Let me show you guys something

Guest DickVitale

I'll chime in here since I was involved in said player's recruiting process.  He played his junior high and 9th grade years in Spring ISD.  In fact, was slated to be the back-up to Nic Wise going into his sophomore year before he moved back to HJ.  During the spring of his senior year he went and played in a couple of unsigned senior events over in Houston.  The 5A coach that put these on is a friend of mine.  He called me following each event.  His exact words were:  "If this kid had played 5A ball in Houston he would have been signed after his junior season."  He told me that he straight up outplayed several kids that were juniors that were getting offers from Nebraska, Texas Tech, Wisconsin, and the likes.  The bottom line is, how many major DI coaches will make the trip to Sour Lake, Texas to see a kid play unless he is a guard averaging 40 a game or he is a post man that is 6'10" or better.  The major DI guys aren't gonna do it.  The SLC guys will because those are the types of kids the SLC has to go find.....they can't just show up at an AAU tournament and sign the 10 best players there.  They have to find the talented ones that haven't been seen.  Said player could have played and excelled just fine at a high mid-major level.  He was given mis-information and chose to believe it.

During his recruiting process SFA wanted him very badly.  The ONLY reason they even came to watch him was because the assistant coach there was a former high school coach and an acquaintance.....so SFA sent him down to watch a game.....after that one game SUDDENLY the head coach started showing up...it was like they couldn't believe that a legit player could come from such a small town so they don't want to waste their time.

IMO, the A's ONLY matter because that is a stereotype that universities have developed.  Perhaps it is because if you go to a 5A game to watch you will see a bigger collection of better players than at a lower level??  Bottom line is, if a kid can play then he can play.

Ah Nos, obviously you and I were in the same meeting one lazy evening with a certain UT recruiter and a certain D-1 coach (hmmm?). Yep, he was receiving "bad" advice from a certain coach through a certain family member. The offer never came.

He hasn't made up his mind as far as I know! But I'm sure no where big! Because he's from a 3A school.

It depends. To be honest with you, this kid's name isn't mentioned when you began to discuss guards in the Greater Houston area. I would recommend him attending some of the exposure camps in the Houston area after the season. His stock could rise when he plays against other players.

....I'll chime in here since I was involved in said player's recruiting process.  He played his junior high and 9th grade years in Spring ISD.  In fact, was slated to be the back-up to Nic Wise going into his sophomore year before he moved back to HJ......

please clarify, Nic Wise never played in Spring ISD. Are you referring to the first 6 weeks of school he attended, but never played, during Aug-Labor Day, at Westfield?

I know Silsbee has had players... Thad and Lou were on successful 4A programs.  Lou was a good mid-major player and a great find by Lamar.  Thad was a cool 6'1" D1 PG.  He was exceptional and that is why he made it to Tennessee.  Now don't be confused Tennessee was not major then, Bruce pearl has made that team competitive, but I still think Thad would be real there today. 

Look at what the area had at that time though...  Three programs in the top of the 5A (Central) and 4A (Sislbee and Lincoln) classifications.  Two more leget teams that were strong in the area (Westbrook and TJ).  There were BIG time recruits in the area, Emmanuel McElroy, Skip, Duby, Thad, Lou, Jeremy Long, Golden, Ronnie Davis, Riley, etc...  The area was well exposed...

In 3A you can't go on a player stats... The overall level of competition will balloon a good players stats.  The sheer fact is that most small town kids have little competition and their skills do not grow.  That is the reason why Trey Peters (6'5"), Ashton Hall 6'6"), the Hancocks (all 6' and bigger), and Shanon Robinson (plain as can be is too small) all play summer ball in Beaumont and Houston form childhood... They are the exceptions in talent.  But those one or two exceptional 1A - 3A.  Silsbee has one of the best coaching staffs in the area and the have a athletic lineage so they will be good and will compete strongly.  But there is a gap in talent, competition, and quality between the lower levels and 4A and 5A... Hands down!

Guest nostradamus

I guess it is a good think Missouri didn't read this thread before they signed Sean Weatherspoon 3 years ago.  He has only lead their team in tackles and is a two year All Big 12 defensive player along with being named to the All-American team this year as a junior.....and to think.....he played at a "small school" in a "small town".

I guess that Texas could have gotten a better starting QB than Colt McCoy then from a small 2A school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Size of the school really means nothing if you truly have a gifted player!!!

Okay, I know I might stir some thought here, but you can't compare basketball and football. You will always find an exceptional football player in the 2-A/3-A ranks to play major D-1 ball. When it comes to basketball, there is more to it than just physical ability.

I guess that Texas could have gotten a better starting QB than Colt McCoy then from a small 2A school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Size of the school really means nothing if you truly have a gifted player!!!

Okay, I know I might stir some thought here, but you can't compare basketball and football. You will always find an exceptional football player in the 2-A/3-A ranks to play major D-1 ball. When it comes to basketball, there is more to it than just physical ability.

thats why he said truly gifted player...

OK, even on the 2A and 3A level there are not as many talented guys... That is why it is so easy to name them all... Football in Texas is so strong that you can find small school kids that can truely play.. Florida and Cali are the same way, but after there you can cut this conversation... Texas football is an entire other conversation....

OK, even on the 2A and 3A level there are not as many talented guys... That is why it is so easy to name them all... Football in Texas is so strong that you can find small school kids that can truely play.. Florida and Cali are the same way, but after there you can cut this conversation... Texas football is an entire other conversation....

God points!!!

The reason that there are more division one prospects that come out of larger schools is because there are very seldom quality big guys at these schools.  That means that a 6'4" player is very likely to play in the post.  That is not going to work well at the next level.  At that height you are going to have to play the 2 or 3 spot in division one ball.  Coaches at these smaller schools have to work with what they have, and when your tallest player is maybe 6'3" to 6'5" it is very difficult to let him develop at a guard spot in high school.

The reason that there are more division one prospects that come out of larger schools is because there are very seldom quality big guys at these schools.  That means that a 6'4" player is very likely to play in the post.   That is not going to work well at the next level.  At that height you are going to have to play the 2 or 3 spot in division one ball.  Coaches at these smaller schools have to work with what they have, and when your tallest player is maybe 6'3" to 6'5" it is very difficult to let him develop at a guard spot in high school.

That can be a tough situation (sometimes a curse)for a young kid  who is 6'0 plus and in middle school. Especially if he doesn't get the experience at playing the guard spot and always playing the post or forward. I've seen a handful of fathers who recognize the situation and if the kid is gifted enough with "handles," will get the exp. at the 1 or 2 spot.

People tend to focus on today and not on what the ultimate goal is.  For others they just are not willing to put in the necessary work outside of practice and games

And you have parents who bask in Little Johnny's accomplishments in 2 OR 3-A but don't have the skills to compete outside their comfort zones.

Couple of things to point out that I haven't seen yet. 

1st= at the smaller schools, your athletic kids are playing all sports.  Not just one.  At the larger schools, don't most of these kids usually concentrate on one sport year around?

2nd= in order to truly judge this, shouldn't you be looking at the percentage of kids that go on to the next level based on school population?  If you have 1 kid out of 300 students at the 2A high school make it to the next level, wouldn't that  be the same as 5 kids out of a 1500 school pop playing at the college level? 

I would say check your percentages and this will tell you if small school is equal to big school.  Not knowing which off hand, I would say that they are pretty close to equal.  Athletes can be found at all levels.  There are more at larger schools naturally because of the numbers.  Now all things considered, I can see where recruiters or coaches may spend more time at 4-5a schools.  Maybe it's because of the percentages or maybe these kids are playing at a higher level because there are more players of quality on that team to raise their game or they play all somewhere year around.  I will not believe though that you must leave the numbers out like you stated in the very first post.

Couple of things to point out that I haven't seen yet. 

1st= at the smaller schools, your athletic kids are playing all sports.  Not just one.  At the larger schools, don't most of these kids usually concentrate on one sport year around?

2nd= in order to truly judge this, shouldn't you be looking at the percentage of kids that go on to the next level based on school population?  If you have 1 kid out of 300 students at the 2A high school make it to the next level, wouldn't that  be the same as 5 kids out of a 1500 school pop playing at the college level? 

I would say check your percentages and this will tell you if small school is equal to big school.  Not knowing which off hand, I would say that they are pretty close to equal.  Athletes can be found at all levels.  There are more at larger schools naturally because of the numbers.  Now all things considered, I can see where recruiters or coaches may spend more time at 4-5a schools.  Maybe it's because of the percentages or maybe these kids are playing at a higher level because there are more players of quality on that team to raise their game or they play all somewhere year around.  I will not believe though that you must leave the numbers out like you stated in the very first post.

OldWiseOne, I can go along with your theory in football but not basketball. Basketball is far more complicated than some other sports.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124