newton and wo-s

newton, has always been one of the best teams in the state.newton   has one of the best coaches in this great state of texas ,his record proves it and the fans there are super

They might have one of the best coaches because of his record. He might be great to the kids and community like has been said, but the way he talked about some teams to the media is just crazy to me.  Growing up listening to Coach Hooks and hearing him say positive things about teams that we are about crush is different than what happens in Newton.  I don't have the article, but it was talked about on here last season.  I may have just opened a can of worms, but I don't care.  I'm watching the NCAA Basketball Finals and its boring and baseball season is just too long. 

People have made way too much about this. If you are young or new to the area you may not know about Coach Barbay and his attitude. He did not say anything that was not true. The EC people were offended, but Newton blew them away in the playoffs with no effort. The way Coach Barbay has ALWAYS been is he pulls no punches and tells you what he thinks. If honesty in a question's answer is not what you want, don't ask him. He expresses confidence in his teams and sets very high goals for them and expects them to be reached. The kids seem to respond to this as his record has shown. Yea, we're down right now(only made it to the quarter finals last year) but we will be back.

Guest ECBucFan

The EC people were offended, but Newton blew them away in the playoffs with no effort. The way Coach Barbay has ALWAYS been is he pulls no punches and tells you what he thinks. If honesty in a question's answer is not what you want, don't ask him.

For what its worth, a lot of "EC people" feel the Barbay dodged EC when the Thomas, McDonald, Trammel group was there in 06 and 07. Yeah, the last years playoff blowout was a forgone conclusion; but the 08 squad bore very little resemblance to the two before it. EC requested the home & away with Newton in 06-07, and Barbay refused...then went on-air after the 08 game and said "they ain't no good" or words to that effect. That wasn't "honesty", that was gall. 

newton, has always been one of the best teams in the state.newton   has one of the best coaches in this great state of texas ,his record proves it and the fans there are super

They might have one of the best coaches because of his record. He might be great to the kids and community like has been said, but the way he talked about some teams to the media is just crazy to me.  Growing up listening to Coach Hooks and hearing him say positive things about teams that we are about crush is different than what happens in Newton.  I don't have the article, but it was talked about on here last season.  I may have just opened a can of worms, but I don't care.  I'm watching the NCAA Basketball Finals and its boring and baseball season is just too long. 

People have made way too much about this. If you are young or new to the area you may not know about Coach Barbay and his attitude. He did not say anything that was not true. The EC people were offended, but Newton blew them away in the playoffs with no effort. The way Coach Barbay has ALWAYS been is he pulls no punches and tells you what he thinks. If honesty in a question's answer is not what you want, don't ask him. He expresses confidence in his teams and sets very high goals for them and expects them to be reached. The kids seem to respond to this as his record has shown. Yea, we're down right now(only made it to the quarter finals last year) but we will be back.

So the next time we play Coach Hooks should say, "Who cares about Newton.  Those guys are horrible.  They have never beaten me.  Why would we be scared of abunch of losers that has never beaten WOS?"

No.

These are kids.  Its acceptable in College or Pro.

So the next time we play Coach Hooks should say, "Who cares about Newton.  Those guys are horrible.  They have never beaten me.  Why would we be scared of abunch of losers that has never beaten WOS?"

No.

These are kids.  Its acceptable in College or Pro.

That only works for the supernatural Barbay  ::)

why all he 'hate' against 2A football?  seems to me some teams might want to drop in classification to win a state championship, or at least the opportunity to play for one.

I don't hate 2A football. I made my statement based on what I wanted to do for my kids. 2A doesn't get near the exposure that 4A or 5A gets. I know athletes are where you find them and the theory is they will be found. I agree with that to an extent. However, I know a lot of kids that have gotten to go play college ball because a scout was there to watch another player.

why all he 'hate' against 2A football?  seems to me some teams might want to drop in classification to win a state championship, or at least the opportunity to play for one.

I don't hate 2A football. I made my statement based on what I wanted to do for my kids. 2A doesn't get near the exposure that 4A or 5A gets. I know athletes are where you find them and the theory is they will be found. I agree with that to an extent. However, I know a lot of kids that have gotten to go play college ball because a scout was there to watch another player.

True statements td.

There are some GREAT 3A & 2A players from the past that have gone on to do well in college ball and beyond, but for the most part the larger classifications get WAY more exposure and notoriety than smaller schools.  There are many reasons for this and every one of them is relevant and valid.

Why would you want to drop down to have a shot at a championship?  That's like saying "I hope this teacher grades on a curve."  You might "look better", but you still haven't really accomplished what you wanted. 

a good number of athletes from hemphill have been noticed on the 2A level:

Ben Wilkerson = LSU - All American - National Championship= Remington Award as nation's top lineman

Keldrick Holman - SFA - All American DB

Blake Martin - Sam Houston All American TE

Larron Singleton, Scott Morgan, Ed Henson - SFA

Willis Washington - Trinity Valley - Central Oklahoma

Leon Maxie - Trinity Valley

John Kyle Smith - 2A dwfwnsive player of the year - Louisiana College

John Wright - Louisiana College

Numerous baseball scholarships also - Adam Wright, Chad Ford, Matt Hamilton

Basketball - Josh Twine

if talented enough, the scouts or whomever will find you no mater what level.

also, i don't believe newton avoided ec in 06 or 07.  as i recall, hemphill gave ec all they wanted and then some in their bidistrict game in 06. and they were the third place district rep that season.  the old 'if' come into play here.  if the hornets had not fumbled  going in for  1 touchdown and a questionable offensive interference call at the end of the game, i'm sure they would have played a much better game against mart the following week.  but give ec credit, they won a hard fought contest.

a good number of athletes from hemphill have been noticed on the 2A level:

Ben Wilkerson = LSU - All American - National Championship= Remington Award as nation's top lineman

Keldrick Holman - SFA - All American DB

Blake Martin - Sam Houston All American TE

Larron Singleton, Scott Morgan, Ed Henson - SFA

Willis Washington - Trinity Valley - Central Oklahoma

Leon Maxie - Trinity Valley

John Kyle Smith - 2A dwfwnsive player of the year - Louisiana College

John Wright - Louisiana College

Numerous baseball scholarships also - Adam Wright, Chad Ford, Matt Hamilton

Basketball - Josh Twine

if talented enough, the scouts or whomever will find you no mater what level.

also, i don't believe newton avoided ec in 06 or 07.  as i recall, hemphill gave ec all they wanted and then some in their bidistrict game in 06. and they were the third place district rep that season.  the old 'if' come into play here.  if the hornets had not fumbled  going in for  1 touchdown and a questionable offensive interference call at the end of the game, i'm sure they would have played a much better game against mart the following week.  but give ec credit, they won a hard fought contest.

Yes remember I knew someone would make that argument. I didn't say it was impossible. This is simply my opinion based on experience. It's easier to be recognized at a larger school than it is at a smaller school. No disrespect to any small school.

td you are absolutely correct. When you drop classifications your exposure(especially by the media), the fields you play on, and yes even the officiating all step down with you. If you have kids that play, every bit of experience as well as talent can count towards moving on to the next level. If they can get a college education payed for, any size school, that is great and they need every advantage they can get. All this about Barbay can be argued from now on, but I hope when the day comes that Newton is not as strong as it has been(and that day will come), we can play teams that are coached by someone like Barbay. I can tell you he is not about embarassing anybody (especially kids) and don't "dodge" any team.

Guest EagleFan01

We have been through this over and over again Barbay and his Newton Eagles did not avoid EC in 06 and 07. Barbay avoids no contest from anyone. When I ask him about this statement he told me he was was going to play EC but instead Carthage called and wanted to play a home and away. So lets think about this 3A Carthage or 2A EC who will make you a better team in the long run I think he made a better decision by playing Carthage.

...then went on-air after the 08 game and said "they ain't no good" or words to that effect. That wasn't "honesty", that was gall. 

Actually it was neither..it was never said.  The actual exchange that EC fans on this board interpret to be Barbay saying "They ain't no good" was:

Reporter:  "Coach Barbay, another big win by a large margin.  Is this a sign of another deep playoff run?"

Barbay:  "Well I don't know about all that.  We haven't beaten anybody good yet."

Now you can interpret that however you want.  You can view it as Barbay saying everyone they beat was not good.  You can also (and more likely rightly) interpret that as a reference to the fact that at that point in the season Newton was 0-3 against "good" teams.

Now then, since he said that "We haven't beaten anybody good yet" and Newton HAD beaten EC twice you CAN infer from that that EC is was not good....but you are going pretty far out of your way to find something to get offended over. 

Even if you do..the actual statement was a pretty damn far cry from "They ain't any good."

The EC people were offended, but Newton blew them away in the playoffs with no effort. The way Coach Barbay has ALWAYS been is he pulls no punches and tells you what he thinks. If honesty in a question's answer is not what you want, don't ask him.

For what its worth, a lot of "EC people" feel the Barbay dodged EC when the Thomas, McDonald, Trammel group was there in 06 and 07. Yeah, the last years playoff blowout was a forgone conclusion; but the 08 squad bore very little resemblance to the two before it. EC requested the home & away with Newton in 06-07, and Barbay refused...then went on-air after the 08 game and said "they ain't no good" or words to that effect. That wasn't "honesty", that was gall. 

So, You just won't leave sleeping Eagles lay.... Will Ya???  The way I see it, ECBucFan, You Can Either Learn To Live With The Injustice Of It All, Or You Can Invent A Time Machine, So That We Can All Go Back To A Better Place And Time. You Know, Your Fantasy World. Get Over Yourself.

For all you Newton haters and Barbay haters I will tell you this.  Barbay has a way of saying things that come off bad sometimes like we have not played anyone very good yet.  I played for Barbay and was a blue chip that had many articles and was pursued by many schools. I did play college football and in Texas football magazine Curtis was quted as saying I could be a good player but I was not their yet.  I was all-state,all-distic,and named to the greater houston team. Barbay's level of thinking is very different than the average coach if he says a player and or team is ok they should take it as a complament, if he says they have not played anybody any good it is not disrespect they just have measured up to what he considers good.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder