Master's degree or not, being a HS football coach takes a lot of hard Work

KFDM COOP

The article quotes Dan Hooks as saying..

"When you graduated from college, that was it," Hooks said about when he got hired at WO-S in 1977, first as an assistant coach and later as head coach. "Now they are upping the requirements, and I don't know why. Most athletic directors at large programs don't teach."

Actually, there is nothing new about the requirements for HC/AD at PN-G.  In 1977, Doug Ethridge was coaching the Indians and held a Master's degree.  His predecessor, Ken Watson, who coached during the "Jeff the Jet" days, also held a Master's Degree.  Three coaches following Ethridge (Butch Troy, Danny Malone, and Tim Owen) also held Master's degrees.  Burnett apparently was an exception to the rule.

I don't believe it is about teaching per se, but the adminstrative duties associated with the job.  Not sure if it was a requirement, but I think it was because I recall people being surprised when MB was named HC without the Masters.

True...it's about more than coaching...it's about management as well....oh that's Co Eric Jackson...they spelled his name wrong...Go Jags!  I wish him well, but hope he doesn't leave the Jags anytime soon!

I have asked why a masters degree is required also, the answers are administrative duties, laws and etc. 

I really don't understand how a masters degree in PE or History or Biology are going to help a coach be any better at administrative work.  I doubt very seriously that they are going to teach you much about that in any of these classes.  Now if it was a masters in business or education maybe, but that is still a stretch.

In my opinion it is an ego thing with the school administrators, they don't want someone making the same money as them without a masters. JMO

We are at the mercy of the "powers that be" in this one, as a PNG fan.  I just hope we get a good coach that will work hard and instill in these young men that play every Friday night, good concepts that will give them success, not only on the field, but also that they can carry with them the rest of thier lives.

Hopefully some news soon! 8)

Coop, when do they start interviewing?

Post job              12/10/08

Form Interview Committee        12/17/08

Conduct Interview Committee Training  1/7/09

Application Deadline            1/9/09

Application Review            1/12 – 1/16/09

First Round Interviews        1/19 – 1/23/09

Selection of Semi Finalists        1/23/09

Second Round Interviews        1/30 – 2/3/09

Recommendation to the Board      2/10/09

Preferred Start Date            3/2/09 

I can not speak for this situation but as a rule if a coach has a masters degree it is educational administration which allows them to get a principal certification.  The principal certification, which use to be called a mid-management certification, is required to be an athletic director in almost all schools.  I am going through this very program right now and about 25% of the class is coaches that want to be head coach/athletic directors in the future.

The master's degree was explained at the school board meeting by the school board members themselves, which is open to the public the first Tuesday of every month. It is not to teach classes, it is not to be better than everyone else.

What's it for then?  Please inform those that couldn't make it to the board meeting. 

I can not speak for this situation but as a rule if a coach has a masters degree it is educational administration which allows them to get a principal certification.  The principal certification, which use to be called a mid-management certification, is required to be an athletic director in almost all schools.  I am going through this very program right now and about 25% of the class is coaches that want to be head coach/athletic directors in the future.

It is not REQUIRED by most schools.  It may be recommended but not required.

It is not REQUIRED by most schools.  It may be recommended but not required.

If the athletic director is responsible for funding that is reportable to TEA then they must have the proper certification.  Some schools still have the athletic director under the watch of the high school principal and in that case it would not be needed. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder