Jasper's HC Vacancy..Will Hire Tonight!!!!!!!

Bulldog92

They have good quality people right in their own backyard.  They already know the community and the kids they will be working with.  Why not give one of these men this opportunity.

It always amazes me that some people believe bringing someone in from a larger classification school is the 'best' solution.  I am sure the men being conisdered are quality people and leaders also.  This is nothing against them. I wish whomever the best.

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would Love to see Jasper run that Newton type offence are go back to the Power I and Sweep type offence.Time to go back to the old style of play from Jasper!!!!

heck its just time to go more than 2 rounds deep in the playoffs.

YES SIR!!!!!!

Kevin Byrd                    Off. Line Coach            Fort Bend Clements

W.T. Johnston              Def. Coord.                  Newton

Mike Bickham                Off. Coord.                  Tyler John Tyler H.S.

Danny Russell              Def. Coord.                  Garland H.S.

Brett Sawyer                Def. Coord.                  Richardson Berkner

Kris Micheaux              Head Coach                  Gonzalez H.S.

Kevin Byrd                    Off. Line Coach             Fort Bend Clements

W.T. Johnston               Def. Coord.                  Newton

Mike Bickham                Off. Coord.                   Tyler John Tyler H.S.

Danny Russell               Def. Coord.                  Garland H.S.

Brett Sawyer                 Def. Coord.                  Richardson Berkner

Kris Micheaux               Head Coach                  Gonzalez H.S.

The offense and special teams need the most help. So, if I'm looking at that alone, I'm saying Byrd and Bickham. However, I don't know Micheaux's background. Then, how can you go wrong w/ Johnston. Yes, Jasper needs a good leader. But, he still better produce a winner and we're kidding ourselves if we don't think that should be a factor.

Per the Victoria Advocate and Texas HS Football:

Kris Micheaux is a Baylor Bear (played linebacker). He was promoted from defensive coordinator to head coach/AD last year after the previous coach went to Gainesville. Micheaux began his coaching career as an assistant at West before becoming a graduate assistant at Middle Tennessee State. He was the running backs coach at Tyler Junior College for one season before coaching at Royse City for one season and serving as the defensive coordinator at Moody for a season. He coached at Katy Taylor for two seasons, the second as co-defensive coordinator.

But looking at his employment history, how long would he remain at Jasper? He has not stayed anywhere more than two years. How can you build any kind of winning atmosphere in that time frame, "good coach" or not?

that has always been important to me

We need a coach that's going to be in jasper for more than two years.

When making the statement concerning why individuals think hiring someone from a larger classification school is the better hire, I was making a generalized comment. 

I am well aware Gonzales is a 3A school. But just in case I didn't, thanks for informing me.

But looking at his employment history, how long would he remain at Jasper? He has not stayed anywhere more than two years. How can you build any kind of winning atmosphere in that time frame, "good coach" or not?

Need a GOOD coach that's going to be in jasper for more than two years.  :)  Twenty at least.  ;)

That is how you build a program.  It is the smart man that knows when to stay put.  Some stay put and have a good career.  Others chase the "big job" and eventually do not do well.  The coach before Barbay at Newton won state in the seventies, and immediately moved on to "greener" pastures, then again, then again, .........  In the meantime, Barbay has stayed put and built a dynasty.  It can pay to stay put.  No doubt about it.  That is the kind of coach Jasper needs.  A good coach who will appreciate the talent Jasper offers, and stay and cultivate that talent.

I noticed that also. On the plus side, he's young and probably a very talented coach that could be there for many years to come if he has success and likes Jasper. Maybe he has other influences that would keep him there. Coach Walkoviak had a few jobs before he settled down in Jasper, too, and they were roughly the same age when the Jasper job came up. I know it's hard to compare the two because these are different times, but we'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt if Brooks decides to bring him on board.

Need a GOOD coach that's going to be in jasper for more than two years.   :)  Twenty at least.   ;)

I'm sure no one knew that GW would be there as long as he was, including him. It just kinda worked out that way. He had a young family for most of that time, too, and it would have been difficult to move them around. Maybe Micheaux is in a similar situation and needs a nice place to plant roots.

I don't know the guy at Gonzalez but let's look at his track record.  People say they want someone to stay at Jasper for more than a couple of years.

West - HS Asst.

MTS - GA ( Doesn't pay )

TJC - Salaried Pos.

Royse City - More $ good program

Moody - Promotion to DC

KAty Taylor - 5A and was Co DC his second year there

Gonzalez - DC to HC

Looks like he is a go getter who has worked hard to climb the ladder not a guy that has just moved to move.  I like it.

This Is fun and scary all at the same time. Those of us that played at Jasper and those of us who are grads. and those who are still in school are hopeing for a Hard working hard nose coach that know it's more than about football but turning young men into men.I can truly say that Playing at Jasper under Coach G.W. and coach's like ratcliff, Hadnot,And that Coach At KVille what's his name again? Just playing Kville fans we all know Coach A. is good as they get.Just hope we can get that Power house Title back is been a long time. Let's Go DOGS!!!!!!!!! CLASS OF 95 FOR LIFE

Well I tell you it does get tiresome if you are continually used only as a stepping stone.  In my memory, and that goes back a bit, every coach except Walkoviak (and Lauve to a lesser extent) left as soon as they had a deep run in the playoffs.  Lauve left only after things turned sour and perhaps that was the best move for him and the school.  But the others were simply opportunistic in my opinion.

But that just makes me respect the Walkoviaks and Barbays even more.  It can just simply be smart to stay put.  Now that may be okay with some people for a coach to use your school simply as a stepping stone.  But it is also okay for us to wish for something better.  If I were doing the hiring, I would certainly do my very best to try to avoid the stone steppers.

But regardless who they bring in, I will support them and hope for the best.

By the way, I think Walkoviak had only one or two years at the high school level, I think maybe it was at Mathis, then he went back to Texas A&I as a graduate assistant and got his masters.  He was only 28 when he came to Jasper as HC so he had not done a lot of jumping around.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder