PINTO DIRECTOR'S TOURNAMENT

I saw some really good talent in Port Arthur this past weekend.  I feel that the real difference is the amount of kids that each community has to chose from and the fact that some leagues keep players together!!!!  Vidor and Orange keep their kids together.  I am not sure about Groves and PA, but I know that TC starts from scratch each year.  This is a hude disadvantage for the TC players and teams.  With that being said how does everyone feel that All Stars will fair.  I feel after seeing games this weekend that this is how I would rank them.  Vidor is the best by far.............as far as Orange, TC and Port Arthur I feel any of those three could beat each other.  Jefferson County is down this year.  What is the deal over there to only have one team in the Director's tourney and only two teams in the entire league.

I think another thing that helps Vidor is that our better players still play league when it starts. I think its great that the Dads and Moms still support league play and the kids like it because they get to play with there friends that they might not get to play with if they went strictly select.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Astros squeaked out another win in a very close 16-15 game with the Indians.  The Indians have really come a long way and gave us all we wanted tonight.  Great game guys.

Wed. Semi final matchups

6:00  Rangers vs. Cubs

7:30  Astros vs. Angels

There should be some exciting baseball tomorrow night.  Good Luck to everyone.

Lazeek,

Vidor certainly seems to be strong based on the Director's Tournament outcome.

Next you have to look back 2 years and remember that Orange had an awesome Shetland All-Star team that was barely edged out by Vidor.  Had it not been so wet, you could have had a different outcome.  I have reason to believe that most of those kids are still in the league and they were spread out among the Orange teams.  Add in a very savy, veteran coach and I think Orange will be in the mix.

Twin County's team finished 3rd that year.  It seems to me from watching in Port Arthur this weekend that they have a number of very big bats.  Combine that with the fact that I did not get to see the Rockhounds (which has some big bats as well).  Last year's Shetland All-Star team was strong and I am sure that some 7 year olds will help.  I don't know who will be the coach, but they have lots of coaches with lots of experience.

Port Arthur looks to be the most improved from 2 years ago.  Just look how much stronger the Shetland team was last year compared to the year before.  From what I can tell, no one will have bats bigger than them.  They have lots of kids that can make incredible plays.  And if The Goat is promising a personal touch, then Upgrade them right there.

Groves has clearly lost numbers.  I have to think that based on that alone that it would be hard for them to compete, but I have not seen any of their teams.

Just my 2 cents

I saw some really good talent in Port Arthur this past weekend.  I feel that the real difference is the amount of kids that each community has to chose from and the fact that some leagues keep players together!!!!  Vidor and Orange keep their kids together.  I am not sure about Groves and PA, but I know that TC starts from scratch each year.  This is a hude disadvantage for the TC players and teams.  With that being said how does everyone feel that All Stars will fair.  I feel after seeing games this weekend that this is how I would rank them.  Vidor is the best by far.............as far as Orange, TC and Port Arthur I feel any of those three could beat each other.  Jefferson County is down this year.  What is the deal over there to only have one team in the Director's tourney and only two teams in the entire league.

I adressed this issue 15 or so yrs back along with the 'powers in charge' picking the All-Star coach no matter his record, I was told then how good this idea works, at that time I had coached at Buna LL, Vidor Pony and then TC, I was basicly told even tho TC was the only one using that approach all others were WRONG. One thing I liked most then was the Vidors All Star coach (me) was given 2 picks no matter what the ballot was, one of which barely made the 'B' team but was my leadoff hitter and started in CF every game for me. BTW we did win the district that yr and almost took the next level in Katy....

I think another thing that helps Vidor is that our better players still play league when it starts. I think its great that the Dads and Moms still support league play and the kids like it because they get to play with there friends that they might not get to play with if they went strictly select.

There are alot of us that still love league ball. Unfortunately the league doesn't work with the kids and coaches that choose to also play select (better competition). It does deplete the league to a certain extent of not only players but good coaches. I hope next year we can find a way to work together instead of continuing to butt heads.

There are alot of us that still love league ball. Unfortunately the league doesn't work with the kids and coaches that choose to also play select (better competition). It does deplete the league to a certain extent of not only players but good coaches. I hope next year we can find a way to work together instead of continuing to butt heads.

Can someone please explain how BC does it -- they manage to keep their league strong (900 plus kids -- that is 500 more than Vidor) and still play Select (I assume).  If someone knows, please explain. 

I might be wrong but, I believe BC has kids from ,Orangefield, WOS, LCM  and BC. and another thing is Vidor has a little league that it is not as strong as PONY, but still it takes kids away. I think BC has more of a larger area to choose from.

TC has a large area to choose from but not alot of kids play.  TC gets kids from Sour Lake, China, Nome and other small communities.  I think that the number of kids this year is around 280.  Obviously the more you have the more options you have.  I feel TC does a great job with the kids that it has, but how can TC get more kids to play that are not playing now???

I might be wrong but, I believe BC has kids from ,Orangefield, WOS, LCM  and BC. and another thing is Vidor has a little league that it is not as strong as PONY, but still it takes kids away. I think BC has more of a larger area to choose from.

I don't think that explains the number.  Don't forget, there is a huge Orange Pony league (larger than Vidor) so Orange is not likely losing that many kids to BC.  I understand that Orange had a small LL that was not restarted after Rita and BC took those kids.  But, I have not heard that BC is taking Orange PONY kids. 

The truth is that BC does a great job at their LL given the size of their community.  I would like to know how they work with Select -- seems like they still have plenty of talent in League ball. 

I don't think that explains the number.  Don't forget, there is a huge Orange Pony league (larger than Vidor) so Orange is not likely losing that many kids to BC.  I understand that Orange had a small LL that was not restarted after Rita and BC took those kids.  But, I have not heard that BC is taking Orange PONY kids. 

The truth is that BC does a great job at their LL given the size of their community.  I would like to know how they work with Select -- seems like they still have plenty of talent in League ball. 

They do a great job working with select players instead of working against them. In the past, (not sure about the present) in Orange, a player was penalized if he played select ball and it interfered with league ball. We are trying to get league to work with the select players and coaches. Obviously the most important part is the players.

I would agree with TD on the fact that BCLL works with the kids that play both league and select. 

I live very near the BCLL park and we play in Orange due to several factors.  BCLL has a great organization and we have played one year there but Orange Pony offered more convenience and the fact my youngest could "play up" over his age group at the time.  I plan to play in Orange for two more years unless things change.

BC is a small community and the league only draws from BC and Orangefield.  I only know of maybe one kid that lived in Orange and played BCLL and I think he is only select now.  I might be way off but I do not think there is much infusion from outside the BC area.  They do a good job of capturing all the available players and the park is packed every night of the week except Sunday.  I think every boy in BC plays ball over there.

Angels v. Cubs tomorrow night for Championship.  We have played them twice and lost.  They are solid all around with a good, smart coach.  I think our squad is better now.  PA has done a great job -- thanks for all the work to make a great tournament. 

Just got word that the Angels won.  Those kids are tough, and definitely well deserving of the championship.  Congratulations to the Cubs on a great run at the title, yall played strong throughout the tourney.  All the Vidor teams made us proud this week, we faced tough competition all around and were able to put a few wins together.

I would also like to send  a big thanks to the crew at PA.  Yall ran an awesome tournament. 

Congrats to the Angels.  They have an awesome team.  We really thought we had a shot at it tonight.  We started strong but the Angels finished much stronger than we started.  They earned and deserved their hats tonight. 

Many thanks to Port Arthur.  They did a great job hosting the tournament this week.  Thank you very much for making the tournament possible for all of the kids.

I think the all-star teams to be  from vidor little league would question your statement that their league isn't as strong. There may be a few more kids in vybl but i would say the talent is comparable. Although we do let every kid play every game.

I think the all-star teams to be  from vidor little league would question your statement that their league isn't as strong. There may be a few more kids in vybl but i would say the talent is comparable. Although we do let every kid play every game.

How many kids play at Vidor LL?  PONY has about 400. 

I wasn't  trying to say anything negative about Vidor LL. I was just making a comment about the numbers.I apologize if you took it that way. And we also let every kid play every game, and all the way to pony we bat the line up not just nine.

I wasn't  trying to say anything negative about Vidor LL. I was just making a comment about the numbers.I apologize if you took it that way. And we also let every kid play every game, and all the way to pony we bat the line up not just nine.

Well at least one of the teams in the Pony division does anyway.  Great job guys.  We looked really strong in Shetland and Pinto.  Congrats

apolopy not needed....i knew what you meant, just stirrin the pot.  :) the reason bcll, ned, etc. have strong little leagues is that they get every ball player in their area. (excluding a few select kids....most select kids play both) there is no competiton from another league. they also only have one all-star team for each age group...9,10,11, etc. their all-star teams are usually very good. they basically get the best kid off of each team.. sometimes two kids off of a team..sometimes none. bridge city's boundary is pretty big. there was a deweyville based little league called twin county ll that folded after rita. they are now in vidor's district, but it's difficult to pull a lot of kids because of travel time for practices and games. good luck to all vidor baseball kids and coaches...we'll be together before you know it for frosh ball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder