Parents out of bounds; respect for coaches waning

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you use to judge both god and bad coaches??

Lots of aspects to coaching.  A short list would be

1) Decision making(always subjective, but over time, you get a feel for whether the guy really knows baseball)

2) Player development(Do they take the time to work on players weaknesses, or just write them off)

3) Ability to interact with the kids(kids don't have to love the coach, but he must have some method of communication which makes the game fun for the kids or they won't play for him/her)

4)  Ability to interact with umpires(yelling isn't always the answer)

These are things I judge a coach on, you might have different criteria, such as wins v losses.  Hard to argue with a winner.

There are good and bad high school coaches.  I just bugs me when someone says I should never criticize a coach.  Why does everyone seem to assume that parents do not know anything about baseball, because we decided to do something for a living other than coaching.  Likewise, some seem to think that all coaches must be good at what they do, or they wouldn't be coaching.

Personally, I don't care if it's a select coach or high school coach.   If they are good at what they do, they will get the respect they deserve.  If not, well they don't get the respect they don't deserve.  Why does respect seem to be waning?  As parents, in this age of year round baseball, we have all seen lots of coaches and are probably better able to tell the good from the bad.-----JMHO

on target

westend1

1) Decision making(always subjective, but over time, you get a feel for whether the guy really knows baseball)

• This is assuming you have enough knowledge to stand in judgement of those decisions, BIG ASSUMPTION.

2) Player development(Do they take the time to work on players weaknesses, or just write them off)

• This is assuming you are at practice and in period offseason workouts to truely know what the coach is working on with each kid.     

3) Ability to interact with the kids(kids don't have to love the coach, but he must have some method of communication which makes the game fun for the kids or they won't play for him/her)

• So little Johny isn't having fun and the coach is a poor motivator. Again assuming you are around enough to actually see how the coach interacts with the kids, in the hall, locker room, weight room, on track, on the field during school, after shool practice.

• Come on, this one just makes you look silly, and puts your credibility into real question.

It is one thing to criticize if you are truely close enough to the situation to have in depth knowledge. I know few parents who do have this inside knowledge.  Though I am sure you are one of the ones that doesn't let that stop you.

westend1

• This is assuming you have enough knowledge to stand in judgement of those decisions, BIG ASSUMPTION.

• This is assuming you are at practice and in period offseason workouts to truely know what the coach is working on with each kid.     

• So little Johny isn't having fun and the coach is a poor motivator. Again assuming you are around enough to actually see how the coach interacts with the kids, in the hall, locker room, weight room, on track, on the field during school, after shool practice.

• Come on, this one just makes you look silly, and puts your credibility into real question.

It is one thing to criticize if you are truely close enough to the situation to have in depth knowledge. I know few parents who do have this inside knowledge.  Though I am sure you are one of the ones that doesn't let that stop you.

I was asked how I discern a good from a bad one.  Why don't you tell us how to do it if you know so much?  Do you truly believe that nobody should question a coaches judgment?  Sounds like you are the robotic fool.

ps---I never asked for credibility in your eyes.  Means nothing to me.  and, I'm sorry that you can't tell the difference between a good coach and a bad one.              :D :D

westend1

I was asked how I discern a good from a bad one.  Why don't you tell us how to do it if you know so much?  Do you truly believe that nobody should question a coaches judgment?  Sounds like you are the robotic fool.

ps---I never asked for credibility in your eyes.  Means nothing to me.  and, I'm sorry that you can't tell the difference between a good coach and a bad one.               :D :D

Westend

I'm with you. Why is this issue so hard for some to understand ?

Ah...but this begs the question...if you are being an idiot parent, can I call THAT to your attention?  Like knowing good and bad coaches, we also know parents who know something about all aspects of the game, simply because they have been involved in all aspects of it, from voluteering as a coach, league official, umpire...you catch my drift.  Then there are the "students" of the game whose egos are so big, they always want to "teach" and never want to listen.  These egomaniacs always "know" better...and they never have done anything, other than sit in the stands and run their mouths. 

I have always beleived that you earn that right...not by being a biological contributor to your son's genetic pool, but by being involved in that same kid's journey as a player.  Being involved in running a league, and coaching and umpiring in one as well, it was always the ones who did the least, that complained the most.  So if I were to be asked what an "idiot" parent is like...MY knowledge of the game would enable me to point them out...

Ah...but this begs the question...if you are being an idiot parent, can I call THAT to your attention?  Like knowing good and bad coaches, we also know parents who know something about all aspects of the game, simply because they have been involved in all aspects of it, from voluteering as a coach, league official, umpire...you catch my drift.  Then there are the "students" of the game whose egos are so big, they always want to "teach" and never want to listen.  These egomaniacs always "know" better...and they never have done anything, other than sit in the stands and run their mouths. 

I have always beleived that you earn that right...not by being a biological contributor to your son's genetic pool, but by being involved in that same kid's journey as a player.  Being involved in running a league, and coaching and umpiring in one as well, it was always the ones who did the least, that complained the most.  So if I were to be asked what an "idiot" parent is like...MY knowledge of the game would enable me to point them out...

on target as well

on target as well

Yep.

Ha ha.  There I kids I would never take, back in my youth coaching days simply because I didn't want to deal with their parents.

So true...there were many agonizing moments at sign ups when the feeling was "that guy can keep his money, we're not letting his kid sign up, so we don't have to deal with mom and dad".  Then, we would look at the kids...and decide that we would have to suck it up, simply because it wasn't the kids fault that he had idiots for parents...

I guess because I have learned from participation in all aspects of the game, I tend to have a lot more patience, and therefore forgive a lot more.  Then again, my son had a high school coach who had the "cred" in taking his teams into the off season, that in complaining, I would have looked like a fool...

I have seen high school coaches take a team with literally no baseball talent and improve the team's skills tremendously.  At the end of the season there were no playoffs, but one could certainly tell that TEACHING had gone on during the season.  These are perhaps the coaches that are deserving of Coach of the Year, rather than the coach of the district winner.  But that's not how the game is played.  Bottom line...there ARE good and bad coaches.  More good than bad!  Many times parents are out of hand and it is 'my child' over 'the team.'  Many posts have made this same statement...I concur.  There are more positive parents/fans than negative, but it seems even if it is one parent, it is a cancer for the entire community of coaches, players, and fans of the game.  A coach is a teacher first, as has been stated, and that teaching goes on on the field as well as in the classroom. I know coaches that have even tutored their players in athletics period to help them stay eligible during the season.  There are many behind-the-scenes activities to help players that the majority does not see or know about.  I appreciate Scott Kaiser's article. 

I think that some are forgetting that it's not whether select teams are the way to go or not.  It's the parent's attitude.  A lot of the problem today is that kids lack respect for the authority figure.  They learn this from their parents.  You may not agee with the coach, but  is it really the time to let everyone know what you think during the game?  That should be done some other time, quietly.  When I hear someone yelling at a coach in any sport, I want to ask the person why he doesn't have a degree and isn't the coach since he(or she) seems to know everything.  That person not only makes a fool of themselves, but is very annoying to the other fans.

.....and no, I have never been a coach , nor have any family in coaching.

The worst parent for any team is the guy that floats around the ballpark spreading his disease of discontent.  The other parents see him coming and know what he is going to say before he ever gets to them.  "The coach is an idiot."  "I can't believe he is not smart enough to play or pitch my son".  This guy says this to the parents of the kids that are playing and they cordially agree just to get him away from them.  They have seen the kid play and they understand.  But his best friend on game day is the parent of a kid that is not in the line up.  Those two will visit for twice as long as the last conversation.  Every team in southeast texas has this parent and most of you already visualized your "floating disease" as you read this.  Another clue to being able to recognize this guy is that he is the one with an excuse for everything his son has ever done wrong. 

I think that some are forgetting that it's not whether select teams are the way to go or not.  It's the parent's attitude.  A lot of the problem today is that kids lack respect for the authority figure.  They learn this from their parents.  You may not agee with the coach, but  is it really the time to let everyone know what you think during the game?  That should be done some other time, quietly.  When I hear someone yelling at a coach in any sport, I want to ask the person why he doesn't have a degree and isn't the coach since he(or she) seems to know everything.  That person not only makes a fool of themselves, but is very annoying to the other fans.

.....and no, I have never been a coach , nor have any family in coaching.

very reasonable post and most coaches are fine people and will listen in a closed setting---they may not agree with you and that is ok as well-----but fans need to be respectful and coaches sometimes need to listen

Guest patriot117

Not when it comes to how the game is managed or who plays where. The coach, no matter what a parent thinks they know, is the only one who can manage his team. It is not a democracy, we as parents do not have a "vote."  That is the only way it can work.

Not when it comes to how the game is managed or who plays where. The coach, no matter what a parent thinks they know, is the only one who can manage his team. It is not a democracy, we as parents do not have a "vote."  That is the only way it can work.

absolutely correct--a parent has absolutely zero say in who plays where or how much and so on  and so on....but players and parents do have a vote about how kid is treated or how a manager can show his "backside" in public--I have seen to many players "vote with their feet" and go run track

I think a asked two questions.....are you answering the questions with a question???

I didn't SAY anything.........i asked two questions....do you have answers??

no need to go postal -----

1. a coach should LISTEN to any concern a parent has----he does not have to agree but he should listen---EVERYBODY in a position of authority should listen

2. this should be done in a CLOSED SETTING as I stated in an earlier post

NOW:

Do you think that a coach should never listen to a parent????

Guest patriot117

If a parent has concerns with a coach:  (1) Schedule a conference (2) Voice your opinion, and (3)Accept the answers.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is accept the truth.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder