Dayton's Macho Attitude

It's long been said that when you visit someone else's house you mind your manners so they'll invite you back.

"Our number one job is to protect our kids," said Jerry Stewart, athletic director and head football coach of the Dayton Broncos. "No way does a coach or coaching staff come into our house, step out on that football field and point fingers and get into the faces of our kids. If they do, then they're going to find us between them and our kids and that's what happened Thursday night," said the coach.

The Dayton Broncos hosted the Montgomery Bears (18-4A) in a scrimmage held at Bronco Stadium on Thursday evening, Aug. 24. After a couple sets of controlled scrimmages, the teams lined up to play a half, or two quarters of "game conditions" football. The only variance would be in the kicking game. There was to be no rushing on punts or extra point kicks, and there were no kickoffs, kickoff returns, or punt returns.

The "game conditions" scrimmage proceeded without incident until about five minutes into the quarter. Montgomery was on offense and their running back had been stopped by the Bronco defense, but did not go down. An unidentified Bronco defender held on to the player after the whistle sounded and a referee threw a yellow flag.

At about the same time, about ten yards downfield of the just described incident, near the Montgomery sideline, Montgomery coach John Bolfing and a couple of assistants came out on the field in the direction of some of the Dayton defenders with fingers pointing in what appeared to be angry gestures.

"When I saw that, the next thing I knew I was between those coaches and my kids along with the rest of my coaching staff," said Stewart.

Stewart went on to say that after asking what the problem was he was informed that the coach had taken exception to one of his players and simply would not back off.

"It doesn't matter," said Stewart. "We'll take care of our kids. If you have a problem with one or more of our kids, then you tell us and we'll take care of it, we'll discipline our kids, but you're (another coach) not. Those coaches have their own players to tend to."

Finally, order was restored. The referees stepped off the 15-yard penalty originally called, and the ball was set for play.

Montgomery broke a team huddle on the sidelines. They began jumping up and down and chanting. The Broncos witnessed what was going on and started doing the same thing. To say the teams were fired up would be an understatement.

Montgomery scored a few plays later, missing the extra point, but Coach Bolfing didn't help his situation.

"After they scored, he came onto the field shaking his fist," said Stewart. That was ok, because we were fired up and had something for him."

Sure enough, after the kick-off, the Broncos took possession at their own 30-yard line and covered the 70 yards quickly to score. The extra-point kick was good, and Dayton led 7-6.

Montgomery took possession at their 30, but an errant pass by QB Xavier Webb was picked off by LB Jacob Pickle who managed a decent return. Dayton quickly scored again, again kicked true on the PAT, and led the Bears 14-6.

"It was at that time the referee came over and informed us that the other coach said he was only going to play this quarter, and go home," explained Stewart. "I objected because I had another quarterback I needed to look at, as well as some other things. The referee said that he said we were supposed to use a running clock, but that was not true, and the refs knew it, too, but said he was leaving."

Sure enough, when time expired after the first 12 minutes of play, the Montgomery football team and coaching staff left the playing field.

"Well, we won't be going to Montgomery next year for a return visit. He walked off from a scrimmage and we haven't seen that since 1999 when Port Neches-Groves did the same thing. We'll find another opponent to scrimmage next fall," Stewart said.

Kudos to the Dayton coach, and shame on the Montgomery coach for being a big baby. He was way out of line. That is just like someone I don't know disciplining my daughter for something I don't know about. I would jump off in that person's chili as well. Nice going Dayton coach. Very level headed response to the situation.

Guys, remember, we're hearing one side of the story. I'M NOT AT ALL SAYING DAYTON DID ANYTHING WRONG, but it would be interesting to hear it from the Magnolia coaches perspective too. It's hard to imagine another head coach acting this way without more provocation than what has been portrayed here.

Stewart owns dayton' date=' WTF does that mean?

He's just another overpaid coach as far as i'm concerened, and i will be reminded of how much in a couple of months when the property taxes are mailed out[/quote']

Move somewhere else where the coach does not make as much.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder