who said he was looking forward to the next 10 years be so anxious to leave after one horible season?  Running from somewhere, not to somewhere.

"Without his sons he has had little success."  Wrong.  Look at his career record at Waller.  Any success he has had with or without his sons is much much better than 3 of the 4 people left on the list.  But then again, you would not to be able to turn Phillips into a "puppet" like someone with no experience.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder