HJ at OF Updates/HJ Wins By 5!!

Lazeek

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know if they took it too us... it seems like we were our own worst enemy in this gamee...  foul trouble and i think they got overconfident cuz it was OF.. same thing happened against BC tuesday.. im not worried.. they jus havce some off nights... better to get them out of the way now... at least when we dont play good and OF plays good we still win..  ;D ;D

silsbee will win BIG against OF so dont gete ur hopes up..

to be honest this is one of the worst hardin jefferson teams i have ever seen. if i wasnt for jarvis or jacoby they would struggle to win 10 games this year.

I think you could lump many teams into that equation, not just HJ. You take anyone's two best players away, that particular team will struggle.

Why is that just because OF played HJ close its because HJ had an "off" night.  At least thats the impression i get from every comment on the board so far.  I thought OF had a good defensive gameplan tonight.  They stayed in Bernards face all night and played off the other guys a little bit and made the other guys try to beat them and it worked fairly well.  OF made their share of mistakes too which costs them the game.  OF was up 10 or 11 pts late in the 2nd and let HJ go on 4 or 6 point run to end the half, i thought that was a huge factor.  In both meetings OF makes stupid turnovers making an outlet pass from a defensive rebound.  That right there killed them i thought.  But the reason HJ had an "off" night is because OF had a defensive gameplan and executed it well.  This may come as a shock to everyone on the board, but there isnt a big gap in talent between these 2 teams, its a lot closer than yall think.  So the fact that this was a close game comes as no surprise to me.  If OF handles the pressure they can beat HJ on any given night.  Good luck to HJ in the playoffs.

Why is that just because OF played HJ close its because HJ had an "off" night.  At least thats the impression i get from every comment on the board so far.  I thought OF had a good defensive gameplan tonight.  They stayed in Bernards face all night and played off the other guys a little bit and made the other guys try to beat them and it worked fairly well.  OF made their share of mistakes too which costs them the game.  OF was up 10 or 11 pts late in the 2nd and let HJ go on 4 or 6 point run to end the half, i thought that was a huge factor.  In both meetings OF makes stupid turnovers making an outlet pass from a defensive rebound.  That right there killed them i thought.  But the reason HJ had an "off" night is because OF had a defensive gameplan and executed it well.  This may come as a shock to everyone on the board, but there isnt a big gap in talent between these 2 teams, its a lot closer than yall think.  So the fact that this was a close game comes as no surprise to me.  If OF handles the pressure they can beat HJ on any given night.  Good luck to HJ in the playoffs.

Good point, beeninnikes.

I agree beeninnikes although I will argue that OF does not have the talent that HJ has!!!  Great gameplan for OF and they shot the lights out from 3s tonight as well as Hayes having a good game offensively!!  Hayes was the difference in tonights game compared to the game 3 weeks ago!!!

Great job HJ on pulling it out!!!

ppl are sayin this is a bad hj team... wow..  29-5?  im sure 90 percent of schools in this state would take that record during an off year... i dont think you can only judge a team by how bad the play on certain nights compared to others, but were finding ways too deal with adversities and on bad nights still pull out the W.. and thats all that matters....  coach sutherland is a great coach so this performance wont carry over to the next game... good game tonight OF..

to be honest this is one of the worst hardin jefferson teams i have ever seen. if i wasnt for jarvis or jacoby they would struggle to win 10 games this year.

not the smartest thing ive heard all day.. this is kinda like sayin if the celtics didnt have ray allen, paul pierce, or KG then they wouldnt have won the finals but the thing is they do have those guys and we have jarvis and jacoby... oh yea and you forgot about trey???/... i could also take about 3 players off silsbee and they wouldnt make it past the 3rd round of the playoffs... (not takin a shot at silsbee jus tryin to prove a point),,,,

Beeninnikes I also would like to add to the fact that you think that HJ and OF are very similar!!!!  How do you figure.  Benard is better than Hayes.  Turner is not a great offensive threat but is a animal on D and on the glass for only being 5'11.  Burrell has had his moments this year.  The only real difference maker is Angelle and HJ kept him in check tonight.  Benard, Turner and Burrell.............OF cannot put 3 players on the floor that can compete with them.  As far as the rest of the team is concerned is where OF can make up some ground, but not enough to be close to HJ!!!!  OF had their chance tonight and let it slip away, but OF is not as good as HJ this year and it is a "so called" down year for the Hawks!!!!!

I approached Zach Hayes after the game to tell him great game.  He is very polite and he said he let the emotion of the game get to him tonight when he was jawing at the HJ fans in the first half.  Nothing personal!!!!  Told him that the Zach Hayes that we saw tonight is the Zach Hayes that OF has been graced with over the last few years!!!!!  Best of luck Hayes with all of your adventures........except when you play HJ!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Glad to hear that about Hayes, Zeek.  All the Orangefield kids seem like good kids.  I liked their student section tonight.

Yes, it was another off night for HJ.  I think the Silsbee loss hurt our shooters' confidence levels a bit.  Many missed layups and free throws-- I think we missed seven FTs in a row at one point.  Too much slop, silly fouls, and turnovers.  Jarvis played with a chest cold or flu-- we need to get him 100% well by playoffs!-- and still had a decent game.  Missed the Hawk Hecklers-- I guess they were all at the girls' game?  Kudos to Orangefield's scrappy effort, game plan, and execution.

It is hard to compare Jarvis and Hayes due to the age difference.  Hayes is just turning 17, Jarvis is 19.  @ 2 years makes a huge difference.  You  would have to campare hime to a freshman or soph in college which then puts things into perspective.  That is not to take away from Bernard because I think if you take him out of the picture then the team loses everything.  Turner can play d but is not a serious threat to score except slashing which OF controlled pretty well tonight.  Burell was a non factor as I have seen against alot of teams this year.  It was not until Jarvis got hot tonight that HJ got back into it.  My mvp was Angelle simply becasue of the job he did on Bernard in the first half. You can talk about the fouls but the big 3 got frustrated and made some poor decisions in the first half.  To your credit a good team finds a way to win and they did that tonight.  Good luck the rest of the way.

It is hard to compare Jarvis and Hayes due to the age difference.  Hayes is just turning 17, Jarvis is 19.  @ 2 years makes a huge difference.  You  would have to campare hime to a freshman or soph in college which then puts things into perspective.  That is not to take away from Bernard because I think if you take him out of the picture then the team loses everything.  Turner can play d but is not a serious threat to score except slashing which OF controlled pretty well tonight.  Burell was a non factor as I have seen against alot of teams this year.  It was not until Jarvis got hot tonight that HJ got back into it.  My mvp was Angelle simply becasue of the job he did on Bernard in the first half. You can talk about the fouls but the big 3 got frustrated and made some poor decisions in the first half.  To your credit a good team finds a way to win and they did that tonight.  Good luck the rest of the way.

How can you say that he was a non-factor......played good D, had several boards, caused several TO's, hit a 3 early in the 4th, had a huge 3pt play in the 4th.  How is that a non-factor????

If you want an outsiders opinion on the big 3, heres mine.  Bernard is by far the best of the 3, by far the best shooter of the 3.  He is a very good player.  Turner is quick, very good defensively, can drive to the basket very well and hits some 3's.  Burrell is the lowest of the 3.  The 3 pointer you spoke of that he hit was because he was wide open and no one was covering him.  I think thats the first field goal i've seen him hit in a game that wasnt a layup or dunk.  Hayes guarded Burrell most of the night and played off of him and Burrell wouldnt shoot it.  I dont think Burrell had more than 8 pts tonight and i dont remember much that he did in the game, so i agree that he was a bit of a nonfactor.  I do remember Bernard coming through in clutch moments and Turner getting crucial steals for HJ.  I think Burrell is a good slasher, and a pretty good defender, but below average on shooting and decision making with the ball.  I've actually been impressed with Ricossa in some of the games i've seen him play.  I think Bernard and Turner are deserving of the praise they get on this board, but i think your big 3 might actually be Bernard, Turner, and Ricossa.

Guest nostradamus

I guess that is why it is an "outsiders opinion".  On the outside you think you see what players bring to a team.  Burrell brings so much more to the team that what has been mentioned here.  HJ played 9 games w/o him last year due to a broken jaw and they were no where near the same team.  He was unanimous first team all district last year despite missing those nine games.  Those on the outside don't have any clue what these young men deal with or might be going through (and in order to save someone/anyone wasting their time with the "making excuses" card) so I think it is questionable at the very best for people to make the comments that have been made.

Find me a team in this district that wouldn't take Burrell right now.

My point was that JB is the go to guy, Burell was a much better player last year.  Turner can't take over a game like Bernard and Burrell just is not the same player that he was, especially if you get in his head early.  Bernard struggled early but came up big in the the latter part of the game.  Burrell sat alot and Turner really did not do alot other than play d.  If it were JB sitting like Burrell had to this game is not close and that is why JB is a good player.  Burrell is athletic, but not a good shooter and does not play great defense. JB is going to be the player that you all will miss the most. But, back to my original post, he should dominate based upon his age over the majority of kids in the district, 2 years is a big difference in basketball.

Here is a real outside opinion because I barely know anything about the boys side of action....

I would take all three HJ players in question on my team and Hayes and several others from OF.

They are all great players and the few times I have been able to see them, they all do things to make their teams better. It is not always points which matter the most.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami