Goose Creek Memorial vs Spring DeKaney-Final

Guest patriot117

Guest patriot117

GCM handles DeKaney 23-1 in 5 innings to pick up the schools first varsity win. The Patriots gave up a first inning run and never looked back. Soph. Price Jacobs lead the Patriot attack going 3 for 3 in two innings with a single, Grand Slam, single. Soph. Dalton Going was also 3 for 3 with 2 singles and a double. The first year Partiots were lead on the mound by Jr. Cody Butler, Jr. Mason Ball and Soph. Kendall Wilkerson. DeKaney managed a lone single in the contest.

Things should get a little tougher this weekend when GCM plays in the Humble tournament on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Guest patriot117

Jacobs, Patriots launch program with 23-1 win

By Robbie Magness

Correspondent 

Published February 25, 2009

On a night of firsts for the Goose Creek Memorial baseball program, Price Jacobs took the night’s biggest bow as the Patriots won their inaugural contest in a five-inning run-rule victory, 23-1 over Spring Dekaney.

On his second trip to the plate of the first inning, Jacobs ripped a 365-foot grand slam to left field to give the Patriots (1-0) a 9-0 lead. He had already delivered a single and run earlier in the inning, and he added an RBI single and run in the second inning before bowing out.

“We played a great game,†Jacobs said. “We want to show people we’re not messing around. We’re here to compete, and I think we’ve got a real good chance of making it to the playoffs and then, who knows?â€

With his first-inning performance, Jacobs put his name in the Patriot record books a handful of times: first hit, first run scored, first extra-base hit, first home run and first grand slam. Thinking for a moment about records that can never be taken away, he admitted feeling some emotion.

“It gives me goosebumps,†he said.

The Wildcats (0-1) struck first, scratching a Kristian Simpson run in the top of the first inning on a walk, throwing error and single by Rodney Young. It would be the final highlight of the night for Dekaney, as Patriot pitchers struck out 10 of the Wildcats’ final 12 batters.

“I like the way [our pitchers] threw the ball tonight,†said Patriots coach Chris Rupp. “We’ve got some guys that can burn some innings, and that creates a lot of possibilities.â€

GCM starter Cody Butler pitched two innings, allowing one unearned run on one hit and one walk, striking out four. Mason Ball struck out all three batters he faced in the third inning, as did Michael Martinez in the fifth. Kendall Wilkerson hit Young with a fourth-inning pitch to give the Wildcats their only baserunner after the first inning. Wilkerson faced the minimum three batters, though, when catcher Brandon Rhoden threw out Young trying to steal third base.

“We’re going to take the positives out of this win,†Rupp said. “It’s nothing to get too excited about. We beat these guys like we should have. I want these guys to know going into the season that they can win and win now. We’ve got guys with good experience from Sterling, which has a good program. They are no strangers to getting in there and playing.â€

Guest patriot117

The playoffs are an outside chance to ANYONE at this point in the season. (Do not count your chickens before they hatch.) They know not to start printing those playoff tickets after beating the likes of DeKaney. But a W is a W.

The Goose may be young, but they have some legitimate ball players. The ball takes some funny hops and you never know what you will get from a 16-17 year old kid at any school.

They are not counting themselves in, you should not count them out either. There is a lot of baseball left for everyone.

Guest patriot117

They are a 5A high school (a Vocational school I think) that is in Spring I S D. They play in a district with Klein, Klein Collins, Tomball and the other Spring schools. I think this is their 2nd year in varsity athletics. Definitely not a baseball school.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder